• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Dropped some washers into the back part of the bike

kaz

Reaction score
Visit site
I was trying to install a luggage rack. Did several mistakes, some of which ended up with washers somewhere down there.

I wonder if riding the bike would be safe with them inside, as perhaps they can bang repeatedly against the gas tank, or fall out and get into the chain somehow, or do some other damage.

If it is unsafe, what's the minimal amount of removal I need to do to get them back?

Thanks

Join the club. I fish around for a couple minutes with a magnetic pickup wand and give up. Eventually they'll turn up (or not).

Join the club. I fish around for a couple minutes with a magnetic pickup wand and give up. Eventually they'll turn up (or not).

I didn't even bother to fish with a magnet. Not sure if the washers I dropped are still down there of if they rattled out. Its been 3700 miles since installing my luggage rack. The washers are either firmly stuck somewhere or they are gone. No worries.

I lost an allen key down the front, bouncing behind the handlebars. Never could find it on the ground and hunting around in the bowels of the bike didn't see it there either. Half a year on and the bike is fine. Not as if random bits of conductive metal falling into the engine area could be a bad thing and all :-S

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

Guess I'm not seeing that grab-rail cap either.. Thanks all!

I lost an allen key down the front, bouncing behind the handlebars. Never could find it on the ground and hunting around in the bowels of the bike didn't see it there either. Half a year on and the bike is fine. Not as if random bits of conductive metal falling into the engine area could be a bad thing and all :-S

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

Talk about taking it up a notch :D

I stocked up on extra connectors, bolts etc because I'm constantly dropping them down in that black hole behind the tank.

I will take it up another notch. I once dropped the loose blade of a feeler guage down the Cam chain tunnel of a Z1300 Kawasaki. Fortunately it dropped on to the crankshaft. Thereafter followed the most delicate operation with a weak magnet to get it out. The relief was unimaginable. If it had gone further than the crank I was snookered.

LOL...joined the "washer down there" club. I think I lost 2 while installing a fender eliminator kit. 2K miles later, nothing has blown up or shorted out and I'm still alive....I think it's safe.

I've got some washers back there as well from disassembling the rear seat prop when I first got the bike and was installing the oem luggage kit.

Also, the other night, I had the front seat off and was working on it, laid down a 3/8 extension with a 6mm allen socket on the end of it, and it rolled forward perfectly through a crack and ended up down on front of the tank between it and the frunk. I liked to never had gotten it out. Had to disassemble some plastics, use a long pry bar to rake it out to where I could grab it with some needle nose pliers.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Back