• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Rally???

Randy99CL

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a retread, getting back into biking after not riding for about 20 years.

I hate to admit it but I'm a Rally Virgin. Never been to a bike rally of any kind.
There is one this weekend about two hours from me and I'm interested but...What can I expect?
2019 Rough Rider Motorcycle Rally

I'm not a cruiser guy at all. I purposely don't wear black leather, do wear a helmet and don't like beer. At 67 with prescription meds I don't drink any alcohol ever and don't miss it.
I prefer the company of the educated BMW, Triumph, Honda riders (but I'm not a snob, I get along with everyone).

When I see pics of these events cruisers are the 99.9% majority and the whole thing seems centered around drinking and partying.
I believe that those on this forum are more like me and less like the cruiser crowd. What is a rally like for you? What do you do there, are there other Adventure-type riders to hang out with?

Last edited:
Randy,

I do not know anything about that particular rally other than an opinion formed by looking at the Gallery pictures. I probably would not attend a rally like that and expect much more than loud motorcycles and crowded venues. I could be wrong though and freely admit that. I do go to Daytona's Bike Week but I only live a few miles up the road. Even so, one day a year usually enough for me.

I attend events primarily hosted by BMWMOA, either the national rally or those organized by local MOA chapters in my home state of FL and STOCs or RTEs hosted by members of ST-Owners.Com. STOCs I attend are usually sited in the eastern half of the USA. Also I've gone to one event this forum hosts in May each year, I would do more of that one except it's during a crowded calendar time for me. I ride to the event(s) and expect to eat well and ride good roads in that area and in the evenings to enjoy the caveman TV with 15 to 50 riders generally 35 to 65 years old and (usually but not always) beyond the partying stage of life. Lots of camping or sleeping in rustic cabins. BMWMOA rallies, the big ones, have some good speakers and teaching seminars as well as vendors aimed at sport or ADV touring crowd. I think it's just $49 to join BMWMOA but freely you can go to the website and click on Events to see events near you. ST-Owners is just a large association of riders congregating on a site that is sort of Honda ST1100/ST1300 centric but it is by no means limited to those motorcycles. There are no dues to join or attend STOC events. Good people and a really good forum.

BMW Motorcycle Owners of America

Home | ST-Owners.com

Last edited:
Depends on what you enjoy. I flipped through the gallery pics and judging by that and that alone, it doesn't appear to be a wild biker rally, looked a bit more laid back. Even if it does get the least bit wild, it will likely be after dark anyways. I like all types of motorcycles and all types of people. I like drinking beer and loud music, but I also enjoy more sophisticated crowds and intelligent convos surrounding bikes and riding in general. If you want to go and just check out bikes, people watch, etc, should be an alright gig. A lot of times if I go to events like this, I plan a ride around it. Lots of backroads or sites to see on the way, and the actually rally just being the midpoint of the round-trip. Stop there to take a break from riding, walk around, check things out, stay as long as you like and enjoy an evening ride back home.

Just remember, every opportunity passed up to do something fun is one less fun thing you do in life. I take opportunities like that up as often as time allows. Only been maybe one or two times that I did something sporadic like that that afterwards made me say "well that was a waste of time". If you are interested enough in it to start a thread on it, I say get out for a good morning ride and make a stop by and check it out!

Depends on what you enjoy. I flipped through the gallery pics and judging by that and that alone, it doesn't appear to be a wild biker rally, looked a bit more laid back. Even if it does get the least bit wild, it will likely be after dark anyways. I like all types of motorcycles and all types of people. I like drinking beer and loud music, but I also enjoy more sophisticated crowds and intelligent convos surrounding bikes and riding in general. If you want to go and just check out bikes, people watch, etc, should be an alright gig. A lot of times if I go to events like this, I plan a ride around it. Lots of backroads or sites to see on the way, and the actually rally just being the midpoint of the round-trip. Stop there to take a break from riding, walk around, check things out, stay as long as you like and enjoy an evening ride back home.

Just remember, every opportunity passed up to do something fun is one less fun thing you do in life. I take opportunities like that up as often as time allows. Only been maybe one or two times that I did something sporadic like that that afterwards made me say "well that was a waste of time". If you are interested enough in it to start a thread on it, I say get out for a good morning ride and make a stop by and check it out!

Well said..^

My cousin goes to a lot of rallies. I asked him what he does. He puts on his pirate costume & he & his wife ride their Harley in. Then walk around drinking beer & looking at people. Then ride home. Just never interested me.

A lot of times if I go to events like this, I plan a ride around it. Lots of backroads or sites to see on the way, and the actually rally just being the midpoint of the round-trip. Stop there to take a break from riding, walk around, check things out, stay as long as you like and enjoy an evening ride back home.

Thanks to all for the responses!

I posted less than an hour after hearing about the rally and wondered if I should make the effort to go. I'll have to do the 600 mile oil change before the 250 mile trip, not a problem.
Las Vegas NM is a small tourist town, I wouldn't expect any trouble.

I'll change my oil tomorrow and decide then. As Tacoma said, it would be good to make the rally the midpoint of a day ride. Get there for brunch, visit the Art Museum, listen to some blues, look at the bikes/people, eat a light dinner and ride home.

ddueling - there is a lot of MSTA activity in FL with an openness towards non-members. There are several categories of "rallies" and some have a fee attached while others are free. A co-op arrangement has been made with BMWRA to give a free pass to either side to attend certain events.

MSTA FL is divided into North and South chapters because of all the distance involved but they have lots of stuff going on continually - breakfast gatherings, lunch rides, riding to events, etc. I've only attended one FL event over the years mainly because it's quite a jaunt from OH, especially when we have so many other events that are closer.

Yup, I'm a member and have been since 1990 when it was called the Honda Sport Touring Assn (HSTA). :)

Last edited:
I have had a LOT of fun attending the ADV rallys. Even if I am not out in forest trails and running single track where stream crossings are wider than the trail. I stick to the road, and at these, I have never ridden alone unless I wanted to. there were always people riding on the street as well. It's worth looking into and seeing what is in your area. And even if there is drinking involved, it's after you're back at camp and parked. Generally. nothing while on the road (that I have seen).

Rallies | Adventure Rider

The one you posted reminds me of a poker run. Nope, no thanks. Not gonna drink my way from bar to bar and never leave 2nd gear.

I go to meetups or get togethers (like we do in the Smokies at MOs place-threads on here about it..the KSL meets); I go to Daytona bike week in March, but only out to the track for demo rides (went downtown once and btdt,,never again), but after this years demo week, probably wont be back. I also do 1 or 2 charity run rides (if I know they are not going to bar to bar to bar) a year. 2 big rallies in Indiana are the BeanBlossom and the Boogie, but I stay away from those and dont even go near those sites on those weeks-not my cup of tea (or alcohol for that matter). Just Google for motorcycle meetups in your area and I am sure you will find something you like...or bike nights...Louisville Ky area has a few bike nights each week (I work in Louisville but get off at 330pm each day and I head home-30 miles north of Louisville)-been to a few of these and they are nice...people may drink but they talk bikes...if there is a CycleGear store close to you, even they have a bike night once a month...

From personal experience BMW or Moto Guzzi clubs are a safe bet. Substance use, if any, is only after the bike is parked for the night. As for membership for non-brand owning riders the rules differ for each club. Plug Follows - My club, the BMW Motorcycle Owners of Vermont is the most ecumenical club of any I have come across. The BMWMOV is brand centered but anyone can join no matter the bike they ride or even if they own a bike and enjoy the same voting rights as owners.

ddueling - there is a lot of MSTA activity in FL with an openness towards non-members. There are several categories of "rallies" and some have a fee attached while others are free. A co-op arrangement has been made with BMWRA to give a free pass to either side to attend certain events.

MSTA FL is divided into North and South chapters because of all the distance involved but they have lots of stuff going on continually - breakfast gatherings, lunch rides, riding to events, etc. I've only attended one FL event over the years mainly because it's quite a jaunt from OH, especially when we have so many other events that are closer.

Yup, I'm a member and have been since 1990 when it was called the Honda Sport Touring Assn (HSTA). :)
I did forget about MTSA, didn't really mean to. I was a member a couple of years before the name change but never renewed. MTSA has virtually no events in northern FL but I occasionally will ride 150 miles for a lunch RTE and I sometimes attend the lunch on Wednesday or Thursday during Bike Week.

Back