• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

On-board camera options?

TacomaJD

Reaction score
Visit site
Planning to do a couple trackdays on the NC this fall and would like to film a couple sessions, maybe even do some filming on the road too.

I am camera illiterate, mainly in terms of what's available and staple features to look for. Obviously GoPro has the market share, are there other brands just as capable?

Necessities will be various mounting options, durable, hopefully some sort of video stabilization, and ease of transferring vid files to pc. Maybe wide angle? Just want a good field of view, but not to where the video looks fish eyed. Might mount camera on rear rack facing forward. Also would mount on side of bike in 1 or 2 different places.

I don't want to spend a lot on one, as I don't plan on doing enough filming to need the extra most bestest camera out there.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I like gopros mounting options. I guess I just need to figure out which model to get. I saw one on ebay for $100 the other day, think it was a Hero 4, but I dont know where that particular model falls in the lineup or how old the design is. For instance, since that one, has a newer model came out that has this breakthrough technology that makes the other seem totally obsolete? I just dont want to buy one, then find later I should have paid a few more dollars for the next gen model that is 5x better.

I think gopro is up to Hero 7...for all your gopro forum needs: GoProFanatics.com - The Ultimate GoPro Forum!
I was hoping to take the easy way out and someone just say I have the Gopro ____ model and its great, only costs about $100, and here's a sample video captured by it....to save myself more time researching Lol. I've been staring at tire specs and reading reviews for weeks, looking through suits, boots and long glove options, I don't want to have to start from scratch researching gopros too, but looks like I might have to. Lol

I went through the “go pro knockoff” analysis and finally gave up since I didn’t really need one and it was taking up waayyy too much time. I did learn a few criteria that may be useful in your quest

- can the unit be charging and filming while you ride? Given somewhat short battery life this was a key item for me.
- what FPS and resolution
- how easy is it to control (turn on/off, loop function, etc). Some of the knockoffs are complicated to operate.
- how easy to download and/or view on phone and computer (this was already on your list)
- what stabilization does it have (many of the knockoffs have poor or none).

The newest go pro has that amazing stabilization, but you pay dearly for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like gopro 5 would be the way to go with stabilization but still a bit pricier than what Im looking for. Hero 4 silver can be had brand new for around $100. That aint bad. Decent video too.

I have been using GoPro cameras for many years, and they are great... See “Adventures of Nana Chou” on YouTube about my NC7 adventures..

However, the new king of the adventure cameras is now here!

Insta360 one. Mine will be arriving on Friday!

Just hit the YouTube button to see....

YouTube

Last edited:
I just ordered this: AKASO EK7000 4K WiFi Sports Action Camera. $59.99 on Amazon. If it doesn't work out, no big loss. Got the 3 year warranty for 6 or 7 bucks. I could have gone with a few others too, I looked at dozens over several days. I wanted something that would run off the motorcycle battery but they required splicing into the wiring harness & I didn't want to do that. So it's batteries. half-hour to 3+ hours depending on who's reviewing it. Or the resolution setting. Anyway it arrives tomorrow. In a week or so I may post about it if I remember.

I think I have landed on the Hero 4 Session. The Session is square so mounting on side of swingarm or any position will be simple, just rotate it inside it's mounting frame without having to buy different hinged cases. Fairly cheap too and takes good enough quality vids for what I'm looking for. Only thing I'm not fond of is the lack of a removable/replaceable battery. But I don't think that will be an issue. I will never need to film for any longer than 20-30 minutes and can charge it in between needing it without issue.

Example of what a Insta360 One X can do. So many ways to make the video using this camera.

Click of video to see in YouTube.

YouTube
The other link you posted works for me but this one does not, gives error 404.

The 360 setup would not be allowed on track, but it is cool. Track tech rules say camera must be mounted directly to bike and have a safety tether as well in case mount fails.

All of the above listed can be done with the insta360 one x. I am now waiting on the newly designed venture case for the camera. Once it arrives I will show you the camera mounted to the bike. The water tight case is much like the GoPro. You can buy GoPro adaptors for attaching all GoPro accessories to the Insta360 One X.

The video is posted on YouTube.

YouTube

Last edited:
I have been using GoPro cameras for many years, and they are great... See “Adventures of Nana Chou” on YouTube about my NC7 adventures..

However, the new king of the adventure cameras is now here!

Insta360 one. Mine will be arriving on Friday!

Just hit the YouTube button to see....

YouTube

Any updates on this? Got any links to your footage?

For the minds curious of quality. Be sure and select 1080p 48 fps in the quality settings when viewing vid.

This is 1080p superview at 48 fps. That is the highest pixel/widest angle combination offered by the hero 4 session. It will film 60 fps in standard 1080p (or maybe it's 720p, can't remember), but only 48 fps in 1080p superview. You can see so much more in superview, I like it better.

Video side note, about a minute in we got behind some cars so I ended up cutting the footage. I should have filmed earlier that morning when there was less traffic. Wife bought me a Gopro Chest mount so maybe in the next vids you wont be looking at my rump the whole time LOL. I hesitate to just mount it on the front of the bike, because I like bits of the bike and/or rider in view to give the video a little more context.

YouTube

Last edited:
Back