• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

To beak or not to beak

Juan_Banjovy

Reaction score
Visit site
The beak. Must have one if you ever leave pavement! But seriously, I used to despise beaks & thought if I ever get an NC700X I'll saw it off. Well, haven't done it yet & not sure I will. That gaping hole would look even funnier. I'm learning to ignore the beak & just enjoy riding. It's part of the territory & not a deal breaker. I've seen heated discussions on beaks on other forums & I don't want to start a beak war here, just wanting some opinions. Like/Don't like/Doesn't matter?

The beak is just a current styling trend, and performs no useful function on an NC7x0X. It’s just like the stupid a$$ in the air rear end with extended tiny fender designs current with the NC and sport bikes. The beak design is getting long in the tooth, so this styling trend will soon pass, and something else we’ll probably hate will come along next. What matters is that the bike is comfortable, functional, and takes me where I want to go

The beak. Must have one if you ever leave pavement! But seriously, I used to despise beaks & thought if I ever get an NC700X I'll saw it off. Well, haven't done it yet & not sure I will. That gaping hole would look even funnier. I'm learning to ignore the beak & just enjoy riding. It's part of the territory & not a deal breaker. I've seen heated discussions on beaks on other forums & I don't want to start a beak war here, just wanting some opinions. Like/Don't like/Doesn't matter?

The beak is more bearable to look at if you take off the front fender, I don’t know why. I had mine off to paint today and thought wow that doesn’t look half bad [emoji102]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The beak is more bearable to look at if you take off the front fender, I don’t know why. I had mine off to paint today and thought wow that doesn’t look half bad [emoji102]

201bdbc8131adcd16ef2e962e471db92.jpg

Doesn't bother me, I think it compliments the bike's overall design well. Much more so than some other bikes.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The beak is fine with me, what I couldn't stand was that gigantic apparatus that the rear license plate mounted to. That was the very first thing that disappeared from my 2018. There was no way I could live with that.

The beak is fine with me, what I couldn't stand was that gigantic apparatus that the rear license plate mounted to. That was the very first thing that disappeared from my 2018. There was no way I could live with that.
It doesn't look so bad with bags. Lol. I didn't like it much at first either.

b2979b400d2e51c6a8c2258d34f962c4.jpg

It doesn't look so bad with bags. Lol. I didn't like it much at first either.

b2979b400d2e51c6a8c2258d34f962c4.jpg

Yes, without bags it's sticking way out there but with them it fits in well enough

My bracket cracked and I'm planning on replacing the piece going from the motorcycle to the cluster where the lights and plate is, I'm going to use sheet metal folded or a piece of aluminum to fabricate a new bracket

It's been broken for awhile and hasn't fallen off so I'm not in a hurry to do it but it's on the list

Yes, without bags it's sticking way out there but with them it fits in well enough

My bracket cracked and I'm planning on replacing the piece going from the motorcycle to the cluster where the lights and plate is, I'm going to use sheet metal folded or a piece of aluminum to fabricate a new bracket

It's been broken for awhile and hasn't fallen off so I'm not in a hurry to do it but it's on the list
I need to fool with mine and figure out how easy it is to remove the whole thing lights and all from the tail section. I'm planning on doing a trackday in September and I'd rather remove the whole thing versus taping over all the lenses so that's one less thing to destroy/replace if I end up going down. Maybe I can figure how to put some inline disconnects in each of the rear blinker and tail light wires, or just simply unplug and hide the wires if it's made like that, so I can easily take it off and put it back on in between track days.

I need to fool with mine and figure out how easy it is to remove the whole thing lights and all from the tail section. I'm planning on doing a trackday in September and I'd rather remove the whole thing versus taping over all the lenses so that's one less thing to destroy/replace if I end up going down. Maybe I can figure how to put some inline disconnects in each of the rear blinker and tail light wires, or just simply unplug and hide the wires if it's made like that, so I can easily take it off and put it back on in between track days.

the wires are actually pretty easy to disconnect (nice plugs with enough slack to work with) it's the hardware that I found time consuming, still it's not bad. I'd say 30 min the first time you remove it and around 15 after your familiar with it

Also if there's a chance you'll go down I'd recommend getting protection for your controls as well as engine guard and/or frame sliders.

JFG-RACING Black Hand Guards Handguards - 7/8" 22mm and 1 1/8" 28mm with Universal Mounting Kits For For Honda Yamaha Kawasaki Suzuki Dirt Bike Motorcycle MX Motocross Supermoto Racing ATV Quad KAYO https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073LJV4K1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_QPQkDbVKVYA8G

If I hadn't already spent the money on Barkbusters I would buy these (no personal experience with them) just something I ran across that looked good

My Bark buster saved my controls heated grips and throttle from damage, my bars did get bent and my shifter assembly was mangled (hence the recommendation for an engine guard, I don't have one) sounds fun be sure to share the highlights if you end up doing track days

Last edited:
Also if there's a chance you'll go down I'd recommend getting protection for your controls as well as engine guard and/or frame sliders.

JFG-RACING Black Hand Guards Handguards - 7/8" 22mm and 1 1/8" 28mm with Universal Mounting Kits For For Honda Yamaha Kawasaki Suzuki Dirt Bike Motorcycle MX Motocross Supermoto Racing ATV Quad KAYO https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073LJV4K1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_QPQkDbVKVYA8G

If I hadn't already spent the money on Barkbusters I would but those (no personal experience with them) just something I ran across that looked good

My Bark buster saved my controls heated grips and throttle from damage, my bars did get bent and my shifter assembly was mangled (hence the recommendation for an engine guard, I don't have one) sounds fun be sure to share the highlights if you end up doing track days
Back in the day, I had a 2007 ZX10R I bought new. Was afraid to track it bc I was afraid to scratch it. Bought a wrecked 02 GSXR 750 and rebuilt it into a track bike, done my first track day on it. They way STT does track days, the first 2 sessions in Novice are single file no passing to get you familiar with the track. Then they start turning each rider loose in the 3rd session. Once turned loose, I lowsided about 3/4 the way through my first lap at Barber Motorsports Park because of poor form. I done maybe one more track day on that bike then sold it and bought track skins for my ZX10R and started tracking it. Done 8 or 9 different trackdays after that first one, through Intermediate and into Advance group, and never crashed again.

I don't expect to crash, but I also know it will be "different" finding the NC's limits on track, especially with my highway peg setup and cornering low. I am going to raise it a bit from its current position to avoid it dragging. I'm super curious as to whether I will be able to drag knee on either side on the NC since it is so tall. Sportbike seat height is only roughly 1" less than the NC stock seat height, so I'm betting I will get one or both knees down on track. We will see. I don't know much about GoPros, but might do some research and find one and film a couple sessions.

I'm sure I can avoid crashing, but planning for the worst either way. Frame sliders would be sweet, prob wont opt for engine guards though, mainly bc the left one may interfere with my leg position.

Last edited:
The NC can go low enough to drag pegs on both sides (I've done so myself on 36 between Humboldt and Redding CA) my OEM side cases didn't interfere with that at all by the way. My friend trying to keep up on his GSXR 750 was impressed [emoji16]

After personally learning the realities of hitting an object capable of suddenly and completely stopping you I won't be riding like that on public roads ever again (and no I wasn't riding stupid or aggressive when I went down) I'm just going to try a little harder to avoid a repeat or worse lol

If frame sliders meet your needs that's great (they're cheaper) when I went down on my NC my side cases were on (they almost always are) and the saved my seat, body work and rear light assembly from getting damaged, my shift assembly did get mangled, I was able to repair mine luckily but if I had to replace the damaged pieces it would have been very expensive.

Aluminum bracket, shift lever and the very specific mounting bolt for the shifter were all damaged and are all surprisingly expensive, the aftermarket pegs are cheap luckily
d197a30a284a6259ee29422f9537879b.jpg

Back