• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Short Factory Windscreen on the Front Range?

ColoradoChris

Reaction score
Visit site
Does anyone on the front range, or anywhere in Colorado/northern New Mexico have the factory short windshield on there bike that might let me take it for a short highway ride? I have the tall one with a deflector added and am thinking of trying something different, but I would like to try before I buy...

Mine does a great job of providing a quiet ride, but it sticks way up there and flexes a bunch in truck turbulence.

Thanks,
--Chris
HIghway_front.jpg

Just take off your windshield and ride..The stock factory windscreen does not provide anything and riding without a windshield will be close to what the stock has to offer...or tape a piece of stiff cardboard which sticks about 4" above the dash...that would give you an idea (or cut out a piece of plastic from little Walmart office trashcans-I think you can get 3 for like $9-about the shape and size of a stock windscreen, punch holes and mount-have the top edge about 4", maybe 6" above the dash)...

That's not a terrible idea, but I was kind of thinking of putting the adjustable deflector on top.... But I could cut the makeshift one a little tall and just keep trimming it down. Maybe it is time for an arts and crafts project.:D

Taking off the windscreen will _not_ give you an idea of what riding with the stock shorty is like. The stock screen creates quite a bit of turbulence and noise at the helmet, whereas no screen gives essentially clean air, albeit a whole lot of it. (-:

I took my Puig windscreen (and extender) off and put the stock screen on.

It's great for summer riding as long as you never go over 50 mph. It makes city riding much easier and doesn't get in the way of my vision.

Above that speed though, the wind noise is just too extreme. Enough to require earplugs. With my double screen setup I had only been needing ear protection for freeway rides, over 70mph, where a lot of the noise is also from the engine.
This is the double screen setup I've been using:

Attachments

• 1417.jpg
    1417.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 156
I had to put my windscreens back on!

I was getting too much wind noise from as low as 31 mph with a headwind. Enough to need earplugs.
Since I dislike wearing earplugs (the foam ones take too long to fit in and my Eargasm high fidelity plugs hurt after about 20 minutes) the screens went back on. Much better, though it is a bit warmer when riding.
As long as we have this cool weather this summer (cloudy until almost 3pm) I won't think about taking this setup off.
Here's the Puig with the extension and the stock screen (2016):

Attachments

• 20190707_165227.jpg
    20190707_165227.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 120
  • 20190707_164405.jpg
    20190707_164405.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Dude, get that thing off of your bike! Pm me your address and i'll box up my factory bikini screen and see what it will cost to send it to you... and you can have the bikini screen for $FREE.99!! Haha Dude, seriously! (no really).

:{)

Last edited:
Come on guys its not THAT BAD. Would it help if I wrote a number on in in sharpie? :cool: It is just temporary to see if I like the height. I am going to ride it that way through the weekend.

Rapturee, thank you for your generous offer and I may take you up on it if I like the height. I am supposed to be down sizing, so collecting windshields is not something I want to get into.

But What are you going to use to cut up vegetables for dinner now??!

/\/\ Isn't that what they mean when they say a bike is a chopper?/\/\

I tried it plain and the air hit me mid chest, which wasn't bad except my helmet is noisy and I look around a lot and feel the sail effect when I turn my head.

Then I added the spoiler, which moved the air up to mid face shield which was quieter, but still not great....

Mini@.jpg

So we are back to the tall honda windshield with spoiler on top.

Chris, If you want to try a Vstream tall windshield I have one you can try. I am in your neck of the woods. It is a very solid and sturdy windshield, but it creates a lot of turbulence for me. So so I went back to the Madstad.

Chris, If you want to try a Vstream tall windshield I have one you can try. I am in your neck of the woods. It is a very solid and sturdy windshield, but it creates a lot of turbulence for me. So so I went back to the Madstad.

I am not terribly unhappy with the tall honda and wing deflector, but as I said, it flexes more than I wish it did.

Do you mind if I ask how tall you are? Even if I don't try the windshield we should meet up and go for a ride sometime. I don't see many NCs in my area.

I am 6'2" but I am long on the inseam. I do however use a seat that raises me up to get me some more legroom so that helps me to see over the taller windshields. Give me a shout if you want to sync up for a ride. :) I am in the Colorado Springs.

What's your riding schedule like? Weekend only? Evenings? Other?

I am in Pueblo, and it is pretty easy to talk me into going for a ride just about anytime....

Back