• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Another sprocket change thread

TacomaJD

Reaction score
Visit site
I have read several of them (sprocket threads), saw where Hondabikepro or whatever his name was changed his on his DCT then said in one thread that shifting was goofed up, but he didn't report back in that particular thread to elaborate, and I couldn't find any further info to verify after reading a couple hours' worth of threads.

I understand (somewhat) how the DCT monitors speed at the wheel and the output shaft or whatever, and the speeds need to match or the computer gets confused.

I don't know how extreme of a change hondabikepro did for his not to work right, but has anyone actually geared their dct bike lower (either smaller front sprocket or larger rear) and it NOT mess the shifting up? I'm not 100% sure what options are available in tooth count of sprockets, obviously the 43 rear from the non dct bikes, but don't they make a 41 tooth rear too? My thinking is going up 2 teeth in the rear sprocket might give it a little extra pep, but not offset it enough to where it messes with shifting? I mean there has to be some leniency because people go to larger tire sizes, and the difference between a brand new tire and one that's worn out offsets gearing same as changing sprockets, albeit not 'as' significantly.

43 tooth rear would be right up my alley and probably allow the bike to use the rest of 6th gear at higher speeds, instead of being held back by lack of torque and headwinds/slight grades.

Also note, I am not interested in hearing of why the NC is made the way it is, that I should leave it alone because Honda designed it the way it should be, etc, like the other threads I read. Now if you really can't mess with sprockets at all on dct models for technical reasons, I 100% accept that and will go on enjoying the NC for what it is. I just couldn't find a definite yes or no on the matter, although there was a lot of "I THINK you're not supposed to change sprockets on dct models."

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My NC is a standard but my weight was 220lb without gear, I've got side cases and usually carry about 20lb of stuff in the trunk and I've changed the tooth count on my rear sprocket twice and front sprocket once trying to gain more top speed (actually just reduce RPM's while going 75mph-80mph and the best fit I've found was a stock rear sprocket while going up 1 tooth on the front sprocket.

I've heard of someone going down 1 tooth on the front sprocket for more acceleration (they rode dirt a lot) but I thought that was a tight bend for the chain, going up 2 teeth on the rear sprocket is almost identical ratio change

Sprocket Calculator - The easy motorcycle sprocket and chain calculator

Check out the web site for more specifics

I'm just sharing what my experience of what the NC can do with the power available, I'm not sure what the DCT is capable of adjusting for

I normally pull a trailer and have a larger sized rear tire with my 2016 NC700XD, so I bumped up my sprockets and chain to 525 sized, front sprocket is standard 16t and the rear sprocket up to a 41t, without any DCT problems.

Ray
Your larger rear sprocket is offset by taller size of your rear tire, so the ratio is probably not much different than stock.

Really expected to see more info on this by now. Lol

Dealer up in Missouri has a leftover 2017 VFR1200X brand new out the door for $11,250....I sure am thinking hard about making a nearly 1,000 mile roundtrip and snatching it up, and selling both my bikes. But I know I probably shouldn't...I just need more powah!

Really expected to see more info on this by now. Lol

Dealer up in Missouri has a leftover 2017 VFR1200X brand new out the door for $11,250....I sure am thinking hard about making a nearly 1,000 mile roundtrip and snatching it up, and selling both my bikes. But I know I probably shouldn't...I just need more powah!

That 1200 would give you more power for sure!
I love the 50hp of the NC for the riding I do on it. Perfect for running errands and commuting. Short trips of an hour or two are great, too.
I also have a ST1300 with more power for long interstate trips (100+hp). No comparison. Power rules when loaded down, uphill, with a head wind. Just twist and go. Any speed you want. No problemo.

JT

Yep, if both my bikes were sold I'd be on my way to Missouri right meow. I figure I'd be doing good to get $9k out of both of them, which would leave me on the hook for around $3k after taxes and all on the VFR, minus what I'd have to spends on panniers, better tires, etc. But I think I'd be much happier with that bike. I don't hate the NC, its still a blast to ride, I just hate being restricted. I've went to pass cars on backroads on short straights and really wished it had more juice, cut it close a few times.

When I test rode the VFR1200X, I found it to be a large motorcycle, with a long reach to the handlebars, and a long reach to the ground. I don’t know if the abrupt throttling issue has been addressed on later models, but the throttle on the one I rode may as well have been an on-off toggle switch. I realize many people like the bike, but it did nothing for me.

When I test rode the VFR1200X, I found it to be a large motorcycle, with a long reach to the handlebars, and a long reach to the ground. I don’t know if the abrupt throttling issue has been addressed on later models, but the throttle on the one I rode may as well have been an on-off toggle switch. I realize many people like the bike, but it did nothing for me.
What year model did you ride? I think it is listed as a 32.7" seat height, same as NC, although seat is a bit wider, so I'd assume it would similar to how my NC is with the Seat Concepts seat. I can handle height, no problem there. The 43mm inverted forks, tunable suspension, shaft drive, and power are the big sellers for me. I've seen what my buddy can do on his Multistrada enduro, so I'm not afraid of a bigger bike either. His Multi has an 8 gallon tank too! Crazy. I'd say the VFR is on par dimensionally with the BMW GS, Ducati Multistrada, and all the other 1200cc adv touring bikes.

Last edited:
Ah, I see the 33.5" seat height now on other sites. Not sure where, or even if, I saw 32.7" seat height. I have been looking at a lot of specs on different bikes. I still don't think the height would be much of an issue. I didn't realize how heavy it was though in comparison to others. It's around 607 wet weight for manual trans, then DCT trans supposedly adds 23 more lbs to it. Which puts it around 50 lbs heavier than the BMW GS1200 (580 lbs) and over 100 lbs heavier than the Multistrada (511 lbs). Really don't see how they got the Multi to be that light, it seems like a giant motorcycle next to the NC.

I'm still smoking it over though.

Fast forward til around 6 minute mark for when he starts to ride some curves and twist on it a bit. Looks like just what I desire out of a motorcycle.

YouTube

Here is a quote from another forum regarding the throttle issue and by an owner of both an NC and a VFR1200X.

"Use the NC700x and the VFR1200x the same.........75% paved and 25% gravel and fire/forest road.
Sold a St1300 when I purchased the VFR.
Right now the NC is sitting a lot..................as the VFR so smooth, great power, comfort. My only complaint ( annoying) on the VFR the throttle is snatchy ( very sensitive at speeds below 40 mph noticeable on rough roads). I have a throttle tamer which made it better."

Finally got an email back from Hondabikepro. He said he went one tooth up on front sprocket and it had the shifting jacked all up. I guess I won't mess with mine.

Back