• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC700x on the WABDR

rbelisle

Reaction score
Visit site
I am planning a trip on the WA BDR with 3 pals in late September. I am wondering if anyone has done the trip on the NC 700x. I have crash bars, bar ends, factory side cases and a large duffel for the top rack. I am in process of building a skid plate (fingers crossed) in hopes that I can get it made prior to the trip, otherwise I will be buying one. One of our group did the trip last year one an Africa Twin and had a blast. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. Wish me luck. Rod

Hey Rod, if you don't already have a nice set of tires, maybe put on a pair of Shinko 705's or the like. They'll make all of the difference in the word for handling, Ride Safe and ENJOY!! :{)

I don’t know the terrain expected on that route, but being that the NC700X is a street bike with adventure styling, I found the stock suspension to be inadequate for anything remotely “off road”. If you can afford/do any suspension upgrades, it would be a big help. A Cogent or RaceTech fork upgrade would be a good place to start.

The Cogent fork upgrade is a simple improvement, not too expensive.

The shock is a bit more pricey. I've done Cogent on two motorcycles...it helps.

There is someone here, I think bamamate has done the COBDR on an NC

A few of us folks on this form did the WABDR a few years back. The ride does not require any kind of fancy shocks to be ridden on a NC7. The odds are one of the members in your group will at some time will go down. Do not be following to close behind each other, as a few more folks will go down. In a few places the up hill climbs are golf ball, tennis ball, hard ball, and softball size rocks. However the rocks are not soft... If for any reason a bike stops on one of these up hill climbs, the bike will soon be going backwards down the hill. Once that back wheel starts spinning, you and the bike are going backwards down the hill. Even if you drop the bike, you will still roll backwards for a while. It does take the effort of a few folks pushing the bike, with the engine running, and the back wheel spinning to get the bike to once again move forward.
The motorcycles that have the least amount of weight have a big advantage on the WABDR.

Last edited:
Hey Rod, i have a pair of the 705's on my NC and just recently took moon pass from Wallace Id over to Avery Id. It was 35 miles of rough, rocky, washboard, gravel road with some really cool tunnels. I started out with 36/42 psi in the tires and quickly found that 30/32 worked really well(fwiw). I carry a Slime-pump with a tool kit in the Frunk and was easily able to re-air the tires when finished. I do not air the tires down if i am only going to ride a few miles or if the dirt/gravel road is not that bad. One thing i quickly noticed is the stock suspension really hates washboards, i mean really hates them! Excited for you to hit the trail and am looking forward to your ride report and pictures!!
:{)

Last edited:
Back