• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Best roadside assistance/travel membership?

melensdad

Reaction score
Visit site
So the lovely wife and I are going to be out on a long ride, from Indiana up into Canada, in August of this year.

Looking for recommendations please.

Who uses what? And what do you recommend?

Triple A or AMA or what?

I use AMA and GWRRA roadside assistance plans. I have used the AMA plan towing twice (for a minivan and a motor home) and the service was good. AMA roadside assistance is nice because it also covers motor homes at no extra cost, unlike many other plans. I also carry an InReach satellite radio because I find the cell phone in useless a lot of the time.

I have AMA - $60 a year, covers ANY vehicle on Wheels. Any. Including trailers, motor-homes, bikes, cars, 4-wheelers, whatever is on wheels. I have had to use it a couple times, and they were responsive and fast.

I have AMA - $60 a year, covers ANY vehicle on Wheels. Any. Including trailers, motor-homes, bikes, cars, 4-wheelers, whatever is on wheels. I have had to use it a couple times, and they were responsive and fast.

My AMA plan is free but I’m a Life Member so maybe that’s why. I think if you do automatic renewals, it’s free too.

The only negative on the AMA plan is that mine only covers 35 miles of towing.

BMWMOA Platinum but it does require an annual MOA membership pushing up the cost to $109. It only covers bikes and contracts with companies that are motorcycle friendly and show up with the equipment to do so. 100 miles to destination of your choice for any motorcycle you own and are on that day.

I use AMA, and so does my dad. I get it ‘free’ as part of the Life Member thing like Greg.

Dad has called them two or three times. One experience was great. Another was not as great, since the original hour wait time (he was in a huge-population metro area) got extended by an additional hour when the first tow company ‘cancelled.’

I’ve only called once, and I had the same fairly poor experience. After a full hour of waiting, I got a call saying the tow company had cancelled, and that an alternate was one to two hours away. That was also in a huge-population metro area. I just cancelled that call, phoned home, and went and rented a UHaul trailer to bring the bike home.

I'm not a lifetime member, I renew every year. but the towing is included for free with any AMA membership.

Reminds me, I need to make sure it renews at the end of the month.

So nobody here uses AAA for their roadside assistance?

Seems like AMA is most common?

Maybe I should have asked this question in my original post, but does AMA cover the bikes while they are in Canada?

Aah!!?? You might want to give them a call Bob and confirm that with them directly.. thus removing all doubt! I too have been considering a towing membership now that i'm stretching my cycle legs a bit haha. :{)

''I just returned from BC/Alb trip, now to figure out how to add 2 canadian provinces to my motorcycle traveling map haha"

I think I might have mentioned this here before but adding motorcycle coverage to my Autoclub membership was a complete waste of money.
When my disklock broke and I needed assistance to get it off not only would they not cover it, they wouldn't even send me someone who could cut it off. I guess I should have had them tow my bike back home and then gone to work on it with a hacksaw...

Then when I locked my bike's sole key inside the frunk they kept me waiting for 2 hours before letting me know that they don't pick locks either.
Once again, maybe they could have towed it home, but since I didn't have the key I doubt it.

Anyone have these types of experiences with AMA?

Seems like AMA is most common?

Maybe I should have asked this question in my original post, but does AMA cover the bikes while they are in Canada?

I briefly looked at AAA but it seems like covering anything besides cars means you have to pay more.

I called the AMA prior to my Canada/Alaska trip I’m currently on, and I was told the coverage is good in Canada.

As for the Gold Wing Road Riders Assoc. plan, coverage is also good in Canada. The membership card shows a separate phone number to call for assistance in Canada.

Yes, I use AAA. I have had AAA for years for my wife's peace of mind and when I got this bike last year I added the bike coverage. In fact I just used it a couple of weeks ago when I had my flat.

Now, here's the issue. I drove a tow truck years ago and so I have a little insight as to what happens when you call AAA. You talk to a AAA dispatcher that takes all of your info, including which tire is flat, what color is the bike and that it is, in fact, a motorcycle. AAA then calls one of their contractors that has the contract for the area where you broke down and their dispatcher calls one of their tow truck operators, gives them NONE of the information that you gave AAA and sends them out simply telling them that it's a black Honda. The driver shows up pissed off because he doesn't get much for AAA calls and he didn't know that he was picking up a bike.

I got lucky the guy that came out was experienced and I had a good conversation with him on the way back in his air-conditioned truck, but all-in-all I would probably consider AMA myself if it wasn't that I canceled my membership when they were fighting to pass a law that all bikes have their high-beams on permanently. (yes, some years ago now.) But the peace of mind that AAA gives me for the cars as well helps.

Back