• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

170/60 vs 160/60 rear tire

Convict1997

Reaction score
Visit site
Time for new tires as both my front and back are between 2/32 and 3/32. I purchased the bike used and it came with a 170/60 rear tire which had just been installed. I’m curious on opinions about if I should go back with a 170/60 or should I return to the stock 160/60 size. I know the stock size will be 10mm narrower and slightly shorter. What differences, if any, would I notice in handling with the smaller tire?

The bike was designed to be fitted with the 160/60 rear tire. Anything other than that size will change the handling.

ps. wider is not always better!

Ditto the above. Unless you fully understand the logic behind tire sizing, stay with the stock sizes. The only reason I would install a 170/60 is if the tire I absolutely wanted didn’t come in 160/60. Otherwise use 160/60.

I've been watching tons of videos trying to learn as much as I can.

Saw one where a guy had put a 180/50 (I think?, not sure) on his NC750 and he was trying to show it was a bad idea because you end up with a smaller contact patch. His point was that with the same width rim the wider tire has the sides pinched together which forces it into a rounder profile. Rounder profile = smaller contact patch in center.

Seems to make sense at first but we all know there are a million factors that affect something like this and his simple idea could actually be 100% wrong.

I just know that I have absolutely no reason to vary from the recommended sizes.

What type riding do you do mostly? If road riding, I highly suggest the Michelin Pilot Road 5's, of course in the 160/60 and 120/70 flavor. I would not waste any time thinking about any other size for road tires. If switching to a mild knobby, its not uncommon to have to run off sizes, but I wouldn't with road tires. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have ran 170/60, 160/70 because the tires I like dont come in 160/60..I havent noticed any difference in handling...10mm difference is only a 4/10 of a inch in difference in total tire size (width, that is 5mm on each side-less than 1/5 of an inch on each side-same for tire height...); can riders street riding even notice a 1/5 difference on each side of the tire-on today's terrible roads-maybe on a pristine road, but where are those...

After my flat last week I decided to switch from the Michelins to the Shinko 705 in the 170/60. I have only run it around the block so far but I don't see too much difference yet. Note that I still have the stock sized Michelin on the front. So I will let you guys know if I feel any different riding in tomorrow.

Back