• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Is the Madstad windscreen too effective?

melensdad

Reaction score
Visit site
Used the stock windscreen until early fall last year. Installed the Madstad in the early fall and, after getting it adjusted properly, I thought it was perfect. Great wind protection, no buffeting, quiet and comfortable. What more could I ask out of a windscreen designed for touring? After all, I am modifying the bike specifically for touring.

I am having second thoughts about the Madstad.

I think it does too good of a job. On hot days (75F or warmer) I am too warm behind this windscreen.

I wear a KLIM Apex Air jacket. It's not a full mesh. It has mesh chest panels that zip open/closed. Mesh back panel that opens/closes. And mesh arm vents that run from the wrist to the shoulder, which can be zipped open/closed. I'm running with all the mesh panels fully open and still not getting enough airflow. The jacket is not at fault. The windscreen is too effective at doing what its supposed to do.

At this point I'm thinking of trying to figure out a "quick attach" system to remove the 18" touring screen. Maybe I'll buy a shorter Madstad if I can figure out a quick attach system so I can have a hot weather windscreen for local rides and a touring windscreen for highway and travel use.

Has anyone figured out a quick attach system to swap out windscreens?

For me, I wouldn’t risk sacrificing “no more buffeting” to get a little more airflow by switching windscreens. I just switch jackets - and it gets plenty hot here in Alabama. A full mesh Olympia does it for me. And when temps drop I go back to the three season style jacket. And I did get a better helmet with good venting. That helps as well.

I remove the Madstad winglets in the summer along with the plastic covers over the Barkbuster hand guards. This give me enough air.

If all else fails it’s just 4 screws/nuts to swap the screen you have for a smaller/shorter Madstad screen.

I too felt a nice change when i removed the worthless factory "bikini" windscreen and went to the factory touring screen, then even more when i removed that one and went to the adjustable 20" MadStad. I do wear a full mesh SS jacket and it works pretty good, then this spring i added the Maxx Dri vest and wow what a difference that made. I just sold the 20" MadStad to a fellow rider here and went back to the factory touring screen while i am waiting for my new Parabellum windscreen to arrive. I like the air flow the factory touring screen provides, but man i also noticed the tremendous amount of pressure on my upper body at interstate speeds. Especially the next morning, man my core muscles were really sore...but the air flow sure was nice! :{)

Has anyone tried the adjustable height slider brackets that can be bought for the Honda tall screen online for under $30? (edit: or know their height) At 6'2 the wind hits my ears pretty good as if flies through my helmet. Ducking about 3 inches is peaceful again bu not good for the neck and back. don't like earplugs or headphones, I prefer to hear everything around me, especially in the city.
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Used the stock windscreen until early fall last year. Installed the Madstad in the early fall and, after getting it adjusted properly, I thought it was perfect. Great wind protection, no buffeting, quiet and comfortable. What more could I ask out of a windscreen designed for touring? After all, I am modifying the bike specifically for touring.

I am having second thoughts about the Madstad.

I think it does too good of a job. On hot days (75F or warmer) I am too warm behind this windscreen.

I wear a KLIM Apex Air jacket. It's not a full mesh. It has mesh chest panels that zip open/closed. Mesh back panel that opens/closes. And mesh arm vents that run from the wrist to the shoulder, which can be zipped open/closed. I'm running with all the mesh panels fully open and still not getting enough airflow. The jacket is not at fault. The windscreen is too effective at doing what its supposed to do.

At this point I'm thinking of trying to figure out a "quick attach" system to remove the 18" touring screen. Maybe I'll buy a shorter Madstad if I can figure out a quick attach system so I can have a hot weather windscreen for local rides and a touring windscreen for highway and travel use.

Has anyone figured out a quick attach system to swap out windscreens?
Any pics of your setup the way it is with no buffeting? How tall are you?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

6' tall
33" inseam
I wear an Arai Defiant helmet, which I only mention because it has an external sun screen that can be flipped up to make a sun visor or down to work like sunglasses. Even flipped up I get no buffeting and highway speeds. I will also frequently ride with my face shield open, which, depending on how i have the external sun shield set, can create a 'double peak' which, in theory could catch a lot of turbulent air.

Now that said, if you have the wrong cross wind angle hitting you or the a side wind, just like every other windscreen, the screen may not be able to do much, for general wind protection but I don't get that 'beaten up' feeling at highway speeds and I don't get helmet buffeting at any speeds.

DIO7tVKoTsugCf4Ob6wsBQ_zpshh5dbhty.jpg

aw4li7fQDm7nIX8naguQQ_zpsvv3o8js2.jpg

BKWxGDTASayOtiRRFvcXYg_zpstwrs6uml.jpg

Last edited:
The lower "winglets" are standard but they are removable. I think I stated earlier in this thread that I take them off in warm weather, allowing more air against my lower torso but this does not affect air flow to the face or helmet.

The lower "winglets" are standard but they are removable. I think I stated earlier in this thread that I take them off in warm weather, allowing more air against my lower torso but this does not affect air flow to the face or helmet.
Ha, I see now. I read where you said that, but I really did not know what you were talking about and didn't put 2 and 2 together.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Has anyone tried the adjustable height slider brackets that can be bought for the Honda tall screen online for under $30? (edit: or know their height) At 6'2 the wind hits my ears pretty good as if flies through my helmet. Ducking about 3 inches is peaceful again bu not good for the neck and back. don't like earplugs or headphones, I prefer to hear everything around me, especially in the city.
View attachment 38369

I tried these a couple weeks back actually. They would not fit the MRA variotouring screen I have. Can't say about fitting any other screen, but they weren't far enough apart to fit that screen. I was bummed because I was looking forward to being able to use them.

I think I have perhaps the first Madstad or one of the first three. I sent them a lot of pictures and measurements anyway. No winglets then (2013).

I'm 5'11" and run the 20" screen with full forward tilt and 1" from the top. It's pretty much perfect. When I first mounted it I found the Honda hand guards touched the screen a bit more than I liked. So I pulled the guards and screwed on the winglets. I rode all winter like that and was quite comfortable.

So far here in Virginia I'm still OK but I use a very light jacket and 1/2 hat in the summer. That helps a lot.

If I needed more cooling, I too would pull the winglets first then lower and tilt the shield back. But sometimes clean air is like a blow dryer set on high a foot from your face. Be careful what you wish for.

I thought six months ago I would lower the shield come summer. So far I've not moved a thing.

I

View attachment 38369

I can answer my question. Don't bother. Maybe, and that's a big maybe- you could re-drill the polycarb to work with these sliders but they still don't line up or want to attach to the bracket over the headlight. So far on the garage upgrades: pipe, adj. pegs, tank protector, +3; windshield adjusters -1. Should have gone with a clip on extension.

Back