• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

How often you use the bike cover when parked?

Afan

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's not exactly the NC700 question, rather "every-bike" question: when do you use the cover for your bike? How often? Do you use it to hide from "other eyes" or from rain, or from dew, or...?
I have cheap bike cover, got as a present. And I'm taking it every time I'm on a trip. Usually will cover my bike over the night. To hide it, and to "protect" it from the dew.
Probably because it's cheap, in the morning the windshield and the top case are still wet. And if the middle section went down and touches the seat - the seat is going to be wet too.
This morning I went to work on my bike. Weather supposed to be cloudy all day, no rain. Couple hours later - it's pouring! Now the weather.com says it's gonna rain for next couple hours too. The bike is not covered - because I would never cover my bike in front of the building. I know rain shouldn't be the issue for a bike, but still... can rain "damage" bike?

:(

All modern bikes are designed to handle a significant amount of rain, both moving and standing still form. But to maximize the life of the bike and/or parts....it's best to shield it from extended water exposure. The issue is, water will creep and settle in all sorts of areas, which can lead to electrical issues or small mechanical problems such as key-tumblers may get sticky or rough due to rust.

For me personally, the only time I cover my bike is when I park at the airport. This is mainly to shield the bike from jet-fuel particles that float around and can leave a residue on the plastics and seat when I get back home from my trip. Outside of that, I rarely use a cover, even a multiday trip with some rain exposure.

I never cover a bike. The cover itself can damage the finish by rubbing it in the wind. The only time the bike sits in the rain is when I’m on a long trip, and then it’s going to get wet and dirty no matter what.

I suppose if I couldn’t store it indoors at home, I might consider covering it, but that’s never been the case. Come to think of it, I don’t even own a cover that fits the NC700X.

Last edited:
it will certainly tarnish the fasteners over time. and chains don't play well with water. but with extra precautions you can limit water damage. it sucks riding in the rain, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. bike covers last a season before they start ripping apart. if you want a cover consider a tarp, theyll last longer and are cheaper.

Last edited:
Before I graduated college I rode the NC to campus and to work everyday, sometimes in snow and rain. Like you, I had a cheap cover that never succeeded in keeping the bike fully dry, but I found that it at least helped to channel the water down the sides of the bike instead of allowing the water to work into all of the crevices. The seat still got a little wet but I always kept a towel in the compartment for that reason. That cheap cover cost me 20 bucks and is still in good shape (almost 3 years old).

Last edited:
I cover every night and have a better cover for protection from the elements. I always bring the cover if I stay away though, along with an extra chain (at home it's just a disc lock and the steering lock) - as if it's obviously locked but not obvious as to what the bike is, I'd hope any thief would bypass my bike for an easier mark.

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

I only cover it if it’s really storming - just want to keep the water from pouring down into every nook and cranny all night. Beyond that, pffft, it’s just a bother. And the dew in the morning makes it easier to clean before heading out. :rolleyes:

What is a bike cover? :rolleyes:

But seriously. I don't even own one. Never used one.

I got a free one with a online purchase as a free add on, I've never used it and my bike gets put in the garage about half the time, I do live in California so my weather is milder them some but it gets over 100°f for 2 to 3 months and will get below freezing a few times a year.

I commute to work 4 days a week almost every week of the year and it's parked outside without any type of covering

I think your biggest issue would be the black plastic on the NC getting damaged by U.V. Rays, my bikes been in the sun for years and has a bit of color fading but it hasn't effected structurally (it hasn't become brittle or anything) so personally I don't worry about parking it outside workout a cover.

Mine sits outside only at work but unlike most people here I don't cover because of rain, I cover because of sun. Basically my cover stretches from the top box to the handlebars shading the seat and covering the handgrips. When it hits over 100 degrees (Fahrenheit of course, but for those outside the US; 38 degrees C), those black hand grips and black seat can reach a temperature that can cause burns. So I only cover during the summer. But not quite yet because we have been unseasonably mild so far.;)

Living in an apt complex, i cover nearly every single day/night. Not just for prying eyes or weather, but for me it's the complex kids that just love to climb on it and push all of the buttons, toggles and switches etc. They don't mean any harm and usually are not being supervised or "parented" so they are always around me when i am outside wanting to be a part of whatever i am doing. :{/

I keep my bike covered as much as I can. Even though I park out of the sun in a carport, there's still a lot of dust and pollutants that gets on the bike in just one day. Plus, especially at work at the store, it keeps kids from thinking it's a toy to play on.

But then I have the Kwikover, which sits in its own bag on top of the back of my passenger seat. Easy to put on or roll up and stuff into the bag. It covers most of the bike: seats, instruments, grips, mirrors and half of the windscreen.
I bought mine from Laminar Lip and I just bought another one right now when I checked their site, as it's almost half off! Check it out:

kwiKover by Laminar

But then I have the Kwikover, which sits in its own bag on top of the back of my passenger seat. Easy to put on or roll up and stuff into the bag. It covers most of the bike: seats, instruments, grips, mirrors and half of the windscreen.

Hmm. I followed the link eagerly but the fact you can tell what the bike is easily kind of puts me off. I cover for protection against the elements but also so that there's no way for a thief to tell if it's a crappy 125 with boxes or something more worthy of pinching.

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

Cover every night, but that's because it stays outside from Easter to Thanksgiving/Christmas (weather dependent). I have a Honda branded cover and it's lasted 3 years so far. I'm careful to either not put it on as soon as I get home, or to keep it off the hot parts if it's raining and I want the cover on. I do find paw prints on my seats some mornings, so at least one cat uses it for shelter! Cover stays at home, don't take it to work even if it's forecast storms - that's a free bike wash!! It doesn't stay anywhere else overnight except the occasional MSTA weekend.

Before I graduated college I rode the NC to campus and to work everyday, sometimes in snow and rain. Like you, I had a cheap cover that never succeeded in keeping the bike fully dry, but I found that it at least helped to channel the water down the sides of the bike instead of allowing the water to work into all of the crevices. The seat still got a little wet but I always kept a towel in the compartment for that reason. That cheap cover cost me 20 bucks and is still in good shape (almost 3 years old).

Very good point in my opinion.
Thanks.

Mine sits outside only at work but unlike most people here I don't cover because of rain, I cover because of sun. Basically my cover stretches from the top box to the handlebars shading the seat and covering the handgrips. When it hits over 100 degrees (Fahrenheit of course, but for those outside the US; 38 degrees C), those black hand grips and black seat can reach a temperature that can cause burns. So I only cover during the summer. But not quite yet because we have been unseasonably mild so far.;)

Very good point too!
Thanks.

I always cover it when it is parked at home. I ride in the pouring rain, slowly, and leave the bike parked outside at work. The one and only time I covered the bike at work I did so with a short travel cover. The wind came up that day and filled the cover like a parachute, picked the bike up and smashed it into the car parked next to it. The wind blew so hard that day that it pulled newly planted trees right out of the ground. I had had the bike about a week. No more covers at work.

Never, dont even own one.. I park the bike in my garage/shed (wife calls it a garage, I call it an oversized shed) when at home..if it gets rained on at work...no biggee...I once rode thru a monsoon type rain from Ga/Florida border to Louisville (never slacked). No ill effects on the bike (2012, I was riding a bmw g650gs) but I was soaked thru and thru, cold (45'F) and rain all that way; I had on 2 rain suits, a snowmobile suit and when I got home, peeled everything off and was in hot shower for 30 minutes to warm up. At work, if it gets over 90'F I try to park the bike in the shade to keep the seat and grips from becoming too hot; but with dress slacks and my riding pants on, even with hot seat, dont really feel it.

Back