• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

No Shad seat for NC700X? What seat do you run??

TacomaJD

Reaction score
Visit site
So 2 Mondays ago, I ordered a Shad Comfort seat via Revzilla which is drop shipped straight from Shad in Florida, or so I'm told per Revzilla reps. First seat they sent was for wrong model. Returned and correct one was supposed to be sent. Well....1.5 weeks later after correct one was supposed to be on order, still no seat. Revzilla rep finally got back to me and said Shad does not have anymore in stock and pretty much won't, so they offered a full refund and gave me some more in-store credit for the hassle, which will provide for a sweet discount on whichever helmet I decide on. So I'm ok with that.

Odd that Shad would seemingly discontinue the seat though. I looked through several other websites and several said "out of stock" on that particular seat, Revzilla showed they were in stock, but apparently not since they drop ship from manufacturer.

Now which seat to try, gotta have something. I dig the Sargent, but it looks like it might not be the most comfortable. I am out on the Russel Day or whatever it's called, not a fan of the "wings" on it, even if it is the most ckmfortable. Thinking hard about the seat concepts recover. Can't really say I like the looks of the Corbin the best and there are mixed reviews on it. There's mixed reviews on just about all of them, really.

I know there are a ton of seat threads on here, I have looked at a great many of them. Many are spread out over the years which may not provide accurate representation of current models of seats available.

That said, please chime in with which aftermarket seat you run and what you like/dislike, and how it compares to the stock seat (ie much better, just a little better, etc). I want to do some miles without my butt going numb, stock seat killed me for 440 miles last weekend.

Right now Seat Concepts is at top of the list to try unless someone can change my mind.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Your body dimensions would be needed to make any recommendations. All the seats are made to fit somebody, even the stock seat ,but a given seat won’t likely fit everybody.

The Shad seat is very soft and crushes down to a lower height than stock. It fits some people but not all.

The seat topic is one of the oldest and most discussed topics on the forum, for obvious reasons. Maybe it would be best to rely on the old threads rather than repeat it all over again. No new seats have come out in several years, so there’s nothing new to learn. The old threads are still valid.

Searching threads ends up in reading 7 pages of a thread to find where 4 people each give mixed reviews of the seat, one guy says he loves it, one guy says worst seat ever, the other 75% of posts within said thread contribute no valuable information related to said seat. I figured it would be easier to simply ask what seat everyone has found that works for them. Another thing with old threads is that people tend to buy something, post about how it's the best thing ever, only to hate it once they really take a long ride with it, and later may have switched to another seat that ended up being better, which makes their first review of the seat somewhat biased/invalid. There's a Youtube vid of the seat concepts seat like this. Guy says "just rode it home from upholstery shop, man what a difference!" I'm sure he rode a whole 10 miles and already made a review video about it saying "yeah I highly recommend it to anyone, especially the taller riders." People tend to review things as soon as they get it before having time to form a solid opinion on it. Like "I just spent $400 (or whatever amount) on this seat, of course I'm gonna love it....I'll make myself love it."

So I figured it would be better to simply ask which seat works for you and HAS worked for you, over time. One you've ridden many miles on and are happy with it. I have wanted to start a thread on this, but made effort to not do that, so I researched and decided on the Shad. Now that I apparently am not going to get a Shad, I'm open to hear people's long term reviews with others.

Please delete thread at your discretion, it won't hurt my feelings. I am a forum veteran of many other boards over many years, and understand where you are coming from. I'm just to the point of exhausting all options in order to not waste anymore time, and even worse, money on this seat ordeal. I don't want to go through 6 different seats like you, that's too much work/money! Haha - humor.

Edit: Oh, and I wanted to touch on the fact that Shad isn't making anymore seats for the NC to see if anyone else knew/knows about that. Idk why they would stop making an aftermarket seat for a bike that is notorious for having a terrible stock seat, even if the NC isn't a very popular bike. Doesn't make good business sense, from the outside anyways.

Last edited:
And body dimensions are 6'1" 225 lbs, used to be really skinny but good food and craft beer have made a bigger man out of me over the years. 38x34 jeans.

4798488cab293867c5af7b4c9ab30e14.jpg

cac88bdf8936d9baaccc46745c751f76.jpg

Well to answer the question, I’ve used 6 different seats on the NC700X and I don’t particular love any of them, and I’m still searching. Some were just worse than others. I’ve ridden 45,000 miles on NC700Xs. On all the other 4 motorcycles I currently own, I’ve been satisfied with the stock seat or stock seat with minor modifications, so it’s not like I’m hard to please.

Well to answer the question, I’ve used 6 different seats on the NC700X and I don’t particular love any of them, and I’m still searching. Some were just worse than others. I’ve ridden 45,000 miles on NC700Xs. On all the other 4 motorcycles I currently own, I’ve been satisfied with the stock seat or stock seat with minor modifications, so it’s not like I’m hard to please.
Yeah your experience has me worried about my future experience LOL.

I remember reading a thread, think it was somewhat recently, where a guy mentioned 500 mile days on the seat concepts seat mod, but uses the little bead cover thing. I have read so many threads on everything I've done to the NC in such a short time period that everything is running together.

From the experience 670cc had with the regular seat concepts, it does raise your seat height, but at 6'1'', it shouldn't be an issue for you.

Of course, that depends some on what else you do with the bike, and if you care about being able to flat foot

I'm 6'2" and wear 33x34 jeans, but with a reworked (slightly taller) stock seat, the RSV4 shock set at about max length, resprung forks, and Shinko 705s (130/80 front 150/70 rear) I found that I can't quite flatfoot in shoes (but can in boots)

not really a problem for me, but some people care about being able to flat foot

I've had a Corbin on a Beemer once and really liked it. I pulled 500-600 mile days on it. The PO of my NC put a Sergent seat on it, and I don't like it. There's very little padding and I think it's shorter than stock. I've never ridden one with the stock seat, so I don't know for sure. I'm considering another Corbin

Unexpectedly, I found a new old stock seat concepts standard seat on ebay with the grip material on the top. It is priced at $149 free shipping or best offer, and exclaims in the details that "all reasonable offers accepted" so I offered $115 shipped. Waiting to see if seller accepts. I figure that's a pretty solid deal and cheap enough to give it a try. It looks like it might fit a tall 38" waisted guy fairly good.

And don't any of you go offering more than me for it! LOL

Feel free to delete thread so as not to add to the clutter of using the search button for seat info. If this route doesn't work out, I will have to form a plan C.

Cool, you won't have to wait 14-21 business days for it to ship from SeatConcepts. I ordered mine 6 days ago & probably won't see it for another 2-3 weeks. People loved the Russel Day Long saddle on my old VStrom forum but they start at $540 for the NC700X so that's off my radar.

Cool, you won't have to wait 14-21 business days for it to ship from SeatConcepts. I ordered mine 6 days ago & probably won't see it for another 2-3 weeks. People loved the Russel Day Long saddle on my old VStrom forum but they start at $540 for the NC700X so that's off my radar.

Says seller is located in Arizona. Pics are supposed to be of actual item and it has the paperwork/instructions pictured from Seat Concepts. Now I'm debating on whether I want to do it myself or pay the local work-from-home upholstery guy probably $20 to do it and save the headache. I have a staple gun and staples, so I may attempt it myself, but I've wasted $20 on a lot of dumb stuff over the years, would probably be worth it letting them do it. Lol.

I too have tried different seats. I tried forcing myself to get "toughened-up" to the stock seat, that was a futile/frustrating test of endurance. Then i added the little rubber cane ends to raise it and it was much better on not riding up onto the frunk, but still a medieval torture device. Next i scored a good/slightly used Shad, and although it was better than the stock seat, it was very uncomfortable in different areas on my bum. Sold that to another member here and got a good deal on an old worn out duct-taped Corbin. That was the best seat i had up to that time. I made several 400-500 mile day rides on it, but it was still uncomfortable/painful by the end of the days ride. Finally, i scored a great deal on a RDL from a member here who tried it and didn't like the style. He was 6'7" 230 36" and i am 6'6" 230 36".....S-C-O-R-E!

It is the best seat i have ever used and i love it! I made a few short rides on it and it took a little getting used to those wings, but man is it the best! I recently returned from a 9 day, 6 state 2600 mile vacation ride. During that time i rode five 500+/- mile days. At the end of each day i was tired and worn out but my bum wasn't hurting!! :{)

3step vac hole in the rock welded jeep.jpg

Here i just installed my new Dales rear seat Rack(today), it's a perfect fit up against the RDL.
dales rear seat rack.jpg

I’ve got 20,000 miles on my Sargent. It’s been very comfortable on many 300-500 mile days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I too have tried different seats. I tried forcing myself to get "toughened-up" to the stock seat, that was a futile/frustrating test of endurance. Then i added the little rubber cane ends to raise it and it was much better on not riding up onto the frunk, but still a medieval torture device. Next i scored a good/slightly used Shad, and although it was better than the stock seat, it was very uncomfortable in different areas on my bum. Sold that to another member here and got a good deal on an old worn out duct-taped Corbin. That was the best seat i had up to that time. I made several 400-500 mile day rides on it, but it was still uncomfortable/painful by the end of the days ride. Finally, i scored a great deal on a RDL from a member here who tried it and didn't like the style. He was 6'7" 230 36" and i am 6'6" 230 36".....S-C-O-R-E!

It is the best seat i have ever used and i love it! I made a few short rides on it and it took a little getting used to those wings, but man is it the best! I recently returned from a 9 day, 6 state 2600 mile vacation ride. During that time i rode five 500+/- mile days. At the end of each day i was tired and worn out but my bum wasn't hurting!! :{)

View attachment 38251

Here i just installed my new Dales rear seat Rack(today), it's a perfect fit up against the RDL.
View attachment 38252
That does look mighty comfy! That cover looks different than the ones I have seen, or maybe I am thinking of the wrong seat?

Also, dear lord at that luggage bag LOL. That is awesome! One of these days I am going to take a vacation ride like that.

Last edited:
Back