• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Do you carry Chain Press Tool and Chain Breaker with you rbike all the time?

Afan

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm shopping for Chain Press Tool and Chain Breaker. So far, I think this is on the top of the list Chain Press Tool and Chain Breaker.

But wonder how many of you has those two in your "toolbox" on your bike ALL THE TIME? Regardless if it's Daily commute, short weekend ride or multi days/weeks trip.

AND, how many if you really used it on your trips?

Thanks.

I don't. The consequences of it failing are too bad for me to risk. If the chain shows any sign of going bad, I replace it. So the odds of it going bad during a trip is small. The list of things that are more likely to go wrong before a chain failure is pretty long. So I carry a tire repair kit and pump, a jump start battery, and the tools I need to remove the wheels, lube the chain, and adjust the chain. (Though I've done several 3,000 mile trips without adjusting it.)

I do carry a spare clutch cable. My bike has 40,000 miles on it. And I should just replace it instead.

I would not leave the house without my ProMotion Chain breaker. Also carry a number of extra links. Have a tool box mounted under my rear fender with all my tools, and it fits perfect. There just ain’t to many places that I have not fixed a chain in. Also do carry a spare clutch cable. Every one of these I have used a number of times, most times when riding with other riders. On the road I have spent a lot more times working on other riders bikes, than my own. In my day of few motorcycle riders, you never ever passed a biker who is broke down .............................................................................

I don’t carry that tool with me. I won’t start a trip with a marginal drive chain so the odds are I won’t fall victim to that type of breakdown - or haven’t yet, anyway. I carry everything needed for chain maintenance just not a broken chain. I do carry an extensive tool kit including a power pack for jumpstarts. Packing tools will always involve trade offs, managing risks and space, and weight. Opinions will certainly vary.

I have a wonderful chain tool I can show you. After reading this thread I am almost embarrassed to say this but... I quit carrying tools other than the stock kit in 1984 but about 6 years ago I started carrying a plug kit with a small air compressor in it. That's it. I maintain my bikes and just go.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I don't carry a Chain tool with me but do have one in my shed. I am meticulous with chain maintenance and check it plus the front sprocket regularly for wear. I do not allow a chain to wear to the point where there is a risk of breakage.

A modern, high quality chain can become loose & worn due to neglect and too many miles but I would guess that actual breakage is extremely rare. And if you broke one while on a trip and had a chain breaker as part of your kit, does it also mean you're carrying a spare chain?

I would think most chain breaks happen off road and when street racing where there is a lot of stress. In ‘normal’ riding on the street I have never broken a chain.

JT

No, I don’t carry my breaker or rivet tool. I don’t even know where to buy offset links for 520 chain, which is what you’d need to actually _repair_ a broken NCX chain.

No i don't carry one or even own one. I do carry tools and chain alignment tool which i perform regular lube/maint/tension/alignment, also an air compressor and tire repair kit. That's about the contents of my Frunk. Ride safe and enjoy the many Smiles per gallon!! :{)

A modern, high quality chain can become loose & worn due to neglect and too many miles but I would guess that actual breakage is extremely rare. And if you broke one while on a trip and had a chain breaker as part of your kit, does it also mean you're carrying a spare chain?

Not whole chain but couple links to replace damaged ones...

I don't carry a Chain tool with me but do have one in my shed. I am meticulous with chain maintenance and check it plus the front sprocket regularly for wear. I do not allow a chain to wear to the point where there is a risk of breakage.

It does make a sense. But, I'm assuming there are situations where chain can brake because something else failed? Kinda you-drop-bike-on-big-stone-and-brake-it scenario, or something...?

Fifty years ago when chains were crap and fixed by a master link I carried a small chain tool that worked on crappy chains and some master links with extra clips.

Since the advent of higher quality O or X ring chains I only carry adjustment tools and wax based chain lube. And that only when I'm on a tour. Otherwise careful maintenance takes care of all.

I've never carried it with me but might start now that you've said something.

[HERE] is the one I use. (cheap)

71guhwYl1gL._SL1500_.jpg

on amazon as "ABN Chain Breaker 13-Piece Set with Carrying Case – Chain Cutter and Riveter for Motorcycle, Bike, ATV"

photo added

Last edited:
Seems like a well placed bit of gravel would break or damage the chain - but if I were taking a route like that - say Alaska - I’d probably rework my whole tool selection some and then it would make perfect sense to have it along.

I've never carried it with me but might start now that you've said something.

[HERE] is the one I use. (cheap)

View attachment 38210

on amazon as "ABN Chain Breaker 13-Piece Set with Carrying Case – Chain Cutter and Riveter for Motorcycle, Bike, ATV"

photo added

Looks exactly like mine - got it from Cyclegear. Works like a champ.

In the early-70s, I was an desert racer in AMA Dist 37 (So Cal) and I raced for about 5 years so participated in 40-50 races. I did OK and along the way, I had the usual crashes and lots of bent parts but I never broke a chain, so it's difficult for me to believe that a NC700X going down a dirt road at 30 mph could break the chain.

We carried an extra master link but no other chain-specific tools.

Last edited:
Back