• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Maintenance before a long trip

Junkie

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In a month or so I'll be heading up to Alaska. Probably around 8k miles total.

Before I leave it's getting a new chain and sprockets (Superlite sprockets which I've had good luck with in the past, RK 520GXW chain - good stuff), plus new tires (Shinko 705s), and I'll be checking the valves, replacing the spark plugs, and changing the oil. It'll probably get a day trip after that just to verify that all is well, but not a whole lot before I leave.

Any other maintenance I should do before the trip? I guess it might be a good idea to replace the headlight and tail light bulbs, just so I don't have to deal with them burning out on the trip.

I'll have some basic tools with me, but I'd rather not be doing much maintenance on the trip. Bike is a 2012 and has 44k on it IIRC.

Can’t hurt to do the spark plugs, but in reality NGK suggests a 70,000 mile life span on the original iridium plug type, despite Honda being much more conservative in their maintenance schedule. When you think about it, automobile spark plugs easily run 100,000 miles these days.

As for for the rest of it, I think you have it covered. Make sure your coolant and brake fluid are topped off. Hide a spare key somewhere on you or the bike. Some people have taken a spare clutch cable along on trips such as this, but frankly we’ve not heard of many cable failures thus far.

The headlight replacement doesnt require any tools and it is just a typical H4 light, which can be bought at any Walmart, Target, autozone, Napa or any other auto store-dont know if I would take one as you will have to pack it carefully to keep it from being damaged...installed on the bike, bumps no issue, stored in luggage, maybe....changing spark plugs would be a peace of mind thing, as 670 states, spark plugs last for 100,000 miles now...you are going to do the valves, so new coolant will be added. For the 8000 mile trip, I would replace the brake disks if they are not new-both front and back-not difficult and dont take much time; as I learned last year, they can look be good one week and a few hundred miles later, be worn out. Have a safe trip.

I have the plugs already, and I'm checking the valves, so I figured plugs are a why not. I wouldn't replace them if I wasn't checking the valves already. While not cheap (as far as plugs go), I figured it was worth it while I'm in there.

Forks were recently serviced including seals. I'll have guards on them as well. Shock is a fairly low mile RSV4 unit with a stiffer spring, so I'm not on a clapped out OEM shock either.

I hadn't looked into what it took to replace the bulbs - if it's easy and doesn't require tools I probably won't bother.

I guess I'll mic the rotors to make sure they're well above minimum thickness. Can't say worn out rotors is a problem I've ever had before, although I have warped rotors on other bikes. I recently flushed brake fluid on both ends. Pads are fairly new.

I might replace the clutch cable just to be cautious. Is OEM the only option? I guess same question re:throttle cables.

I think David meant brake pads, not discs, and I agree about the bulbs. The screw on the underside of the rear fender that opens a compartment door allowing access to the taillight bulb has been known to strip out. I might loosen it now and retighten with a proper JIS screwdriver so it's not superman tight.

Last edited:
A related question:

I haven't previously used the 705s.

8k out of a rear isn't likely to be an issue, is it?

I think David meant brake pads, not discs, and I agree about the bulbs. The screw on the underside of the rear fender that opens a compartment door allowing access to the taillight bulb has been known to strip out. I might loosen it now and retighten with a proper JIS screwdriver so it's not superman tight.

correct, sorry, pads, not disks, my bad.. been a busy day..

I think you'll be fine. You did more maintenance than I did, and I just left for close to three months

This probable says more about me though

Take/post plenty pics! This would be such a cool trip to take! What area are you departing from? I've never stayed gone for any more than a weekend on a bike trip. I love riding and have ridden all my life, I just think I would get burned out on a lengthy trip like that. I am thinking about doing a 3-4 day trip this summer, but not sure where I would go. Deals Gap is only 3.5 hours away from me and there is more riding up there than I will probably ever need, which I guess would be why I just go up there for a couple days, get my fix, come home, and do it again in another few months. Lol

Good luck on the trip, have fun man!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I've taken several weeklong trips, typically 4-600mi days on them, so I'm not a stranger to at least moderately long trips. Some of the 500mi days even involved 100mi on dirt (on 100% street bike/tires).

I'm in the SF Bay Area.

I used 705's on my KLR, really liked them and think you will be fine with the mileage. The but part, is that chip seal and sharp edge gravel is hell on tires. So it depends...Just watch the rubber.

Since your riding into twenty plus hours of daylight who needs a headlight? I would look for a wire headlight guard or that real heavy plastic stuff. A thrown rock is the problem not a burned out bulb

I think the idea behind the neoprene fork protectors is to cover the entire compression area of the fork. From what I hear, the mud is like cement when it dries on the fork tube. If you hit a bump larger than your basic protectors cover, the seals can be compromised by the dried mud.

JT

Might want to change the air filter. 8k miles is a long way. Save the one you take out and finish it’s useful life after you return.

JT

Ditto on the 705's, fork covers etc. They're a great tire and i believe they'll make the entire trip for you. I too chose them for my Alaska trip that had to be put off until next year now for medical reasons. So, Alaska 2020 for me and i'll be doing it on the same 705's! Best of luck to you and many blessings on your trip! If the need arises, my Dad lives in Fairbanks and has offered to have anything you may need shipped to him and he'll gladly keep it for you if need be. PM me if you'd like to have his info. :{)

I'm also from the sf bay area. Also heading to alaska in JUNE.
See you on the road (red NC700x - dct)
My riding partner has a bmw K in maroon color.

Just found out there's a race I want to do June 8/9, so I'm probably pushing back departure to June 10.

You probably don't need one but your doing so much maintenance you might as well change the air filter too. Mine was pretty dirty at 50K. Has yours ever been changed? To me, the air filter is an easy swap but I've had mine out 10 times in under 3 months.

Back