• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Motorcycle Insurance for the NC700X in the USA

The_Drifter

Reaction score
Visit site
For some reason, which I don't understand, the cost to fully insure a Honda NC700X (Liability, Uninsured/Underinsured, Comp & Collision is over two times as much as to insure as my Suzuki S50 (800cc) Boulevard with similar coverage. Both bikes cost about the same (new), and have about the same horsepower. The main difference is, the S50 is a cruiser, while the NC700X is an Adventure Bike.

It's unfortunate that the insurance is so much, as any savings from increase mileage is offset by the higher insurance costs.

I've talked to several Honda Dealerships about this problem, hoping that maybe Honda can explain to the insurance companies, that the NC700X is not a high performance bike.

A few months back, I was comparing costs of insuring motocycles, and it was cheaper to insure, with full coverage, a new BMW F650 GS, then the Honda NC700X.

Has anyone had any luck at finding full coverage in the US at reasonable rates? I"m looking at about $700 a year with 50,000/100,000 liability, no medical, and 250 deductable for Comp and Collision.

Thanks for any help.

I was surprised at the high cost also, although I have nothing to compare it ta as I have not owned a street bike in over 20 years. My cost is a little over $600 yr, coverage is similar to yours but mine also has medical coverage. I am with Geico. And welcome to the forum from Texas!

Well, if it's any consolation (if no help, sorry) my NC700X costs me about $2,000.00 +/- per year, to insure up here.

Holy damn, 700 bucks would be awesome! :eek:

:(

$250 per year here with Geico. I am old and have a good credit score and driving record.

My Goldwing is $305 per year.

Last edited:
Insurance is such a personal thing, what with your location, credit rating, age, experience and a dozen other factors coming into play. What I pay and what you pay has a whole lot more to do with who we are and where we live than about the bike.

I don't buy collision coverage, but liability (including umbrella), comprehensive, and accessory coverage on my NC700X, when added to my existing motorcycle policies, costs me a whopping $95.

You can never shop around too much for insurance, because rates vary greatly from one company to the next, and even from one year to the next at the same company. I usually move to a new insurer every two years or so unless they hold the rates low.

Greg

I wonder if some companies are considering this a Sport Bike? Also Progressive sent me a letter congratulating me on my safe driving record and made me a Gold Member then raised my rates 10%. I cancelled both bikes and the Rhino.............

I found the NCX to be very similar in price (basically identical) to similar bikes (also new; used bikes are always much cheaper) such as the V-Strom and Versys. I did not compare it to a BMW, since I wasn't looking at one and they're massively more money anyway. I did compare to a Tiger 800, and again it was similar in price, but the NCX was cheaper than that bike.

The easiest way to lower your insurance bill is to move. That's said in jest, but only partly so. We moved a few miles early this year and saw a gigantic jump in insurance costs.

My agent told me they, progressive, has our bike in the same class as the crotch rockets...hence the high premiums. This will not change until the insurance companies are convinced this is not a performance machine.

Try rider insurance. It is on line and not available in all states. They have. Very good rates ($250 year for full coverage on the NC) and their customer service is great.

I would check again with your insurance carrier to make sure they understand what they are insuring. When I got mine in July my carrier, Allstate, had no listing for the NCX and insured it provisionally for several weeks until they had a listing for it. My premium is about 75% of my ST1300 or $180 annually for high limits full coverage and uninsured motorist motorist.

For several years I had low rates with Progressive and then the renewal went up 400%. Shop around.

I can't speak for the others on here, but I shopped around. One company was $20 cheaper than Progressive...not enough savings to make a change. Everyone else I checked with was higher. They obviously don't understand what they're insuring, since they have it in the wrong class.

Insurance was twice as much as our BMW K1200LT.????!!!

When I started to get insurance quotes for the NC700X (a few months ago), out of curiosity, I wondered how much more it would cost to insure a new BMW 1600 GTL (list price about $28,000). Turns out it was only about $200 more per year then insuring the NC700X. (I was using Geico on line).

Insurance is such a personal thing, what with your location, credit rating, age, experience and a dozen other factors coming into play. What I pay and what you pay has a whole lot more to do with who we are and where we live than about the bike.

Well stated. There are too many variables to take into account. Only way to get a close comparison would be to have a neighbor about your same age and same driving record. And even then it would probably vary.

$250 per year here with Geico. I am old and have a good credit score and driving record.

My Goldwing is $305 per year.

I'm old with good credit too! Guess it does not help me that I'm in Harris county (Houston) with 25 godzillion un-insured illegal aliens who run from every accident they have...Somebody gotta be responsible to pay for the losses!

I'm old with good credit too! Guess it does not help me that I'm in Harris county (Houston) with 25 godzillion un-insured illegal aliens who run from every accident they have...Somebody gotta be responsible to pay for the losses!

I'm your neighbor on Barker Cypress and 290. Since I live in Harris County, I have to pay for everyone else and my rate (I'm 51) with a clean driving record and excellent credit is $595/year for 100/300/50 with 250 deductibles but not PIP. So yes, the rates are higher on the 700x. On my '12 Goldwing (before selling it) I was paying $576 for the same coverages plus PIP.

According to insurance agents, Harris County is notoriously one of the highest in the nation.

I don't buy collision coverage, but liability (including umbrella), comprehensive, and accessory coverage on my NC700X, when added to my existing motorcycle policies, costs me a whopping $95.

You can never shop around too much for insurance, because rates vary greatly from one company to the next, and even from one year to the next at the same company. I usually move to a new insurer every two years or so unless they hold the rates low.

Greg

Y'all don't have the problems we have down here... See my other post in this thread. Uninsured/under-insured, medical and pip is the killer here. Liability, collision, comprehensive is cheap. I carry insurance to cover me and my investment. I don't think I'm gonna cause a whole lot of personal/property damage if I am at fault in an accident...

Every time I have ever tried to insure a motorcycle, sport bike, Harley, enduro or whatever, Dairyland insurance has beaten everyone else out. Not just for cost but also for service, and when I traded my GSX-R in five months into a policy I got a refund check in the mail for almost half of what I had paid for a year, so there is definitely something about what they consider a sport bike.

Back