• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Need to check valves (20K on the odometer)

Afan

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi to all!
Need to check valves on my 2013 NC700X DCT - never did it before and have 20K on the odometer.
And I would like to do it by myself. But, since I never did it before, I would like to have somebody, who knows how to do it, next to me, watching me to not make something stupid. Anybody in Des Moines, IA area (+/- 100 miles) interested/available/eager to help/likes beer/likes coffee/likes cake/likes nice lunch or dinner/...?
:D

Thanks.

There is a very good thread on here with step by step pictures. Handy to have a Honda Shop Manual too.
I can guide you but I am near Rockford Illinois which is about 4 hrs from you. Have a lift and all the tools. Ride up on a Friday AND I have a spare room and do it Saturday morning and ride out before 10 am to get home at a decent time.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

There is a very good thread on here with step by step pictures...
Yes, I already made a doc file with all threads and tutorials and YouTube videos. The BASE is there, the EXECUTION is kinda weak. :D
I remember once I took of the rear wheel to replace the tire, and took it to the local dealership. When I put it back I got flashing ABS icon on the dashboard and I freaked out. Luckily it was Saturday and I took the bike to dealership. I put the ABS sensor upside-down. Don't ask...

... Handy to have a Honda Shop Manual too...
Have it.

... I am near Rockford Illinois which is about 4 hrs from you. Have a lift and all the tools. Ride up on a Friday AND I have a spare room and do it Saturday morning and ride out before 10 am to get home at a decent time

Tempting. Not just because you'll help me to do the job, also because I'll have good company to talk about NC700X, Honda, biking, touring...
Very tempting.

Yes, I already made a doc file with all threads and tutorials and YouTube videos. The BASE is there, the EXECUTION is kinda weak. :D
I remember once I took of the rear wheel to replace the tire, and took it to the local dealership. When I put it back I got flashing ABS icon on the dashboard and I freaked out. Luckily it was Saturday and I took the bike to dealership. I put the ABS sensor upside-down. Don't ask...

Have it.

Tempting. Not just because you'll help me to do the job, also because I'll have good company to talk about NC700X, Honda, biking, touring...
Very tempting.
We just have to schedule it. If there is anyone else out there who wants to ride in then we can have a tech meeting and more than one can learn.

We just have to schedule it. If there is anyone else out there who wants to ride in then we can have a tech meeting and more than one can learn.

That's nice idea! :)

I gave some dates to afan. Haven't heard back so it might be backed up until June. Asked him how his fork oil and brake fluid were too. Anyone else want to learn that or changing and balancing a tire with NoMar equipment? Can show you how to clay your paint and make it look like glass. I enjoy sharing knowledge. That's why I like this and other motorcycle forums. Together there's a wealth of knowledge here! But afan's valves come first!

Last edited:
I gave some dates to afan. Haven't heard back so it might be backed up until June. Asked him how his fork oil and brake fluid were too. Anyone else want to learn that or changing and balancing a tire with NoMar equipment? Can show you how to clay your paint and make it look like glass. I enjoy sharing knowledge. That's why I like this and other motorcycle forums. Together there's a wealth of knowledge here! But afan's valves come first!

I would like to but you are 6 hours on the superslab from my home and 7 hours on superslab from my work (without traffic backups)and bypassing Chicago by coming up via Bloomington Illinois..brake fluid I can do (no ABS on my bike) but I have never done forks and never seen it done).

I would like to but you are 6 hours on the superslab from my home...

C'mon Dave, look at this as a short vacation trip, moto-escape from everyday! :D
I'll bring some Bosnian wine to celebrate the end of the work. And I'll bring couple beers to celebrate you survived Bosnian wine. :D

I was sitting here hoping for a date and then trying to figure out if I wanted to ride out and meet you guys and maybe do my valves as I watched afan's progress. But then I remembered something that has me questioning the plan. Isn't the motor supposed to be room temp, like sit overnight cold, to adjust the valves?

Also, I have never tried bosnian wine....

... Isn't the motor supposed to be room temp, like sit overnight cold, to adjust the valves?...
According to all posts and videos - you're 100% right. And, because of that 1WG2 offered me to come Friday afternoon/evening and work on the bike first thing Saturday morning. And that's my plan.

... Also, I have never tried bosnian wine....
Isn't that good enough reason to join us? :D
Don't worry, I'm gonna bring back up too, just in case ;)

I have 3 extra bedrooms and two couches plus two flat acres down by the creek if you want to camp overnight. I also have AC or Heat as needed in the garage!

Last edited:
I would like to but you are 6 hours on the superslab from my home and 7 hours on superslab from my work (without traffic backups)and bypassing Chicago by coming up via Bloomington Illinois..brake fluid I can do (no ABS on my bike) but I have never done forks and never seen it done).
I was scared to try forks but with some encouraging words from folks on my CBR forum I went for it and found out that they aren't bad at all. The worst thing that can happen is if the bolt at the bottom of the fork rounds out. Then you have to drill the head off. After 5 or 6 sets of forks that finally happened to me. Got through it though. Finally took a pair completely apart and replaced the bushings. Not hard either if you own a shop manual.

Back