• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

SW Motech engine guards

OhioDeere

Reaction score
Visit site
Assuming the standard "If it cost more it must be better". I am looking at the Motech engine guards to purchase. They cost more than the Givi set. Anyone have these and can comment on the quality of them? I'll spend the extra dough if they are better than the competitor. I've had givi stuff on other bikes, the paint is as cheap as it gets and durability seems like not enough. :rolleyes:

Doug

I have the SWM, very happy with them. Haven't had both so can't really compare. Haven't laid it down or otherwise 'tested' the bars. Hopefully it will stay that way!! My bike is kept outside rain or shine (with cover) except for the winter. No signs of wear. If I remember correctly there is at least one thread doing a comparison of the various bars and it talked specifically about these two models. Differences were minor and mostly cosmetic.

FWIW, I just finished installing the GIVI guards on mine - more as a place to mount some decent highway pegs than anything else - and can report that mine were just flawless in the fit and finish department. As to which ones might do the best job in a tip over, that’s always debatable and wasn’t my main concern.

Bumping this up, did OP end up buying engine guards? I am picking up an NC700X DCT this week and need to buy engine guards and highway pegs before I will be able to ride it (below knee amputee and knee won't bend past 90 degrees). I was thinking about doing the SW Motech guards and Kuryakyn long horn offset highway pegs like another member here has done.

Best place to buy?

Last edited:
I have used Givi bars on my former NC700X because I considered them the most robustly built items on offer. I have generally found Givi to be well engineered over the years of use. Their only issue is that their paint is poor quality and salty roads soon necessitate a strip and respray. However the robustness is the most important aspect for me.

I've had my givi bars for a while now, only one good scratch on it where it took a big rock impact. Other than that, paint and everything looks good. I also use and abuse my stuff, bike stays outside uncovered most of the time.

Back