• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Rear brake is kinda weird with new brake pads

whiiiskyy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys,

Last weeks I've spent some time cleaning and lubricating the clutch cable, callipers, pistons --- it has 3 in the front --- installing new brake pads. My bike now feels like you are riding a brand new 2020. So far so good.
I've had this 2013 Honda NC700SA for more than a year now and I don't know if I got used to everything being tight as the bike system was messy and dirty.

The problem with the rear brake is that It depends on the speed when I press the hear brake first slowly my foot goes all the way down and it seems like it is not working. If instead of keeping my foot I start to pump it 2 or 3x, then it starts breaking hard.
If I press the front one first and then the rear one, it breaks hard and starts getting soft.
If I press it abruptly, it gets pretty hard and works as expected then gets soft

The ABS system has some kind of little tank above the engine to release the pressure from the brakes. When I press the front one, you can hear a little air noise, but when I press the hear one you can hear I loud one at some point.
I already checked the system and there is no bubbles, no air so again I don't know if because of the fact that everything was a mess, dirty as **** and I got used to everything being tight and now everything is smooth I am kinda lost about what is the normal behaviour.
I don't know if somehow there is still air in the system although nothing is coming out. I am just scared of having to use the breaks and they are not working as they should.

It might be a silly thing that I missed or this is the normal behaviour. Thank you guys for any tip.

SCA_291149_hi-res.jpg
IMG_20180220_210702_640.jpg

Hi guys,

Last weeks I've spent some time cleaning and lubricating the clutch cable, callipers, pistons --- it has 3 in the front --- installing new brake pads. My bike now feels like you are riding a brand new 2020. So far so good.
I've had this 2013 Honda NC700SA for more than a year now and I don't know if I got used to everything being tight as the bike system was messy and dirty.

The problem with the rear brake is that It depends on the speed when I press the hear brake first slowly my foot goes all the way down and it seems like it is not working. If instead of keeping my foot I start to pump it 2 or 3x, then it starts breaking hard.
If I press the front one first and then the rear one, it breaks hard and starts getting soft.
If I press it abruptly, it gets pretty hard and works as expected then gets soft

The ABS system has some kind of little tank above the engine to release the pressure from the brakes. When I press the front one, you can hear a little air noise, but when I press the hear one you can hear I loud one at some point.
I already checked the system and there is no bubbles, no air so again I don't know if because of the fact that everything was a mess, dirty as **** and I got used to everything being tight and now everything is smooth I am kinda lost about what is the normal behaviour.
I don't know if somehow there is still air in the system although nothing is coming out. I am just scared of having to use the breaks and they are not working as they should.

It might be a silly thing that I missed or this is the normal behaviour. Thank you guys for any tip.

View attachment 38015
View attachment 38016

How many miles since the rear brake reservoir and caliper was rebuilt with new seals, springs and o-rings?

A soft pedal or lever that hardens up with 2 or 3 pumps generally indicates air in the system. You did use the service manual for the correct sequence of bleeding linked brakes particular to your model?

How many miles since the rear brake reservoir and calliper was rebuilt with new seals, springs and o-rings?

Everything was in great condition, just dirty, no need for "install NEW of everything culture"
The job was done last Sunday and I only use the bike to go to work so 14km per day.

A soft pedal or lever that hardens up with 2 or 3 pumps generally indicates air in the system. You did use the service manual for the correct sequence of bleeding linked brakes particular to your model?

I will bleed the system to see if any air comes out but as I said, there are no more bubbles. There is no wrong sequence of bleeding. I have done it before with a Honda CTX700 which shares the same engine as the NC700. Only this time things are just not quite right.

I will bleed the system to see if any air comes out but as I said, there are no more bubbles. There is no wrong sequence of bleeding. I have done it before with a Honda CTX700 which shares the same engine as the NC700. Only this time things are just not quite right.
I'm not sure about the AU market but in the USA and Europe the CTX700 came out in 2014. NC700 series bikes built in 2012-2013 have linked brakes with a different bleed sequence than 2014 and later bikes. But I'm sure you know all about that.

A clue is you mentioned a 3 piston front caliper, it will have two bleed valves on 2012-13s. Non-linked brake bikes have a 2 piston front caliper with 1 bleeder, 2013 and later. There is a different bleed sequence for 2 piston and 3 piston front calipers.

I'm not sure about the AU market but in the USA and Europe the CTX700 came out in 2014. NC700 series bikes built in 2012-2013 have linked brakes with a different bleed sequence than 2014 and later bikes. But I'm sure you know all about that.

A clue is you mentioned a 3 piston front caliper, it will have two bleed valves on 2012-13s. Non-linked brake bikes have a 2 piston front caliper with 1 bleeder, 2013 and later. There is a different bleed sequence for 2 piston and 3 piston front calipers.

My CTX700 was from 2013. It was probably the first model and I loved that bike.

I just checked the PDF manual and the bleeding system is more complex so a quick Google gave me the gold information:

"...ABS model. it runs 2 pistons from the hand lever and the other one from the pedal in combination with the rear, so there are two hoses coming to the front brake"

Now it makes total sense. The other one, he refers to the one in the middle. It is smaller and basically, the rear system has 2 bleed valve, the rear one and this one which it the one with air on it.

Thank you so much for the tip, all of my bikes didn't have linked brakes no even my CTX coz I didn't have this problem.
I will have some fun when I get home today.

Thank you for saving the day @dduelin

screenshot_1.jpg
screenshot_2.jpg

Last night I went to check the bike and guess what?? The linked valve was full of air. Now the brake is working like I have never seen before.
Thank for your reply, it was the key to send me in the right direction :)

Last night I went to check the bike and guess what?? The linked valve was full of air. Now the brake is working like I have never seen before.
Thank for your reply, it was the key to send me in the right direction :)
That’s awesome. We are glad to help.

Back