• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Front sprocket NC750X DCT

glock3645

Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone changed chain and sprockets on DCT? Since you can’t put it in gear is the parking brake strong enough to hold the tire to break the front sprocket loose?

Has anyone changed chain and sprockets on DCT? Since you can’t put it in gear is the parking brake strong enough to hold the tire to break the front sprocket loose?
No, unless you have a good impact wrench.
I know people that put a piece of wood in front of the sprocket that the front sprocket jams up against or a 2x4 through the front part of the rear wheel. Rotate rear wheel until it is trapped against the swingarm. I was lucky and my impact whacked on it a little and it spun off. I know someone else who took a winch strap and strapped their rear tire to the lift so it wouldn't move. If you don't have a lift, strap it to something else.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I don’t think putting even a manual transmission in gear would hold the countershaft if the sprocket nut was tight.

The way I remember removing the nut the last time was, bike on sidestand, me straddling the bike while holding the brakes on, and maybe even some chocks in place, while reaching over and loosening the countershaft nut with a big socket wrench. It seems this would work whether it’s DCT or manual.

In any case, do not remove the drive chain until the countershaft nut is loosened.

Last edited:
I don’t think putting even a manual transmission in gear would hold the countershaft if the sprocket nut was tight.

The way I remember removing the nut the last time was, bike on sidestand, me straddling the bike while holding the brakes on, and maybe even some chocks in place, while reaching over and loosening the countershaft nut with a big socket wrench. It seems this would work whether it’s DCT or manual.

In any case, do not remove the drive chain until the countershaft nut is loosened.

I did a version of this but had my spouse on the bike stepping on the rear brake.

not being able to put something through the rear wheel is one of the major downsides of spoked wheels... not a problem on NCs of course.

The other solution..........air or electric impact will back the fastener off without the need to hold the wheel.

Same impact technique works on the clutch basket nut......no need for the clutch holding tools.

Obviously on the install......tightening with an impact in not torquing the fastener to a specific value.

Last edited:
The other solution..........air or electric impact will back the fastener off without the need to hold the wheel.

Same impact technique works on the clutch basket nut......no need for the clutch holding tools.

Obviously on the install......tightening with an impact in not torquing the fastener to a specific value.
While tightening I have never used an impact and haven't had the sprocket turn when giving a steady push to the correct torque. Don't jerk while it or else the sprocket will move and you won't have a chain on it yet. A small piece of wood can be used to jam it once it is almost to torque spec to get that last little bit. Don't do it earlier as the drive sprocket could twist and not seat correctly while tightening.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

As 670 mentioned....just have someone hold the rear brake on and loosen the nut. Using an impact on the sprocket nut is wise to avoid. The energy from the impact goes into the transmission parts.

Sorry..........but..........Those same forces to loosen the fastener are present with wrench. The impact might actually be less has it two hits and it’s off. You can literally hold the sprocket with a gloved hand and hit with the impact. In that case there are no forces applied to any parts other than the sprocket, the nut and your gloved hand.

IIRC the torque value on the drive sprocket is only 40 lbs. Let's not get carried away with the forces involved. Stick a broom handle through the rear wheel or use an impact driver with appropriate force.

Back