• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Lane Filtering Bill Passed in Utah

jtanner

Reaction score
Visit site
I apologize if this has already been discussed. I didn't see it mentioned in any recent threads.

Starting on May 14th, motorcycle filtering in Utah will be legal! If my research is correct, I believe that Utah will be the second state in the country behind California to legalize filtering, although the restrictions will be greater. Here are some details:

-Filtering can only occur on roads with posted speed limits at or below 45mph.
-Must occur between two lanes going in the same direction.
-Traffic must be stopped.
-Motorcycle cannot exceed 15mph.

Link to bill details: HB0149

As a Utahn, I'm pumped! This law will make traveling down main street in my town on the NC much more manageable. I do expect a fair amount of road-rage to arise due to the new law, but I'm hoping for the best.

Have you noticed any effort being made to educate the general driving public on this new law?

Have you noticed any effort being made to educate the general driving public on this new law?

There have been a few news stories that have come out online so far. All of which have been negatively responded to based on all the comments I've read. It's a little scary to see how negatively people seem to view riders in traffic. So far the biggest concerns for the public (based on online comments) is they all believe that their vehicles are going to get scratched and damaged and that somehow more bikers will end up dying. There's also lots of "what makes bikers so special that they get to cut lines?"

There have been a few news stories that have come out online so far. All of which have been negatively responded to based on all the comments I've read. It's a little scary to see how negatively people seem to view riders in traffic. So far the biggest concerns for the public (based on online comments) is they all believe that their vehicles are going to get scratched and damaged and that somehow more bikers will end up dying. There's also lots of "what makes bikers so special that they get to cut lines?"

I’m not surprised about the negative reactions from drivers. Motorcyclists are a very small minority, and of that small group, some behave in ways that irritate drivers and bias drivers against motorcyclists.

You suggested in your first post that road rage could be a problem. It’s looks like filtering could be a dangerous activity unless or until the drivers accept the law. And then you’ll never know if that one hostile driver is still out there. While I would not be hostile if a motorcycle scraped my car, I would be super pissed and expect the motorcyclist to accept full liability. Imagine how a non-motorcyclist would feel about it.

But then what do I know, since I’ve stated before that I don’t generally experience any traffic situations where filtering or splitting could be applicable?

Last edited:
UC Berkeley did a study a couple years ago that indicated that splitting lanes, done reasonably (I don't remember what speed/speed delta they used for "reasonably"), was safer than not. Of course, that's somewhere that people are used to it.

I’m not surprised about the negative reactions from drivers. Motorcyclists are a very small minority, and of that small group, some behave in ways that irritate drivers and bias drivers against motorcyclists.

You suggested in your first post that road rage could be a problem. It’s looks like filtering could be a dangerous activity unless or until the drivers accept the law. And then you’ll never know if that one hostile driver is still out there. While I would not be hostile if a motorcycle scraped my car, I would be super pissed and expect the motorcyclist to accept full liability. Imagine how a non-motorcyclist would feel about it.

But then what do I know, since I’ve stated before that I don’t generally experience any traffic situations where filtering or splitting could be applicable?

I agree that the rider should take responsibility for any damage done to cars, especially if the driver didn't deliberately try to block the bike. If a rider takes it upon them self to try and squeeze into a space that is clearly a risk, then they should be accountable for the bumps and scrapes that may happen.

I read up on the background of the bill and found that it's based on the statistic that over 1,200 bikers were rear-ended in the state between 2011 and 2017. Naturally, many were fatalities. With most of Utah's roadways being wide and spacious, I think the filtering law will be fantastic. To be clear, I'm not planning on filtering much at all until I've "tested the waters" a bit to make sure that drivers will be compliant and respectful.

There may be some growing pains, but surely for the better.

I agree that the rider should take responsibility for any damage done to cars, especially if the driver didn't deliberately try to block the bike. If a rider takes it upon them self to try and squeeze into a space that is clearly a risk, then they should be accountable for the bumps and scrapes that may happen.

I read up on the background of the bill and found that it's based on the statistic that over 1,200 bikers were rear-ended in the state between 2011 and 2017. Naturally, many were fatalities. With most of Utah's roadways being wide and spacious, I think the filtering law will be fantastic. To be clear, I'm not planning on filtering much at all until I've "tested the waters" a bit to make sure that drivers will be compliant and respectful.

There may be some growing pains, but surely for the better.

I agree that if the law reduces rear end collisions, it’s a good thing. Too bad they can’t clearly and widely announce to the four wheel driving public, or even make it a question on the license test, that the reason the motorcycles now get to go to the front of the line, is BECAUSE Y’ALL REAR ENDED ONE TOO MANY BIKES AND THIS IS HOW WE’RE GONNA DEAL WITH IT!

Why do bikers get to cut the lines? Why do a**hats in cars get to cut the lines? Every. Single. Day. I see someone that thinks they are the only driver that matters racing up a lane that is ending to swerve back into line because they were never taught to wait their turn. Just today I saw a truck drive in the left turn lane, through a major intersection and force his way into traffic simply because he couldn't be bothered to wait his turn. Bikers get to go first because we don't sit at the front of the line trying to finish that text, slap the baby or simply zone out.

I am not against it, but in Louisville, unless you have a narrow bike with no side cases, there is no way to filter or lane split-too many trucks, big SUVs and all the lanes are narrow-even the Interstate lanes are as narrow as they can legally make them (roads that use to be 2 lanes became 3 lanes by narrowing the lanes-really has happened..

Lane splitting is about the only reason I have left for staying in California. Works good, thr only people that seem to get pissed off are out of state cars that aren't familiar with it. A friend and I were moving to the front of a line of cars at a construction zone in Canada. Canadians, most friendly and polite group of people you could ask for. But pass them up on a bike and lookout! It was car doors opening and fenders cutting in, learned pretty quick not to do it there! Utahs law is a start, but being stuck on a high speed highway with stopped traffic is not good if you can't split lanes, sorry Utah you missed it.

Last edited:
I am not against it, but in Louisville, unless you have a narrow bike with no side cases, there is no way to filter or lane split-too many trucks, big SUVs and all the lanes are narrow-even the Interstate lanes are as narrow as they can legally make them (roads that use to be 2 lanes became 3 lanes by narrowing the lanes-really has happened..

I have to disagree with you. The streets are narrow, but so are the streets in Europe. It seems to work alright there. Also, my handlebars stick out further than my panniers. Even if the lanes are narrow, you don't have to do it. If you can fit, you shouldn't split. The onus is on the rider to make that call.

I think it would alleviate a lot of congestion, at least for me.

I'm not sure about all of Canada but it is illegal in the province of BC.

Yup, thats where we were. A lot of times in construction zones (in more places than California) the flagger will wave the bikes up to the front so they don't have to eat dust. We got stuck behind 1/2 mile of cars and trucks in a choking cloud of dust and loose gravel. Its one thing being illegal, another thing (I would think illegal) trying to knock motorcycles over in vigilante mode! Lesson learned, next time I will stop when I get to the flagger location and wait for the next pilot car, at least will be in front!

Last edited:
Yup, thats where we were. A lot of times in construction zones (in more places than California) the flagger will wave the bikes up to the front so they don't have to eat dust. We got stuck behind 1/2 mile of cars and trucks in a choking cloud of dust and loose gravel. Its one thing being illegal, another thing (I would think illegal) trying to knock motorcycles over in vigilante mode! Lesson learned, next time I will stop when I get to the flagger location and wait for the next pilot car, at least will be in front!

The vigilante mode is uncalled for. My understanding on the rational is that the motorcycle is a classed as a motor vehicle and must comply with those laws. Other motor vehicles are not permitted to split lanes or drive on the shoulder and motorcycles are bundled up in it.

That being said...driving over the posted speed limit is illegal. The consequence of getting caught would be a ticket. I have been known from time to time to exceed the speed limit knowing the potential consequences of my actions. I have also in grid lock on a congested highway slowly passed cars on the shoulder to get out of the the situation. I'm not advocating this but I did it knowing that I was off side and getting caught would lead to a penalty. We are adults and sometimes we use the wrong coloured crayons on purpose :)

I have to disagree with you. The streets are narrow, but so are the streets in Europe. It seems to work alright there. Also, my handlebars stick out further than my panniers. Even if the lanes are narrow, you don't have to do it. If you can fit, you shouldn't split. The onus is on the rider to make that call.

I think it would alleviate a lot of congestion, at least for me.

You are braver than I am in this city-heck, they try to kill me everyday I ride on the Interstate-cutting over, weaving, barely missing front fender...my work hours are such I miss most of morning and evening rush hour so the 1 time every 2-3 weeks I get stuck in traffic due to accidents/knuckleheads on the interstate is ok, and I dont work, drive, or shop in downtown (except for the 550am crossing of 2nd street bridge-and I cut over to I-65 as soon as possible), so I dont have to mess with that traffic either. I have no objections to it or other riders doing it; just isnt for me.

Yeah, vigilantism generally isn't justified for traffic violations.

If I'm doing the speed limit on the freeway, and someone is passing me, I don't get to ram them off the road. I don't think I've ever seen that suggested either.

Ramming riders splitting lanes is certainly something I've seen suggested, though.

You are braver than I am in this city-heck, they try to kill me everyday I ride on the Interstate-cutting over, weaving, barely missing front fender...my work hours are such I miss most of morning and evening rush hour so the 1 time every 2-3 weeks I get stuck in traffic due to accidents/knuckleheads on the interstate is ok, and I dont work, drive, or shop in downtown (except for the 550am crossing of 2nd street bridge-and I cut over to I-65 as soon as possible), so I dont have to mess with that traffic either. I have no objections to it or other riders doing it; just isnt for me.

I've never lived in an area that allows lane sharing, but it seems that the only time it would be needed is when traffic is either stopped or moving very slowly. In those instances, even with the narrow lanes, and in "Hospital Curve", it seems as though it would be safe. If traffic is moving at a decent pace (>or=speed limit) I can't see that splitting would be either necessary or advantageous anyway.

i have been lane splitting in CA for 10 years now, it is almost the reason i have a motorcycle, i commute everyday to work. if I drive it takes me 1hr to get to work, if i split lane in the motorcycle i get there is 20-25 min.

it would really help traffic if more people were to ride.

I've never lived in an area that allows lane sharing, but it seems that the only time it would be needed is when traffic is either stopped or moving very slowly. In those instances, even with the narrow lanes, and in "Hospital Curve", it seems as though it would be safe. If traffic is moving at a decent pace (>or=speed limit) I can't see that splitting would be either necessary or advantageous anyway.
Totally agree

Back