• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Front Wheel Woes

jtanner

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone,

About 2-3 years ago I got my '14 NC for a killer deal with under 200 miles on the OD. It has been a delight to own and ride, and I've put around 6-7k miles on it since then. However, it has a quirk that I'd like to address if I can.

The reason I got a good deal on the bike was due to the original owner wrecking it and messing up the forks (still had the dealer plate on it). A local guy bought it at an auction, put new forks on it, and BAM, it looked brand new. There was no way to tell that it was in an accident other than a couple of minor blemishes on the muffler and front fender. Anyway, the guy fixed the bike up for his son who didn't want it, so I was able to grab it for $3k.

There is only a single mechanical hiccup that remains from the bike's wreck: the front rim has a very slight bend to it. This results in some wobble at certain speeds (not aggressive at all), and a slightly uneven wear pattern on the tire. Soon after I got the bike I took it to a Honda dealer and they checked it out. They said that the bend didn't pose much of a safety risk, but suggested that I replace the rim. At the time it was quoted at over $700, so I declined.

Now, while poking around online, the only new rim I can find is still over $500. This might be a dumb question, but are there rims from other bikes that would match up with the NC's? I would love to have the front end roll smoothly like it was born to do. As you would expect, the used parts market for the NC is pretty thin since the bike hasn't been around for decades. Any thoughts would be great, thanks!

I have seen wheels here and there pop up on eBay but I’m pretty sure there aren’t any other wheels that will fit on the bike but I could be wrong. If it’s not urgent and it doesn’t sound like it is, I would put a search alert on eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For reference since I don't know if you have DCT, ABS, etc. nor if that changes the wheel any. So verify for your model but yes a couple thoughts.

2014 HONDA NC700X A FRONT WHEEL
2014 Honda NC700X A FRONT WHEEL | Ron Ayers

WHEEL SUB-ASSY., FR. 44650-MJL-D31
$448.82

A Google search for the part number led me here:
WHEEL SUB-ASSY., FR. (44650-MJL-D31) | MotoSport

This part fits these bikes:

HONDA CBR650FA
Year: 2016
Part: WHEEL SUB-ASSY., FR.
Part Group: front wheel

HONDA NC700X
Year: 2014

Year: 2015

The original NC front wheel actually has a different part number so something has changed.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01HD using Tapatalk

Wow, awesome responses, thank you very much! I especially appreciate the links and research you guys did to help me out, you guys are great.

I'm definitely going to look down the rabbit hole that jspivy opened up regarding possible replacement rims (mine doesn't have DCT or ABS so I'll see how that affects things) and I'm also curious about the possibility of repairing the current rim as a couple of you brought up. When I went to the dealer they were firm in their explanation that the rim was "made of an alloy that cannot be repaired." Hmm.

Up to about 2011, the microfiche on dealer sites had a cross reference option. For example, I wanted an adjustable clutch lever for my 1995 ST1100 but none were available (or it was $150+, I don't recall which). So I looked up the master cylinder (hydraulic clutch), copied the part number, pasted in their search box, and had a list of bikes with the same master cylinder. Bought an adjustable lever set for a CBR which had the same brake master cylinder too. Life was good and it cost less than $30.

That feature was removed so now we have to use Google and hope a third party doesn't lead us astray. It irritates me everytime I look for parts because aftermarket parts for certain style bikes seem to cost less so I'd like to buy those. Why pay more for the same part?

Up to about 2011, the microfiche on dealer sites had a cross reference option. For example, I wanted an adjustable clutch lever for my 1995 ST1100 but none were available (or it was $150+, I don't recall which). So I looked up the master cylinder (hydraulic clutch), copied the part number, pasted in their search box, and had a list of bikes with the same master cylinder. Bought an adjustable lever set for a CBR which had the same brake master cylinder too. Life was good and it cost less than $30.

That feature was removed so now we have to use Google and hope a third party doesn't lead us astray. It irritates me everytime I look for parts because aftermarket parts for certain style bikes seem to cost less so I'd like to buy those. Why pay more for the same part?

I thought the part look up feature was still around. I went to procaliber.com, Honda OEM parts, and put in the wheel part number from the post above. I clicked the "Where used" button and the following was returned:

• NC700XA (14) NC700X, JPN, VIN# JH2RC630-EK000001 TO JH2RC630-EK099999
  • NC700XA (15) NC700X, JPN, VIN# JH2RC630-FK100001
  • NC700XAC (14) NC700X, JPN, VIN# JH2RC635-EK200001 TO JH2RC635-EK299999
  • NC700XAC (15) NC700X, JPN, VIN# JH2RC635-FK300001
  • NC700XDA (14) NC700XD, JPN, VIN# JH2RC634-EK000001 TO JH2RC634-EK099999
  • NC700XDA (15) NC700XD, JPN, VIN# JH2RC634-FK100001
  • NC700XDAC (14) NC700XD, JPN, VIN# JH2RC631-EK200001 TO JH2RC631-EK299999
  • NC700XDAC (15) NC700XD, JPN, VIN# JH2RC631-FK300001

For reference since I don't know if you have DCT, ABS, etc. nor if that changes the wheel any. So verify for your model but yes a couple thoughts.

2014 HONDA NC700X A FRONT WHEEL
2014 Honda NC700X A FRONT WHEEL | Ron Ayers

WHEEL SUB-ASSY., FR. 44650-MJL-D31
$448.82

A Google search for the part number led me here:
WHEEL SUB-ASSY., FR. (44650-MJL-D31) | MotoSport

This part fits these bikes:

HONDA CBR650FA
Year: 2016

HONDA NC700X
Year: 2014

Year: 2015

The original NC front wheel actually has a different part number so something has changed.

Photos I see of a CBR650FA show two front brake disks, hence the NC wheel is not compatible with the CBR650FA. I would not trust Google for parts compatibility look up.

Photos I see of a CBR650FA show two front brake disks, hence the NC wheel is not compatible with the CBR650FA. I would not trust Google for parts compatibility look up.
Sure enough, it's a different wheel (I just now looked up the bike on Ron Ayers). Keep in mind Google just indexes stuff that others put on their sites. In this case, MotoSport said it would fit both bikes so I guess they're not trust worthy. That's why I mentioned to verify stuff first.

Last edited:
I thought the part look up feature was still around. I went to procaliber.com, Honda OEM parts, and put in the wheel part number from the post above. I clicked the "Where used" button and the following was returned:

• NC700XA (14) NC700X, JPN, VIN# JH2RC630-EK000001 TO JH2RC630-EK099999
  • NC700XA (15) NC700X, JPN, VIN# JH2RC630-FK100001
  • NC700XAC (14) NC700X, JPN, VIN# JH2RC635-EK200001 TO JH2RC635-EK299999
  • NC700XAC (15) NC700X, JPN, VIN# JH2RC635-FK300001
  • NC700XDA (14) NC700XD, JPN, VIN# JH2RC634-EK000001 TO JH2RC634-EK099999
  • NC700XDA (15) NC700XD, JPN, VIN# JH2RC634-FK100001
  • NC700XDAC (14) NC700XD, JPN, VIN# JH2RC631-EK200001 TO JH2RC631-EK299999
  • NC700XDAC (15) NC700XD, JPN, VIN# JH2RC631-FK300001

That wheel is used on all years of NC and I believe all years of the CTX700. Your part number look-up matched all models that used ‘that’ wheel painted ‘that’ color. Different years have different paint colors.

JT

Or MC Wheel Repair in Tuscon, which is who I used to repair a rather large dent in my front rim. Both seem to quote about the same initial price; both say to send them a pic first.

mcwheel main page

I used MC Wheel when I bent my NC's front rim. It was cheap compared to a new rim. If memory serves, it was $200-250. I'll try to find the exact price. I went ahead and ordered new bearings just in case. Glad I did! You couldn't tell the wheel was ever damaged. I definitely recommend them.

Edit: I couldn't find out what I paid, but after looking at the MCWheel website, it was probably in the $120 range. C.R.S. is getting worse.

Last edited:
I used MC Wheel when I bent my NC's front rim. It was cheap compared to a new rim. If memory serves, it was $200-250. I'll try to find the exact price. I went ahead and ordered new bearings just in case. Glad I did! You couldn't tell the wheel was ever damaged. I definitely recommend them.

Edit: I couldn't find out what I paid, but after looking at the MCWheel website, it was probably in the $120 range. C.R.S. is getting worse.

I'll have to look into using MC Wheel, their pricing seems pretty good. Although their website admittedly looks sketchy and makes me hesitant to ship a wheel across the states to them.

Hoping to get lucky I called a couple of wheel repair shops here in Utah with no luck. One of them said they simply didn't have the right equipment and the guy at the other shop jumped into lecture mode and said he wouldn't trust his life on a bent or straightened bike wheel. Thanks boss.

I just noticed that MC wheel is just in Tucson, so that's closer than I thought! I must have confused the location with another shop I was Googling.

I just noticed that MC wheel is just in Tucson, so that's closer than I thought! I must have confused the location with another shop I was Googling.

I sent my wheel from Missouri. I'd do it again in a second. Give them a call.

Back