• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Rattle can paint match???

melensdad

Reaction score
Visit site
Just curious, but does anyone know if there is a color match spray paint to match the metallic red on a 2018 NC750x?

Does Honda sell one? Or aftermarket code match from some other supplier?

I’m thinking of painting my pannier boxes.

There should be a paint code. On the 2015 it is under the rear seat on the frame.

I’m not sure if it is Honda specific or if a paint store could match it.

JT

Get the paint color code from the label under the passenger seat. Go to colorrite.com, a motorcycle paint vendor, and order the base color and the clear coat. If the paint code was also used on Honda automobiles, you may also be able to order the paint via the code from the automotive paint vendors as well, such as automotivetouchup.com

Last edited:
Well it was harder to find a match than I thought it should be. I made the mistake by using the vehicle selector. After messing about a bit I simply plugged the paint code into the search engine and the correct paint color showed up.

1 can of primer
1 can of primer adhesive for using primer on plastic
1 can of actually paint
1 can of clear coat

all cans are aerosol

$125 seems outrageous but I think it will dramatically improve the look of the bike to have the pannier boxes color matched to the bike. I'm just hoping that 1 can of each will be enough. Somehow I doubt it. But that is what I will start with and we'll see how it goes.

Last edited:
Well it was harder to find a match than I thought it should be. I made the mistake by using the vehicle selector. After messing about a bit I simply plugged the paint code into the search engine and the correct paint color showed up.

1 can of primer
1 can of primer adhesive for using primer on plastic
1 can of actually paint
1 can of clear coat

all cans are aerosol

$125 seems outrageous but I think it will dramatically improve the look of the bike to have the pannier boxes color matched to the bike. I'm just hoping that 1 can of each will be enough. Somehow I doubt it. But that is what I will start with and we'll see how it goes.

Colorrite is well known for high prices. (AKA outrageous). The color match especially with metallics may not be right or even acceptable.......varies widely and application technique can play a part.

Last edited:
Pictures or it didn’t happen.

JT

LOL

I've started disassembly and tape on the pannier boxes, but I'm not ready to prime or paint yet. Going to start the paint with the top box and see what happens. If I like it I will (buy more if necessary) proceed to the side boxes.

But when I get the painting started/done I will post photos.

OK so the boxes were partially disassembled, taped and painted (primer adhesive, color primer, color, clear coat).

I think its the right color but it is a little lighter than the factory paint. I used 1 can of color for all 3 boxes. I believe that 2 cans would have given me a somewhat better, richer color more like the factory color. That said, I'm happy with the result. It is likely that I will repeat the process in the fall of this year, but for now its pretty darn close and pretty darn good. I think better looking too. Looks less like a pizza deliver bike now!

FWIW, the Hepco Becker Gobi boxes come in different color schemes. All silver or a two tone Black w/Silver accents. I decided to mimic the 2 tone version of the H-B color scheme but do it in Honda's metallic red w/Silver accents.

rTAinegQZqCNwcnzOuBw_zpsmvklbdms.jpg

DbgBGRykSsOXbVJa9XQ4sA_zpsphjejjuc.jpg

8k0MFVVRnOEK7MOs4R91Q_zpsu3b3bwo6.jpg

N8eix937Qc2rzK4JWgAmA_zpsmsichf2j.jpg

JBQfKynbSeXfL83W9UJgw_zpsbay0vwaw.jpg

0H39bjDtSwDp1HjcxKdXg_zpsxrwiso5j.jpg

Reactions: MZ5
That turned out really nice. I love that red color!

JT

I think so too.

By the way, in the last photo showing the top box mounted onto the bike, you can see a lot of difference in the color between the back of the box and the color on the Frunk. Much of that difference is due to the lighting inside the garage. The color actually matches reasonably well. Better than it looks in the photo. I have the garage door open and it was very sunny outside so sun was reflecting on the back of the top box and that makes it look lighter/faded compared to the side and more-faded when compared to the color of the Frunk.

Oh, and for comparison, here is what the Hepco Becker "Black Edition" cases look like, which is what I was trying to duplicate, except in the proper Honda metallic red color scheme. I came fairly close.

Some bits like the latches, are not easily removed so they had to be taped over. I also didn't want to paint the attachment points on the back/bottom sides of the boxes because I figured it would not hold up and would simply chip/wear.

Overall I really like these boxes. Somewhat bulkier than an aluminum box but they can take a beating. H-B Gobi boxes are the factory boxes used on some of the KTM bikes. I bought them because I got a smoking hot deal and couldn't pass up the bargain. I also like the fact that the side pannier racks are attached by quick attach assemblies. Remove the cases and a simple half-turn on the various attachment points and the whole rack assembly removes. About a 1 minute job to remove and 2 minutes to reattach.

View attachment 38000

View attachment 38001

Last edited:
OK so here is the whole bike, with side and top boxes.

Pardon all the construction debris around the bike, we are remodeling the upstairs apartment over the garage and everything but the bikes are moved outside so we can work inside.

I'm glad that I mimicked the Hepco-Becker 2 tone scheme instead of their monochrome scheme; I like the two-tone red-silver boxes and think they very nicely match the two-tone red-silver Honda paint scheme. I also like the fact that the boxes don't stand out visually like big square silver pizza delivery boxes anymore. I think the red paint makes them look visually smaller and integrates them visually better with the bike and the silver accents match the Honda silver accents nicely.

Of course, just my opinions but I'm the one who has to live with it. For me, its a major improvement in looks.

tAYn3YciT3aZKJHJk8voA_zpsfhazwdz4.jpg

@melensdad Sorry for reviving an old thread. The silver on the cowl covers, do you have the paint code for that by chance?

Thank you.

Mike
NO, sorry.

The factory color of my boxes were so close to the sliver cowl covers that I did not paint the silver stripes on my boxes. I just left them the original color. I taped them off and painted the Duplicolor red onto the boxes, removed the tape and ended up with a 2 tone that looks like a factory match to the Honda bike.

NO, sorry.

The factory color of my boxes were so close to the sliver cowl covers that I did not paint the silver stripes on my boxes. I just left them the original color. I taped them off and painted the Duplicolor red onto the boxes, removed the tape and ended up with a 2 tone that looks like a factory match to the Honda bike.
Thanks for taking the time to read and respond. Appreciated!

Back