• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Went for a ride on a sunny day, got caught in a rain storm

melensdad

Reaction score
Visit site
Well according to the weatherman this morning it was supposed to reach nearly 60 degrees (F) about 2pm, with dropping temps starting about 3pm and possible rain starting at 5pm.

But morning and mid-day the weather was supposed to be nice. Sun or lightly overcast, but no rain, temps hovering in the mid-50s (F). Sounded like a good day for a ride.

Hopped on my wife's NC700x and drove (the long way) up to the cigar lounge to hang out with the guys, enjoy a nice cigar, and enjoy the weather since we've had below normal temps and rain. Today is only the 3rd day this year with temps above 50 degrees.

Left the lounge with the sun shining and no change in the weather forecast. Decided to go home (the extra-extra long way) but planned to stop at a local drive-in joint for a burger. Mostly back roads, semi-scenic, just a relaxing ride racking up some miles in the seat. About a mile outside the small town where the drive-in is located I notice water drops on the windshield. WTH it's sunny outside??? Closer I get to the little town the harder the rain is falling. By the time I get to the drive-in hamburger stand its a good hard rain. Its only 1pm ... rain is not supposed to even be close to here at this time!

There is no inside seating, its actually a walk-up only type place with picnic tables so I just drive past heading home. Fortunately home is only about 9 miles away.

This is the first time I've ridden the NC700x in the rain. I've barely ridden it on wet roads. So for this bike, with these tires, I didn't quite know what to expect. Happy to report the tires held traction without any issues. As they are factory tires I was somewhat concerned. Gained a lot of confidence on the bike today.

Not happy about getting wet, but happy the experience with these tires and this bike was so positive. I was wearing blue jeans, a First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket, Dianese waterproof gloves, and waterproof motorcycle boots. I had thought about wearing my motorcycle pants but opted against it. Yup, I'm an idiot.

Pulled into the garage. By the time I got my helmet and glove put away and walked out the door it was sunny again.

Last edited:
The last sentence made me laugh. It was sunny again. Isn't that how it always works?

Glad you got a little confidence booster. Even after years of riding in the rain, I'm still cautious on wet roads because you have traction until you don't. The tires can go out from under the bike before you know and without warning BUT the tires tend to grip better than what a less experienced rider might think.

At least you finally got a break in the weather. The wife is from Illinois so here side of the family still lives there. It has been a rough winter this year.

Glad you got a little confidence booster. Even after years of riding in the rain, I'm still cautious on wet roads because you have traction until you don't.
Having factory tires on this bike with zero prior experience on this bike/tires in the rain, I had no idea what to expect from the tires. I was pleasantly surprised. Granted I wasn't on twisty roads and high speeds, no standing water issues, etc. These were 2 lane country roads with speeds running 40 to 55mph.

I did a cone track day in the rain and learned a fair bit about what a normal road tire can do in when it is warmed up. Was a really good experience. Happy to hear of you confidence building experience.

Back