• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

LED kits.. Help!

BassBob

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey! BassBob (newbe) checking in (again). So, I'm new to NC700's and new to this forum. In fact, it's my first brand new bike. Newest bike I've owned was a 90' Interceptor. (Yea, I know a learning curve coming up).
I'm confused about led conversions. Heat?, Fast blinking? Cool? Last forever? Should I bother?
I guess I'd like some thoughts on this topic. And if I do decide to make this conversion, who's kit is the best?

Thanks in advance!
BassBob

Hi Bob. They get mixed reviews and I am not the guy to answer the questions with established credibility, unfortunately. But I have learned a few things researching this topic here and on other sites. The topic has been tossed around quite a bit here on the forum. I think there are quite a few considerations. Are you trying to improve the ability of others to see you? Are you unconcerned about night driving? LEDs might improve your conspicuity to others in the daytime while decreasing your ability to see others at night.

The combination of the reflector and the architecture of the replacement bulb work together. So, if the bulb does not hit the reflector properly, you may not achieve either result...being seen by others or seeing better in low light.

No. They do not last forever. They are a wear item but produce the same amount of lumens, generally, across the life of the bulb.

You may get fast blinking turn signals if you convert those bulbs to LED. But, that is due to the turn signal controller (can't recall what it is called). But, I believe they have an aftermarket solution that was discovered by prior posters on this site. There is no CANBUS on the NC700X. So those errors that you might get on an automobile by switching to LEDs are not present, in this bike, for the same reasons.

Yes, there is heat but most manufacturers of QUALITY bulbs manage it well through passive or electromechanical methods. Not to worry...generally. Fitment maybe an issue in either case.

Yes, you should bother if the bulb checks all of the boxes for what you are trying to achieve.

Remember, LED or not, you need spare bulbs. So you'll have to keep some h7s on hand or another LED in your frunk, wherever.

Cannot comment on which manufacturer is the best. But if you have an earlier model without the LED headlamp, I wonder if the NC750 LED will retrofit into the NC700. Might have been discussed in the past on here.

If you are trying to achieve conspicuity/increased visibility by you to others, you might look at Skene Photon Blasters. Stupid name. Outstanding product.

Last edited:
I believe we have decided the LED headlight from the 2018 NC750X will fit earlier incandescent models, but the wiring may require modification. Depending on you financial resources, it may or may not be a viable solution, but it would probably offer a better beam pattern than an LED lamp retrofit.

[FONT=&quot]33100-MKA-D82
HEADLIGHT ASSY.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]MSRP: $791.56
Dealer Price: $633.25
[/FONT]

LEDs
Headlight: fairly simple conversion.
Turn signals: need a new controller relay to get rid of fast blink.
Tail light/brake light: is also the license plate light, illegal to light the license plate red, and white bulbs look washed out through red reflectors (in theory some LED bulbs will look less washed out than others depending on chemistry, but I've not been able to get my hands on any to test.)

As for if should you bother...
Benefits that actually matter to most people on a motorcycle, more choice of light "temperature/color" for the headlight, faster reaction for the brake light (by a few milliseconds) and crisper on and off for turn signals. Also they last longer, so if something is a pain to replace, might be worth putting an LED in to when you replace it.

Personally I might do the headlight when my stock bulb burns out... but I'm in no rush. I'd like to do the brake light, but haven't gotten motivated enough to deal with license plate lighting... and I'll probably never do the turn signals, they don't burn out particularly fast, and I've no need for them to blink "crisper" while riding.

I just went with Denali aftermarket auxiliary LED lights. Auto turn on when my brights do. Can also put on some for the low beam. They do have some brackets but I made my own. I like to light up the ditches at night as I live in deer country. This also gives me more bulbs in case the headlight bulb dies. Define let's people see you more during the day too.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the NC

I use my NC700X to commute to work and start between 0230 and 0500 depending on the day of the week so at least half my riding is in the dark.

If you've got the money and want the best there's lots of options for high quality.

If your more frugal (such as myself) I installed a led headlight recommended by
Dduelin (proven record of knowing what he's talking about) and it was a definite improvement but I still wanted more range so I installed Denali 2 knock offs with this setup I ride 80mph in the dark without out running my light or bothering other riders or drivers

Headlight

BEAMTECH H4 LED Headlight Bulb, 50W 6500K 8000Lumens Extremely Brigh (9003 Hi/Lo) CSP Chips Conversion Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XHD78DQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_vfyKCbBGTZDYV

Auxiliary lights

Xprite 10 Watt 2-inch CREE High Power Off-Road LED Spot Light for Motorcycle Off-road Vehicles Pickup Truck UTV ATV - 2 PACK https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SNX6E60/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_bkyKCbE003V5K

Bonus headlight, I haven't tried this one but if I didn't already have mine I'd try it, any one try this type?

BEAMTECH H4 LED Headlight Bulb,Fanless CSP Y19 Chips 8000 Lumens 6500K Xenon White 9003 Hi/Lo Extremely Bright Conversion Kit of 2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071778DGG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_piyKCb6R1DW3Z

For other options and details on installing these or most any other accessory, look around there's some cool ideas.

The garage door opener that is hooked up to the high beam switch is one of my favorites

mzflorida, 670cc, anglached, 1wiseguy2, rippin 209. Wow!! Great info from all of you! Thanks again!
But this is the reason I joined this forum. ( and glad I did) Looking for information/experience, and man, did you all deliver.
Truth is, most of my riding is done during day light. However, the police here in Bambi-land (Wisconsin) STRONGLY recommend
keeping your hi-beams off, (flashing ok,) so as to not temporarily blind Bambi and his (her?) nummi num.
Be well! BassBob

mzflorida, 670cc, anglached, 1wiseguy2, rippin 209. Wow!! Great info from all of you! Thanks again!
But this is the reason I joined this forum. ( and glad I did) Looking for information/experience, and man, did you all deliver.
Truth is, most of my riding is done during day light. However, the police here in Bambi-land (Wisconsin) STRONGLY recommend
keeping your hi-beams off, (flashing ok,) so as to not temporarily blind Bambi and his (her?) nummi num.
Be well! BassBob
Down here in Northern Illinois and many trips into Wisconsin I keep my brights on. I will flash the lights and honk the horn if I have time before impact. Over the years I have come to the conclusion why those deer wait until you are almost there and then jump right into you. Watch the shadow next time as you approach them. It is stretching way out to their side down the road. As you get closer it starts to rotate position and swing behind them. As you continue to close it quickly rotated behind them and just before you reach them it rushes very quickly up to them. That's when their prey animal instincts kick in and they jump away from what seems to be attacking them and into you. So goes my observation and thought. I douse the brights to dims and honk. They usually turn away or sit and watch me. Bright lights are a must so I can see those creatures getting ready to cross the road well in advance and get ready for them. I even angle my auxiliary lights slightly towards each ditch so it sweeps up the ditch and helps out my headlight.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back