• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Oil filters for 700/ 750 different?

sarge

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello
Wife has 2015 nc700
I have 2018 NC 750
Online stores have oil filters for the 700 but say they will not fit the 750?
any ideas/ advice?

700 and 750 use the same oil filter.

In fact, Honda uses very few oil filter types across all products. I think I could use the same oil filter type on my NC700, Goldwing, and even the Ridgeline pickup.

700 and 750 use the same oil filter.

In fact, Honda uses very few oil filter types across all products. I think I could use the same oil filter type on my NC700, Goldwing, and even the Ridgeline pickup.

thats what I thought Thanks very much

All the Honda bikes use the same spin-on filter but in my experience, the cars use a taller filter, blue in color, but I suspect the threads and O-ring seal may be the same diameter so using the bike filter on a Honda car/truck would probably work.

Well theres a shock. The same filter for the 700 and 750 NCs also fit both my triumphs ???

Yes, though the OEM Honda filters are expensive compared to aftermarket ones they are usually much cheaper than what Triumph dealers charge for a T1218001 OEM filter.

All the Honda bikes use the same spin-on filter but in my experience, the cars use a taller filter, blue in color, but I suspect the threads and O-ring seal may be the same diameter so using the bike filter on a Honda car/truck would probably work.

You are correct. Honda/Acura 15400-PLM-A01 or A02 filters are an exact fit for the Honda 15410-MFJ-D01 motorcycle filter. The car filters are about 5/8" longer. The A01s are internet-considered "better" because they have an metal bypass valve frame instead of the A02's plastic one. I don't think it makes a difference.

The thread diameter of 20 mm and thread pitch of 1.5 of these filters is extremely common for auto oil filters. Every aftermarket filter maker most likely makes a filter that fits a late model Honda motorcycle, since 2004. The difference between filters is in bypass pressure and media effectiveness. Honda uses a specification for filter media that is not all that fine ( catching smaller particles vs larger particles ) but makes up for it by moving alot of oil through them. Finer filters would clog sooner and perhaps go into bypass operation.

I am very comfortable using Honda car filters on my motorcycles and do it all the time, even the Miata uses them.

Last edited:
I use the same filter on my Honda Ridgeline pickup as I do on my NCX, but I do _not_ use Honda’s branded filter. They filter about as well as a 200-mesh sieve (exaggerating for comedic purposes), which is a waste of time and money. There are a myriad of SAE publications which demonstrate that cleaner (better-filtered) engine oil results in significantly lower wear, and I have data from my own NCX to show the cleanliness improvement over even new oil that I get from using good filters.

MZ5 - that may be true but at the end of the day how much difference does it make? I had a '97 PC800 that I bought new and put 102k miles on it before it was sold to a friend who used it to commute to work (80-mile round trip) for another 2-years. Oil consumption on that engine was nil. And I used nothing but Honda OEM filters

DirtFlier, I don't think that's the question. The question is: Why would a person pay _more_ to have exceptionally poor filtering, rather than less for extremely good filtering and also high quality construction? I'm not talking about buying something made by slave labor somewhere, either. The Honda OEM filters just don't make any sense to me on any level. :confused:

I use the same filter on my Honda Ridgeline pickup as I do on my NCX, but I do _not_ use Honda’s branded filter. They filter about as well as a 200-mesh sieve (exaggerating for comedic purposes), which is a waste of time and money. There are a myriad of SAE publications which demonstrate that cleaner (better-filtered) engine oil results in significantly lower wear, and I have data from my own NCX to show the cleanliness improvement over even new oil that I get from using good filters.

Of course, why use that crap Honda filter if you expect to get to a million miles without significant oil burnoff and loss of compression? Everyone knows Honda's reputation for long service life and it's a wonder who they fooled on the way to building a 70 year old reputation selling that crap stuff. In my driveway we've had an Accord that went 260,000 miles, a Civic with 199,000 miles, two CR-Vs @268,000 and 222,000 miles, an ST1300 with 180,000 miles ( that POS developed more dyno horsepower and torque at 158,000 miles than it had at 44,000 and all but one of it's 36 oil filters a crap Honda filter! ) and others that were traded before high mileage. One of the CR-Vs and the Civic were wrecked but the others I sold or traded still running great. I didn't include the 62,000 miles on the NCs. Never an issue in any of these vehicles with oil burning or loss of compression but that's only 1.167 million miles and I'm only one Honda driving family. They probably aren't any others like me, well maybe this guy with 600,000 miles on his Honda and usually serviced at a Honda dealership, oh the horror, 600k on crap Honda OEM filters. The 600,000 Mile Man | Honda World Blog

Sarcasm aside, how much better than Honda's specification does a filter have to be to be better than Honda's hard won history shows OEM to be?

Of course, why use that crap Honda filter if you expect to get to a million miles without significant oil burnoff and loss of compression? Everyone knows Honda's reputation for long service life and it's a wonder who they fooled on the way to building a 70 year old reputation selling that crap stuff. In my driveway we've had an Accord that went 260,000 miles, a Civic with 199,000 miles, two CR-Vs @268,000 and 222,000 miles, an ST1300 with 180,000 miles ( that POS developed more dyno horsepower and torque at 158,000 miles than it had at 44,000 and all but one of it's 36 oil filters a crap Honda filter! ) and others that were traded before high mileage. One of the CR-Vs and the Civic were wrecked but the others I sold or traded still running great. I didn't include the 62,000 miles on the NCs. Never an issue in any of these vehicles with oil burning or loss of compression but that's only 1.167 million miles and I'm only one Honda driving family. They probably aren't any others like me, well maybe this guy with 600,000 miles on his Honda and usually serviced at a Honda dealership, oh the horror, 600k on crap Honda OEM filters. The 600,000 Mile Man | Honda World Blog

Sarcasm aside, how much better than Honda's specification does a filter have to be to be better than Honda's hard won history shows OEM to be?
If I can get the same quality for less money that's an improvement, or it's simple convenience. The town I live in has 45,000 to 50,000 people but nowhere within 45 minutes from my house sell Honda brand filters, both of those small hurdles are overcome by preparation.
I've seen some good deals when buying in bulk online

Dave, that post is a veritable cornucopia of non sequiturs and strawmen.

-Honda's filters filter extremely poorly (among the worst in the industry).
-Significant amounts of research prove that better filtration leads to better durability (longevity).
-Honda charges _more_ than the alternatives for their deficient performance in this particular part.

These are simple facts. If you have _other_ reasons for wanting to give the dealer or American Honda more money, fine. Just don't confuse yourself or anyone else here that it's because the Honda part in this particular case is in any sense 'better.' It very simply is not.

Filters being as they may, I propose that you could run the NC for a couple hundred thousand miles with no oil filter. Just install a bypass. I have no proof, test results, experience, or data to back that up but my gut feel is that we are more concerned with filter design and performance than we need to be.

Of the 7 motorcycles/scooters I have, 3 of them have no oil filter except for one having a very coarse wire screen. In addition, I have a 1984 Honda push mower now beginning it’s 36th reliable year of use and it’s engine has no oil filter by design. So, I don’t get too worried about oil filters. I buy a reasonably priced one from a reputable brand and move on.

Last edited:
Those Honda filters are “so bad”........Honda says your suppose to change the filter every other oil change. That recommendation goes for motorcycle and automotive products.

Just maybe they know something ........the general public does not know. If it was money grab issue ........they would be replacing the filter twice as often.

Anyone can buy SAE papers if they actually want to know what they're talking about. Everyone gets to pick for themselves.

Greg, I think that's a reasonable strategy... which would result in never buying Honda filters. (-;

Anyone can buy SAE papers if they actually want to know what they're talking about. Everyone gets to pick for themselves.

Greg, I think that's a reasonable strategy... which would result in never buying Honda filters. (-;
Sure, cleaner oil is better than dirty oil. Nobody is arguing with that but in the case of your Honda NC700X or Ridgeline, just what does saving $3 a filter actually get you?

Does the engine last longer? Fewer repairs? Something, anything?

Sure, cleaner oil is better than dirty oil. Nobody is arguing with that but in the case of your Honda NC700X or Ridgeline, just what does saving $3 a filter actually get you?

Does the engine last longer? Fewer repairs? Something, anything?

That's the thing. I/we don't know the negative effects of using certain oil types, oil filters, oil change interval habits, etc, because at least in my world and what I see in many other people's worlds, engines don't wear out or fail mechanically. I've driven and ridden vehicles collectively over 1.3 million miles. I have been running dozens of gasoline and one Diesel engine here and there for over the course of almost 50 years and none of them ever wore out. I sold them before they wore out, or I still have them and they have yet to wear out. So until there is evidence that I have reached some threshold where failure might actually occur, I'm beginning to think I am over maintaining many of these machines, or at least maintaining them adequately with no reason to invest any more money/time in them than I am.

Would an OEM filter vs an aftermarket filter prevent an engine failure before I've grown tired of the machine and sold or disposed of it anyway? I don't know. I have no engine failure experience to draw upon. So for the time being I’ll treat them as equally acceptable and not put any more thought into it. Price and availability will most likely be the deciding factors.

Last edited:
I typically use auto filters on both my bikes because it is the same one for my CR-V and my son’s Civic.
I have a Honda OEM filter on my NC only because I happened to be at the dealership and picked it up along with some drain plug washers. Otherwise I usually take advantage of Mobil1 oil and filter mail-in rebates or local stores oil + filter coupons.

Now that I think about it. My two current bikes are the only bikes I’ve ever owned that even had an oil filter. All my other ones did not.

JT

With any luck..........spring is here soon ( for some of us) ...........may be riding by the end of the week ?

So we get riding and stop talking about dip sticks and oil filters.

Back