• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Odd Wear pattern PR4

drdubb

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I was planning to put new rubber on the NC later in the spring, but while on a 100 mile ride today, I noticed sudden wear on by front tire. When I left home, the tire was fine, pressure at 34. Pressure at the pic is 36. I can't imagine what caused the uneven wear and so quick. Any thoughts.

2019030219042304-IMG_0343-XL.jpg

I think my tires tend to wear more on the left of center than the right. Maybe it’s a combination of crowned roads, and left turns being longer and faster than rights.

It’s not uncommon or me to think my tires are fine, then come home from a day ride with cord showing.

Last edited:
Just seems odd, I checked them before leaving and didn't ride that many miles or doing anything odd. About 50 miles of interstate and then some back roads.

I'm not working this week, so I'll order new tires, pull the wheels and poke around a little.

Pilot Roads sometimes wear lumpy and uneven, I've seen it on my own bikes and of others. People blame it on all kinds of reasons like pressure, dual compound consistency, alignment, road conditions.

My PR4 is wearing funny on my ST1300. Wore the left side going west through North Dakota and two weeks later wore the right size coming back east two weeks later. A lot of wind out of the south both ways. It looks like a trapezoid.

JT

They are as we know, dual compound tires. I wonder if in the manufacturing process your tires rubber compound on that side ended up being softer than intended? Might be worth a try seeing if your dealer will ask Michelin if they’ll warranty them? Just a thought. Other than that, I haven’t a clue, but I don’t think it’s your riding style.

...loose or worn bearing in the triple/frame, maybe a wheel bearing(s)? Wow that is a weird wear pattern for sure...and simply could be from nothing at all and it just wears that way. :{)

I was thinking maybe a wheel bearing. Will pull off the wheel this week for new tires and check everything.
Before the ride mentioned in the first post, both sides looked the same. Only 100 miles changed the left. Might have been overinflated or hit a soft layer of rubber. I plan on using a Shinko 705 for the next tire, so if it does is again, won't cost me too much.

I was thinking maybe a wheel bearing. Will pull off the wheel this week for new tires and check everything.
Before the ride mentioned in the first post, both sides looked the same. Only 100 miles changed the left. Might have been overinflated or hit a soft layer of rubber. I plan on using a Shinko 705 for the next tire, so if it does is again, won't cost me too much.

Dale, they recently grind any of the curvy roads in your area where you ride: Dont think it is a bike issue-I had same issue on my Honda (2 sets of tires) and my C50 boulevard in the same period in 2015, and the wear pattern would show pretty quick after getting new tires. I commute to work, 60 miles of 76 round trip is Interstate-seems Louisville did some road work on the Watterson Xpressway; they grinded the road which did cause a higher than user crown in the roadways. I couldnt figure out the problem since the C50 was having the same issue (and both only on the front tires) and the C50 is shaft drive so couldnt have been a rear tire alignment issue and the front end was aligned correctly. For grins and giggles, I started using the 2nd far left lane on the Watterson and viola, wear pattern disappeared on both bikes and I didnt change anything on either bike.

I did ride maybe 15 miles on roads I hadn't used before that looked like they had recently been chip sealed.

I have also noticed some squirrelyness the last few rides. Figured it was the worn tires. I do plan to check the suspension, bearings etc.

I’m interested in learning what the cause is. I’m not good at this kind of diagnosis on a m/c. On a car, that’s an alignment problem, or less commonly worn out shocks or bushings. I don’t know for sure what it is on an m/c.

I looked at some online videos and got more confused because most of those were at the track...trying to set air pressure and suspensions. The experts were showing the difference of 1/2 pound.

Weird tire wear is often discussed on all the motorcycle forums.

Front tire cupping or scalloped or uneven wear patterns are often the effect of braking over a the life of the tire.

The tire tread and tread blocks deform under braking forces ........this deformation wear often shows as the blocks wear alternating or every other block. Think of as wear that is the opposite of road or trail wash boards ( whopps) caused from braking or acceleration

Along with braking forces the front tire is subject to the steering forces which causes tread to deform and wear unevenly.

Link to article on motorcycle tire odd wear........( tilted) more towards cruisers and rear tire wear:

Motorcycle Tire Wear

Dozens of examples of weird tire wear on YouTube ..........but very few with conclusive info and cause.

Last edited:
Put the bike up on the center stand (if you have one), and check for slop in either the rear wheel bearings, or the swing arm by pushing/pulling the wheel from side to side.

pulled the wheels, bearings are tight. Can't see anything else wrong. Ordered tires. Will have them mounted and we'll see what happens next.

Back