• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

My wife wants a LOWER + more comfortable seat on her 2016

melensdad

Reaction score
Visit site
Help

My wife is complaining about the seat on her 2016 NC700x

In addition to comfort issues she would like a lower seating position, maybe an 1" lower. She tip-toes her bike when stopped and would like to be a bit lower to the ground. I'd like to avoid lowering the bike so suggestions on a seat with thinner, but still comfortable padding/shape would be great.

Suggestions please?

Why do you want to avoid lowering it? I lowered mine 1 1/2” with Soupy’s adjustable links, (the front forks can be done easily with an Allen wrench). Best thing I have done to it so far. :D

That seat is pretty thin to begin with. Scoop out 1" of foam and she'll be sitting close to the plastic seat pan.

You can slide the forks up some in the clamps to lower the forks and lowering links easily lower the rear to suit. I have my forks lowered 9/16" to sharpen the handling.

What dduelin said.

The rear of the stock seat is pretty thin due to the slope of the frame in that area. You can’t go much thinner there without sitting on the pan.

Seats that might lower the rider are the Seat Concepts low version, and the Corbin. I have tried neither one. The Corbin, I understand, is a hard seat that possibly sits a little bit lower than stock. (Corbin is proud of it’s name and displays it prominently on the side of the seat, something I’m not OK with).

The Shad seat is one I have tried. It looks like stock height or taller but the foam is soft and crushes down with rider weight. It sits a little lower than stock but tends to eventually force you in a low pocket near the frunk, because that’s basically the shape of it’s pan. You might try a Shad as it works well on short rides but ultimately gives out on support near the end of multiple day trips.

Last edited:
Why do you want to avoid lowering it? I lowered mine 1 1/2” with Soupy’s adjustable links, (the front forks can be done easily with an Allen wrench). Best thing I have done to it so far. :D

I didn't want to change the dynamics of the handling of the bike and feared that lowered it would do exactly that.

But if you have an internet link to these Soupy's adjustable lowering links that you could provide I would appreciate it.

Here ya go- NC700X / NC700S Lowering Link Links Kit ( All Years)

If you take careful measurements front and back, and lower them equally, the handling dynamics should be the same as stock. The only thing to be aware of is the lower ground clearance, and lower peg height when cornering. It’s never been a problem for me.

Oh, one thing I forgot was you’ll have to change or alter your side kickstand. Soupy’s does sell an adjustable one, but I took mine off, cut it down exactly the amount I lowered, then welded, sanded, and painted it before re-installing. You can’t even tell it’s been done. It will also make it harder to use the center stand (If you have one). I roll the back tire on to a 2X4 when I use it, and that works for me. Good luck with whatever you do.

Last edited:
My wife wears Joe Rocket Heartbreaker boots with a 2.5" heel - problem solved.

I did lower my rear 1" and have no plans for doing the front. It also helps with the seat slope issue.

Last edited:
Here ya go- NC700X / NC700S Lowering Link Links Kit ( All Years)

If you take careful measurements front and back, and lower them equally, the handling dynamics should be the same as stock. The only thing to be aware of is the lower ground clearance, and lower peg height when cornering. It’s never been a problem for me.

Oh, one thing I forgot was you’ll have to change or alter your side kickstand. Soupy’s does sell an adjustable one, but I took mine off, cut it down exactly the amount I lowered, then welded, sanded, and painted it before re-installing. You can’t even tell it’s been done. It will also make it harder to use the center stand (If you have one). I roll the back tire on to a 2X4 when I use it, and that works for me. Good luck with whatever you do.

Good point about the side stand. Also, if you have a centerstand, it will be much more difficult to get it up on that if you lower the bike more than half an inch.

I have the Seat Concepts low version and am happy with it. Although you end up with a much thinner pad of foam rubber it is also wider across than the standard seat which has sloped sides making the top area narrower. I'm happy with mine. :)

I used the Seat Concepts low and its just fine. Gets rid of the tilt. I also purchased soupy's links and the lower center and kickstand from Web Bike World. Just haven't gotten around to installing. Waiting until I after I run the MABDR or a buy a true dual sport.

The adjustable links and the adjustable kickstand arrived in the mail.

Looks like my wife is going to start the riding season with a lowered bike :)

Back