• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Rider Magazine April 2019 Issue

kpinvt

Site Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Jenny Smith does a cover article on the 2018 NC750X. No link available for the article just yet.

Edit.

The first line of the article reads, "I'm just going to come right out and say it: Honda's NC750X is the best commuter bike out there right now."

The last line is: "And it looks good doing it."

Last edited:
That Road Test by Jenny just about made up my mind for me. I've been lurking here gathering info about these bikes and am seriously considering replacing my 2013 F6B with a new NC750X DCT. I'll be getting with my dealer to see what we can do financially to make it happen. With a recent hip replacement and two "shot knees" at the age of 74, I'm finding an 840 lb bike just a bit much.
I'll be asking my dealer to try to find a 2018 model as I like the red better than the blue.

That Road Test by Jenny just about made up my mind for me. I've been lurking here gathering info about these bikes and am seriously considering replacing my 2013 F6B with a new NC750X DCT. I'll be getting with my dealer to see what we can do financially to make it happen. With a recent hip replacement and two "shot knees" at the age of 74, I'm finding an 840 lb bike just a bit much.
I'll be asking my dealer to try to find a 2018 model as I like the red better than the blue.

Amazing!! I'm 74 and ride a 2013 red f6b and have been watching every video and reading everything about this bike.

What I like:

ease of maintenance

all the technology that makes it safer such as traction control

I like the smaller size to park in tight places

the maneuverability

and of course the lighter weight

However; what I have doubts about is the ability to do 700 to 1000 miles a day on this bike which I need due to time limitations on my vacations. Yes, I'm retired but on limited funds. So I pick my destination and go for it. The other concern is tire wear. On the f6b I get 19,000 miles on the front tire and about 17,000 on the rear tire. So on a long trip I just start out with decent tires and don't have to worry about looking for tires. A lot of these smaller bikes for some reason don't get good tire wear.

Please keep us posted on what the dealer can do for you financially. Also, if you get to test drive it, is the center of gravity really lower than the f6b? I bought the f6b because of it's low center of gravity. The f6b is heavier but lower to the ground than the nc750.

Anyway, it was fun reading your post what with us being so similar in our situations.

Enjoy!!
Tom

Amazing!! I'm 74 and ride a 2013 red f6b and have been watching every video and reading everything about this bike.

What I like:

ease of maintenance

all the technology that makes it safer such as traction control

I like the smaller size to park in tight places

the maneuverability

and of course the lighter weight

However; what I have doubts about is the ability to do 700 to 1000 miles a day on this bike which I need due to time limitations on my vacations. Yes, I'm retired but on limited funds. So I pick my destination and go for it. The other concern is tire wear. On the f6b I get 19,000 miles on the front tire and about 17,000 on the rear tire. So on a long trip I just start out with decent tires and don't have to worry about looking for tires. A lot of these smaller bikes for some reason don't get good tire wear.

Please keep us posted on what the dealer can do for you financially. Also, if you get to test drive it, is the center of gravity really lower than the f6b? I bought the f6b because of it's low center of gravity. The f6b is heavier but lower to the ground than the nc750.

Anyway, it was fun reading your post what with us being so similar in our situations.

Enjoy!!
Tom

The bikes dont have problems doing 700-1000 miles a day. I did a saddle sore 1000 (1054 miles in 17 hours-from Indiana to Florida); stayed a couple of days in Floriday, then rode back to Indiana (shorter route-only 800 miles in 13 hours). Each year, ride from Indiana to the Smokies (KSL meets)-approx 400 miles in about 6 hours, ride around after I get there; we ride for hours at a time each day while there, and ride the 400 miles (usually a different route). OCR and many others on here have ridden to Alaska and back from the lower 48 (and OCR is in Galveston Tx)...

Yes, all you need for long rides on an NC is a windshield that manages the wind for your size, and a seat modification/replacement and your good to go.

Besides countless 400-600 mile days I’ve done two documented Saddlesore 1000+ mile rides and one Bun Burner 1500+ miler on my NCs. All the bike needed was better wind management as provided by a Madstad windshield and winglets. Two of the three were on the stock seat. The bike gets 50 mpg at 80 mph, stable and able. If the rider is up to it the bike performs.

Tires last me about 8,000 miles.

Compared to my Goldwing the distance of the NCs center of gravity from the ground is probably close but it’s the seat height that comes into play. The NC seat is about 3 inches higher. The bike feels 100 lbs lighter than it is but reach to the ground makes it less handy at stops or when pushing it around with feet on the ground. IIRC my bike is about 3/4” taller than stock due to suspension adjustments. Stock bikes or lowered bikes would be more friendly in this regard.

I was first drawn to the NC by style then the economics of long term ownership and reliability.

Thanks so much for the replies. I should have mentioned I never had a smaller bike. Five Harleys and a kawi Nomad and now the f6b. My plan is to go to an Eagle Rider in the spring and see if I can rent one for a couple of days. Then I'll know if it fits.

Thanks again for the great replies!!
Tom

Thanks so much for the replies. I should have mentioned I never had a smaller bike. Five Harleys and a kawi Nomad and now the f6b. My plan is to go to an Eagle Rider in the spring and see if I can rent one for a couple of days. Then I'll know if it fits.

Thanks again for the great replies!!
Tom

Well, whatever you choose to replace those great cruisers you’ve been riding, you’re gonna feel like a kid again after dropping about 300 pounds. :cool:

Meh. I didn’t bother to read the article, so I’m probably unqualified to comment. But, the truth is that we here collectively know far, far more about the NC700/750 than someone writing a magazine article. I alone most likely know far, far more about the NC than anyone writing a magazine article. Thus, I’ve quit reading any news about the NC because it’s typically full of mistakes and misinformation. Even Honda’s official web site specs had errors when first published about the US NC750X. I had to contact American Honda to ask them to fix their own web site mistakes.

Last edited:
Meh. I didn’t bother to read the article, so I’m probably unqualified to comment. But, the truth is that we here collectively know far, far more about the NC700/750 than someone writing a magazine article. I alone most likely know far, far more about the NC than anyone writing a magazine article. Thus, I’ve quit reading any news about the NC because it’s typically full of mistakes and misinformation. Even Honda’s official web site specs had errors when first published about the US NC750X. I had to contact American Honda to ask them to fix their own web site mistakes.

A lot of truth to that. Heck, try even finding one of these bikes in a dealer showroom much less a salesperson who knows anything about ‘em. I feel bad for a newbie who is interested in one and trying to get educated. Hope he or she finds their way here before they give up!

I like Rider Mag and as a subscriber, I read every article and review - and at times, have to wince...

I read the short review today. Here's what I picked up from it.

First thing- it's a 2018 model. Not bad, as I think I prefer that red color over the new 2019's blue that I'm starting to see (only in photos, of course).
Second- it's a non-DCT. I think the DCT is what makes it the best commuter bike, as well as a very unique bike.
Third- Her helmet fit in the frunk but she didn't list the size. It's a Nolan N100-5 modular, but there can be a difference in frunk fit if a helmet is Medium versus a Large, as is the case with my Shoei Neotec 1.0
Fourth- Says the front brake lever is now adjustable. My 2016 has an adjustable brake lever, so it's not a new feature.
Fifth- Says the brakes are linked, which is nice to know because Honda really hides that feature on it's website. Not mentioned in "Specs" but in "Innovations".

All in all, it's a nicely written review, like I've come to expect from Rider, which is the only one of 3 motorcycle magazines that I have kept my subscription to.

I read the short review today. Here's what I picked up from it.

First thing- it's a 2018 model. Not bad, as I think I prefer that red color over the new 2019's blue that I'm starting to see (only in photos, of course).
Second- it's a non-DCT. I think the DCT is what makes it the best commuter bike, as well as a very unique bike.
Third- Her helmet fit in the frunk but she didn't list the size. It's a Nolan N100-5 modular, but there can be a difference in frunk fit if a helmet is Medium versus a Large, as is the case with my Shoei Neotec 1.0
Fourth- Says the front brake lever is now adjustable. My 2016 has an adjustable brake lever, so it's not a new feature.
Fifth- Says the brakes are linked, which is nice to know because Honda really hides that feature on it's website. Not mentioned in "Specs" but in "Innovations".

All in all, it's a nicely written review, like I've come to expect from Rider, which is the only one of 3 motorcycle magazines that I have kept my subscription to.

Regarding your fifth bullet point: Does the article say that the test bike (2018 manual trans) has linked brakes, or that it does not have link brakes but that linked brakes are available on the USA DCT model only?

On the Honda site for the 2018 model NC750X, the innovations page mentions Available Combined ABS. This suggests that combined ABS is available on, or rather included on, the USA DCT model, but not on the manual transmission model. Did the article make that clear, or was it just another piece of misinformation typically found in magazine articles?

Looking at the test bike’s parts listing (2018 US NC750X manual transmission), the rear brake is a simple master cylinder connected to the rear caliper. It is not combined with the front brake.

Last edited:
The 2019 Rider article is just wrong on the brakes, as is apparently Honda's information that can be found online and in print. They haven't been linked or 'combined' on USA market bikes since 2013. The pictures of the test bike and bikes on the Honda US website clearly show a 2 piston Nissin front caliper with a single brake line. Linked brake models have a three piston Nissin caliper with 2 brake hoses leading to it.

The 2019 Rider article is just wrong on the brakes, as is apparently Honda's information that can be found online and in print. They haven't been linked on USA market bikes since 2013. The pictures of the test bike and bikes on the Honda US website clearly show a 2 piston Nissin front caliper with a single brake line. Linked brake models have a three piston Nissin caliper with 2 brake hoses leading to it.

Dave,
I totally agree with your points regarding the 3 pot front caliper and that style of brake linking disappearing after 2013. Is there any possibility that a newer linking system is used that uses the ABS unit for some type of combining or linking? I don’t own, nor have I inspected a newer DCT model to see how the newer ABS brakes are plumbed, so that’s why I ask the question.

But if the mentioned article states that the US model manual transmission test bike has linked or combined brakes, that is clearly a false statement.

Last edited:
Dave,
I totally agree with your points regarding the 3 pot front caliper and that style of brake linking disappearing after 2013. Is there any possibility that a newer linking system is used that uses the ABS unit for some type of combining or linking? I don’t own, nor have I inspected a newer DCT model to see how the newer ABS brakes are plumbed, so that’s why I ask the question.

But if the mentioned article states that the US model manual transmission test bike has linked or combined brakes, that is clearly a false statement.
I don't think so. The part numbers for the modulators is the same but the model code is different. I checked a 2015 NC700X against a 2018 NC750X so the model code would be different but not the part number.

The easy thing to do is lift the front wheel clear of the ground, turn the key ON, press the rear brake and see if any brake pressure is applied to the front wheel. This action doesn't brake the front wheel on my 2015 which also has 'Combined Anti-Lock brakes' on Honda US Powersports site. Someone go out and check their NC750X in US spec.

Perhaps Honda uses 'combined ABS' to denote a two channel ABS system that controls anti-lock braking pressure individually to each wheel circuit instead of older single channel ABS systems that modulated both wheel circuits together. It's worth noting that Honda doesn't use the word 'linked', only 'combined'. The magazine uses linked and combined in the same sentence. ".....[DCT bikes have] combined ABS, which applies front brake when the rear is applied as well as preventing lock-up." When I get hard on the rear brake to trigger ABS the front lever doesn't vibrate. If I overbrake the front lever to trigger ABS the front lever vibrates but I can't recall the rear brake pedal vibrating. This separation of activation by wheel would indicate the brakes are modulated in two separate circuits.

I went back and looked up the information that Honda released on the New Concept (NC700X, NC700S, Integra) bikes back in 2012. It appeared on the global corporate website. I printed all of it for a notebook I've put together since 2012. The brake section described "Combined ABS*1" as a front/rear wheel linked braking system that has been integrated with an anti-lock brake system (ABS). I included images of the details.

I believe that much or all of common information on the NC bikes was supplied to journalists in a press packet at the global release of the bike in November 2011 because the next few months saw many ride reviews of the bike that had nearly word-for-word descriptions of the various system (overall description, engine, transmission, chassis, brakes, wheels) design briefs combined with Honda's solutions. Many details were repeated many times in many outlets. We know that Honda deleted the linked brake system on US spec bikes on 2014 and later 700 and 750 models but I think Rider either goes back to their original 2012 article or Honda still supplies information details with test bikes to aid the journalist's review that no longer apply to US models. The writer wouldn't necessarily know the misinformation at the time.

I still like reading magazine reviews of bikes I own or have owned, if only for bias confirmation.

IMG_2858.jpg

IMG_2857.JPG

Last edited:
Back