• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Auxiliary Light Location Help....please

WestcoastKid

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm purchasing a couple 2", 10watt LED lights to enhance daytime conspicuousness and nighttime visibility.

I've come up with two possible mounting locations without needing to buy a light bar or engine guards.

Option #1- Mounting the lights to the bolts holding the front fender. This seems to be a common choice for some.

Option #2- Mounting the lights to the frame (apx. 6" behind the radiator) using brackets I found on Amazon.

The biggest difference between the two locations is one enables the light to tracks the movement of the handle bars (option #1) while the other is "fixed", but allows for a wider dispersion of light (ie. lights mounted further apart and a little higher).

Hoping to get some feedback from anyone who's "been there, done that" and can help me decide what works best.

Thanks!!!

I can only offer a comment about the advantage of having the lights track with the handlebars, or lack thereof. At anything over parking lot speeds, I turn the bars so little that the lights would pretty much be pointed straight anyway. I can’t see any advantage to mounting the lights so they track bar movement, especially if the have a fairly wide beam pattern. In “normal” riding, handlebar movement is negligible. In corners at cruising speed, you apply pressure to the bars to initiate the lean, then straighten them to allow the lean to continue in equilibrium until the turn is completed.

Last edited:
I mounted mine on the fender mount, the ease and simplicity and the larger the triangle the more it's supposed to help with being visible to others.
Because the lights are mounted to the forks they do move with the handle bars and it's true, other then being able to point them where you want when at a complete stop, not much benefit.

If I find a set of auxiliary lights I like better, I'll put yellow lenses on my current set and wire them up to always be on. I'd mount the new ones below the headlight with a simple piece of flat steal (flat bar) someone posted pics of that before and it was the simplest set up I've seen
3a0b3cb9edb771bc60a3af0b6ecae303.jpg

Where'd you get them?
Xprite 10 Watt 2-inch CREE High Power Off-Road LED Spot Light for Motorcycle Off-road Vehicles Pickup Truck UTV ATV - 2 PACK https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SNX6E60/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_VPfACbZEQH03M

Core Tools CT126-LS-B Black Push Button Waterproof Switch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AWR6NCY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_YSfACb9DV6HJ2

The bolts, washers and wire I picked up at the local hardware store. I already had the accessory harness (OEM heated grips)

As a precaution I dismantled the lights and put a light coating of silicone between any openings, it's supposed to be water proof or resistant already but for an extra $3 I paid for a tube of silicone it's cheap insurance, which worked because I've ridden hours in the rain above freeway speeds and they're still working 2 years later

Last edited:
I got a piece of flat metal and ground it down with a bench grinder to fit for the switch
9784523fd53556ff43ced74a5b4ce3f0.jpg

I removed the forward mounting bolt on each side of the fender, removed the swivel mounts from the lights, installed a plastic washers, bolted the swivel mount and then the lights to the swivel mount. I hope that makes sense. (I painted the swivel mount before installing)
17835ca213049188fe17fe7015182a64.jpg

4ed030103b966d2c5fd80b959002c248.jpg

Last edited:
My setup is similiar to Rippin's:

Xprite 2" Inch 10-Watt Cree High Power LED Off-Road Spot Light (2-Pack)
bikelights.jpg

And a separate toggle switch (dont run them all the time):
LYLLA Universal Motorcycle Tuning Part Handle Switch Button for U5 U7 U2 LED

whole setup cost $25.
I have had them on the bike for 7 months-no issue with rain or cold.

Bought the lights and toggle switch from Amazon.

About the pictures, are you using Tapatalk or the website itself?

I am using the website. I haven't had problems in the past uploading and I am using the same computer every time. It would cycle through to 100% then give me a message that the upload failed. I tried multiple times and 2 different pictures.

I don't care for anything that adds unsprung weight, so any such item must have _significant_ advantage to me or add essentially zero unsprung weight. I added a FendaExtenda to keep the rad clean(er) and because it weighs very nearly nothing. I wouldn't put lights on the fork sliders.

Back