• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Who has worn out & replaces their brake rotors?

MZ5

Reaction score
Visit site
I’m about to put my third set of pads on (OE plus two replacements, including the ones I’m about to put on). I have 48k miles on the bike, having essentially not ridden for most of the past 2 or more years.

I haven’t measured the thickness of my rotors. If I take the bike tomorrow, and if I remember, I’ll grab a mic during lunch and measure the thickness. I only have calipers at home.

How many of you have had to replace rotors? How many miles did you get out of the factory rotors? What made you replace them? Minimum thickness? Grooved and you couldn’t get them resurfaced?

Did you buy new Honda rotors? If not, whose did you buy?

Curious. Thanks.

I'm at 78,000 miles and still using the original rotors. I've used 2 or 3 sets of sintered and one set of semi sintered after the stock set were worn out. At least one of those sintered brake pads sets still had plenty of life when they got changed out.

Miles aren't a great measurement. Where you ride, when you ride and how you ride will make a huge difference, the only way to tell for sure is to measure the thickness of the rotor, the manual has a minimum thickness that's safe to use

Edit the semi sintered didn't last long and one of the sets of sintered got covered in the oil from my forks when my forks had a leak.
2 sets of sintered and OEM set I wore down, the rest got changed with plenty of miles left

Last edited:
The only rotors I wore out on a motorcycle were on a BMW. I've never worn one out on a Honda. My ST1300 has about 195,000 miles on original rotors. Always OEM Honda pads.

Brakes get used in vastly different ways of course. I've ridden just over 30,000 miles on two NCs and haven't replaced brake pads yet.

I had a 83 Gold wing that had aftermarket pads that ate the rotors. They dished ( no longer flat) and there is never enough material to refinish and still be over the minimum thickness. The Goldwing symptom was soft brake ( not firm).

Generally speaking the stock Honda pads are gentle on rotor wear.

Last edited:
I haven't worn out an NC rotor and I doubt that I ever will. My 38,600 mile front pads could almost pass for new. But I'm posting because I did replace a front rotor once. I apparently bent it slightly while changing a tire, and it was pulsing slightly. I could feel a slight ridge in one spot but couldn't measure the runout with a dial indicator. I looked at the aftermarket NC disks, but I didn't have full confidence in them. I gambled on a used OEM disk from eBay and it worked great and fixed my problem. So, if I did need a disk because it was worn out, I'd look at eBay take offs, find a reputable seller that accepts returns, and try my luck again.

I don't think most motorcycle disks have enough material to turn them down before reaching minimum thickness, so replacement is likely your only solution.

The OEM 2012 NC700X disk from Honda is pricey, but you probably could already guess that:

45251-MGS-D31
DISK, FR. BRAKE (SUNSTAR)

MSRP: $413.15
Dealer Price: $330.52

Last edited:
I have over 60K on the bike and only changed the front pads once. Rotors are fine. Brakes still grab like the day I bought it. I have only used OEM pads.

49000 miles on mine, just installed third set of front pads. Rotor is near minimum thickness now and will be replaced soon.
Mostly 2 up riding, on road only.

Last edited:
Thanks, guys. Some of you know I basically parked the NC for a year or two. Even tried to sell it, but now I'm back on it and will be riding more again. I didn't get to mic the rotors the other day, but I plan to be back in the office tomorrow and I'll ride in. Or, if the plan goes amiss again, I'll just throw the new pads on and forget about it. (-:

Thanks, guys. Some of you know I basically parked the NC for a year or two. Even tried to sell it, but now I'm back on it and will be riding more again. I didn't get to mic the rotors the other day, but I plan to be back in the office tomorrow and I'll ride in. Or, if the plan goes amiss again, I'll just throw the new pads on and forget about it. (-:

Pads are quick, easy and inexpensive (comparatively speaking). I am barely a tinkerer when it comes to maintenance, but I have replaced my pads.

Apologies to resurrect an old thread ...but I'm probably in need of replacing my rotors at some point in the next few months, as there's certainly a pronounced 'T' to the lip of the rotors on my 2012 NC700X.

Front & Rear Wheel Disc Brake Rotor For HONDA NC750 NC700 CTX700/S/X/D/N 2012-18 | eBay

A pair for not much more than £50 - sounds like a bargain - but am I making a mistake buying cheap here? Does anyone have recommendations of quality replacements at a good price?

Apologies to resurrect an old thread ...but I'm probably in need of replacing my rotors at some point in the next few months, as there's certainly a pronounced 'T' to the lip of the rotors on my 2012 NC700X.

Front & Rear Wheel Disc Brake Rotor For HONDA NC750 NC700 CTX700/S/X/D/N 2012-18 | eBay

A pair for not much more than £50 - sounds like a bargain - but am I making a mistake buying cheap here? Does anyone have recommendations of quality replacements at a good price?

I’m curious what your rotor thickness is at this point, and how close it is to minimum spec.

My fear with aftermarket low cost rotors is, will they warp when they get used hard? Then again, I put Chinese made rotors on my cars an$ trucks, and they seem to work fine. However, the motorcycle disk is thinner than the automotive ones, and warpage would be more noticeable on a bike.

I’m curious what your rotor thickness is at this point, and how close it is to minimum spec.

Actually, not sure on the thickness; just the comment made by the mechanic who replaced my tyre on the weekend. I'll borrow some calipers from a friend and measure them ... that's probably what I should have done first really ;-)

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

Actually, not sure on the thickness; just the comment made by the mechanic who replaced my tyre on the weekend. I'll borrow some calipers from a friend and measure them ... that's probably what I should have done first really ;-)

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk
I've never replaced the rotor on a motorcycle but I've replaced plenty on cars and truck and in my experience it's one of the parts I've figured out you're better off going OEM, it didn't matter what brand of vehicle or what brand of aftermarket it ended up better going with OEM for rotors

If it were me, there is no reason for me to look at any other option over stock, even for doing trackdays. Stock is sufficient for anything performance wise, but also you know it will be good quality. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

One of the guys from my gymkhana club got some cheap Chinese rotors. They squeal a lot which makes me question the metal. My rear rotor is getting worn so I may experiment some less expensive than stock, aftermarket rotors in the future. I will recheck next time my rear pads need replacement.

Back