• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Road tires for NC 700X

Fred Harper

Reaction score
Visit site
Pardon if this has been asked. I'm wondering what tires folks prefer for road only use with lots of interstate hiways. I always liked the PR4s on my BMW but figure I'll ask.

Check out the threads in the tire talk forum: https://www.nc700-forum.com/forum/tire-tech-talk/ Some have requests similar to yours.

I predict you'll get good advice on about 10 to 20 different tires, and then you'll still be faced with making the decision on your own. That's the way these threads go.

It would help if you listed tire features that are importaant to you. Long life? Excellent traction regardless of life? Good in the rain? Soft sidewalls so they're easy to mount? Good feedback? Quick turn in? What do you like?

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of the Road5, although I haven't tried it on the NC yet. Didn't get great life on the SV though, 5k for the rear.

I've been on a set of Michelin Road5 tires for about 14k miles, they're in far better condition than the stock Dunlops. The rear has a bit of a flat spot, but the tread is still in good condition and I feel planted most of the time. I'm hoping wring 30k miles out of them.

I don't have enough experience to comment extensively on cold weather and it's effect on tires, but no tire I've tried feels good below 40. That's when I stop feeling planted. Not enough to get nervous, but it's a good reminder to be smooth and gradual with inputs. I've done thousands of rain miles and two-up miles, and I've never been dissatisfied with the performance. I've even done a couple dozen or so miles of gravel and fire-roads. Most of my riding has been on freeways and highways.

I also think am the kind of person who Honda designed the engine for- I accelerate like a grandpa. I'm probably comparatively gentle on my rear tire, but who knows. It took me over a year to bump against the redline. This grandpa doesn't mind speed tho

Anyway, here's a shot of my rear tire to show the mild flatness. The futz on the tire is all from my garage, I didn't feel like brushing it off for the photo :rolleyes:
Shared album - Catte Whiskers - Google Photos

I ran the PR4's until this last fitting. I replaces the front with a PR5, and when my rear goes (probably this year) it will also be the PR5. They stopped making the PR4 in the NC size, or I would stick with the PR4.

My preference runs to Bridgestone tires and on the NC choose T30 Evo or the new T31. The T30 Evos are getting harder to find in the rear tire size. I prioritize handling all seasons over long wear.

I am a firm fan of Michelin PR4 and Road5. I have Road 5 Trails on my Suzuki VStrom and a combination of 4 rear and 5 front on my X-Adv. I am also a big fan of Dunlop Trail Smarts having used them to good affect on my former Triumph 1200 Explorer. However the Michelins shade the Dunlops slightly and imho are the best tyres for grip wet or dry that I have ever had on a motorcycle. I prefer 5's to 4's because of quicker turn in on the front and that is why I have the combination on the X, the 5 not yet being available in the rear wheel size of the scoot.

I used PR4's to good affect on my former NC700X. Mileage is similar to most other soft tread grippy tyres.

I guess I need to look into how the Road 5 Trail compares to the Road 5 in the same size. It says it's for larger adventure bikes, so maybe it's a stiffer carcass. $50 more too.

Michelin PR5’s. Put them on about 6k miles ago. Have had them on all manner of roads (paved) and conditions via several trips. Love ‘em

For a 90/10 tire, what’s the current thinking? I’ve been using PR4s and love them on pavement, especially wet. Very confidence inspiring.

Not interested in the Shinko’s. A lot of what I’ve read led me to tired that done come in 17” for the NC’s front tire.

Appreciate the tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tires that I've considered other than Shinko:
Pirelli MT60RS Adventure (the non-adv version are really soft, can't find much about the adv)
Avon AV54 TrailRider
Conti TKC70
Pirelli Scorpion Trail II

Back