• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Rust spots on fork tubes

Easy fix for rust stains and tiny rust pits on chrome or stainless steel is rubbing with WD40 and a bit of fine or extra fine (000 or 0000) bronze wool or an extra fine furniture finishing pad. The tubes will clean up well without much effort but if the rust has pitted the chrome the rust will return in time - there is no way to replace the chromed finish that is gone where pits break through the chrome.

I would recommend not using anything more abrasive than this. It's not necessary and will scratch the finish.

Last edited:
I have the same issue on my 2013. Recommendations to keep them from coming back?

I’m concerned that they will eventually cause the gas to leak out of lower receivers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
As dduelin pointed out that is usually because of pitting (from road debris hitting your forks) clean in up and put a set of fork covers on "gators" or fork socks.

P.s. If you do develop a fork seal leak dduelin has a good step by step how to change your fork seals

I have the same issue on my 2013. Recommendations to keep them from coming back?

I’m concerned that they will eventually cause the gas to leak out of lower receivers.

Fork tube nicks or rust might lead to oil leaks, but don’t worry about gas. The only gas in the front forks is plain old air. If you’ve never changed your fork oil yet, it could be Japanese air.

This can happen to any bike regardless of make. As a prevention I regularly clean off the steel stanchions of my forks, especially after a wet ride, and apply a very fine layer of light lube using a fresh rag.

No one has made them disappear. That's what I'd really like. Polish, steel wool still leave a tiny dot on the tube.

If you take a magnifying glass and look at the dot you'll see a little crater where the chrome and a portion of the steel tube that was under the chrome has disappeared into nothingness. It's not coming back as it has returned to it's base elements.

However, #5 on this page will make them disappear at least until the process repeats itself:

2015 Honda NC700XD A FRONT FORK | CyclePartsNation

Someone posted the idea of running a pair of panty hoes up and down the forks looking for burrs (the likely cause of future leaks) lightly sand those down and polish or steal wool rust spots and you should be good

Has anyone tried having their fork tubes re-chromed? If yes, what was the result -

The tubes on my 2017 750SA have multiple rust 'specks'

Acf50 will prevent corrosion in most circumstances. Works exceptionally well.

Back