• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Removing fuses

Harvey

Reaction score
Visit site
Today for the first time ever, my bike wouldn't start. Lights came on, everything sounded and looked OK, until I pressed the start switch, and was met with a stony silence.

I checked a few things and thought I would check the fuses before anything else. This is where I got stuck and would appreciate your help.

I could not open the fuse box, nor the main (master?) fuse.

So I thought I'd come to you all to ask "how do you open the fuse box?"

Eventually the bike did start, though I did find a dead fuse in the SAE connector. That one I can replace. Not sure why this might have stopped the bike from starting though.

Thanks all.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

By ‘SAE connector’ are you referring to a connection for a battery tender?
If so, that fuse means nothing for starting the bike. Although it may be a clue that by moving things around the battery allowed the bike to start. You may have a loose battery connection. Check and clean your connections to the battery. Typically a loose connection will allow enough power to light the instrument cluster and such, but not enough to activate the starter.

JT

By ‘SAE connector’ are you referring to a connection for a battery tender?
If so, that fuse means nothing for starting the bike. Although it may be a clue that by moving things around the battery allowed the bike to start. You may have a loose battery connection. Check and clean your connections to the battery. Typically a loose connection will allow enough power to light the instrument cluster and such, but not enough to activate the starter.

JT
Thanks Jt105. Yes, that is the connection I was referring to.

Any suggestions on getting the normal fuses out?

If the main fuse was fried, absolutely NOTHING would come on. Did you look in the owner's manual for directions on removing the fuse lid?

I agree with jt105 about checking the battery connections because sometimes just a tiny bit loose is enough to make the starter not work although everything else would work properly. It would be a good idea to disconnect the cables, clean the terminals and cable ends, grease with dielectric grease then reconnect.

Last edited:
I bet your problem is battery or kill switch or side stand switch related.

Initially check the battery status and that the battery terminals are firmly connected.

I do remember opening the fuse box when I got the bike to make sure I had the correct style of fuses for spares in my tool kit. I remember that it wasn’t to difficult to take the cover off, but had to take care to put the cover back on.
I usually use a small pair of needle-nosed pliers that have teeth at the end. They work wonders for pulling and inserting fuses. The little plastic fuse puller that comes with a pack of spares will work, but I find that pliers work better.

JT

Thanks Jt105. Yes, that is the connection I was referring to.

The so-called tool kit which came with the bike has a fuse puller in it. It does work and works very good. The first fuse I would inspect is the bottom left 15amp fuse. To get the cover off, I just use a flat head screwdriver and insert at the top of the lid, pry down a little, pull back and the cover comes off.

Did you need to remove the battery to get the lid off the fuse box? I didn't see anything in the owner's manual to show how to remove the lid. The illustrations about the main fuse didn't help me much either. I don't think that's the fault of the manual though.

Everything is working OK today, but will clean the battery terminals as suggested.

Back