• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Tool tube installation

muffintop

Reaction score
Visit site
Could someone please share their favorite toolbox/tooltube install location on the nc700x? Did you have to engineer any mounting brackets?
I have a Givi top case, and a Givi engine guard. I cannot find a good spot to install, I am looking for ideas.

I bought a dryspec tool tube last Christmas. I am embarrassed to say that it is still sitting in the garage.

DrySpec Motorcycle Tool Tube Kit | TwistedThrottle.com

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The best thing about the NC's is carrying heavy tools low, secure and centered at the bottom of the frunk.

Tool tubes work great on the bottom of KLR's mounted on the bash plate. The NC not so much. Are you going to also mount after market saddle bags? The frame work for those are excellent mountings. I have the Honda bags and don't see a good location due to the tight fit. If you mounted bash plate it might work but I would be concerned about wheel clearance.

The best thing about the NC's is carrying heavy tools low, secure and centered at the bottom of the frunk.

Tool tubes work great on the bottom of KLR's mounted on the bash plate. The NC not so much. Are you going to also mount after market saddle bags? The frame work for those are excellent mountings. I have the Honda bags and don't see a good location due to the tight fit. If you mounted bash plate it might work but I would be concerned about wheel clearance.

I've got the Honda bags and my plan was to mount between the frame and bags, as per videos of other bikes - but yup, no space on the NC there with Honda equipment. Mulling over attaching to the left pannier, underneath - clearances should be fine as it should mirror the position of the exhaust on the other side, but ideally I'd prefer not to be drilling into the bottom of the plastic box.

Hmm.

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

lots of creative places to place things on the NC's.. Although my tools are in a pouch in the Frunk, the MSR fuel bottle holders also fit my tool tube(s). :{)

MSR bottles installed.jpg

MSR bottles installed2.jpg

Last edited:
My tool roll sits in the bottom of my Frunk along with a couple of strategic spares/supplies and my tire pump.

I had a Tool tube on my 2012 and fits great if you also get the GIVI sidecase mounts. It mounts facing the tire and will not hit the tire. I will be installing again on my 2014 same setup

Rupturee, Where did you find these fuel bottle holders? Any particular manufacturer? What size bottles do you have there? Thanks!

Most of those alum fuel bottles can be found at camping/fishing stores since the original intent was to store white gas for lanterns, Coleman stoves, etc.

lots of creative places to place things on the NC's.. Although my tools are in a pouch in the Frunk, the MSR fuel bottle holders also fit my tool tube(s). :{)

View attachment 37685

View attachment 37686
Looks great! Thanks for sharing pictures. Did you get velcro straps and do this mount yourself? Does the velcro hold up on bumpy roads?

I am thinking I will mount tooltube on one side and a fuel bottle on the other.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hey Muff, when i purchased the bottles from another NC owner over in Spokane Wa, he already had the ballistic nylon and velcro type mounts/holders, so they came with them. I have checked and there are no tags or stickers on them to tell who made them or where he originally purchased them. :{)

I mounted mine inboard of the racks for the Givi side boxes so they are nearly invisible with the boxes in place. For a while I used one to carry a fuel canister then got over my paranoia of the smallish fuel tank so the canister is no longer with me on rides.

10 - tool tube mounted.jpg

Eureka!

Motorcycle Tool Tubes / Gloves Put Box / Waterproof Raincoat Without locker 7177064575577 | eBay

Figured it out; bought one of these tool tubes, but with the Honda luggage there's no way to fit it within the bike - as others in this thread have done with their Givi luggage racks. However, with a heat gun, you can melt and bend the plastic. Now all I need is to drill four holes, get four nuts bolts and washers and - with a bit of silicone to ensure water tightness - I'll be able to mount this to the bottom of the left pannier tomorrow. It's still higher on the bike than the exhaust, so I don't think I'll be giving myself any headaches with leaning into corners.

ToolTubeRemodel-01.jpg

Last edited:
Done!

All done; 20mm M6 bolts with nylon locking nuts and washers. The side pannier still opens okay and it's nice and secure:

ToolTubeRemodel-02.jpg

The bike now looks like this from the side and from the back - I mounted it far back like this so as to ensure that my wife as pillion still has somewhere to put her foot and leg:

ToolTubeRemodel-03.jpg

Only downside; you can't take the pannier off and rest it on its base so readily now (somewhat more of a rounded bottom and all!). I'm going to think about that; perhaps I can fashion a couple of L brackets to mount to the bottom - which can allow extra items to be tied to the side of the tool tube and give a flat surface to be able to stand the pannier when off the bike.

Last edited:
Back