• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question about left side panel fasteners on '12 NC700X

jwnsc

Reaction score
Visit site
For all you plastic removal experts-

I took off the left side panel and left side air duct panel to add a battery charger pigtail.

As I took off the panel a 5mm metal nut clip fell to the floor.

Also, the 5mm Phillips head screw from the upper left front attachment point under the forks
now appears to be too small since it is not holding when I attempt to screw it in.

Am I correct in thinking the clip is used with the screw or,
do I have the wrong screw left over and the clip is used somewhere else?

I've looked at the service manual diagrams, the diagrams when ordering parts, and a
video of the plastics removal without any enlightenment.

I've attached a photo of the hardware in question and the front attachment point:

NC700 hardware.jpg
FL attach.jpg

it looks like you are talking about the attachment at the front of the bike above the radiator, if I seeing that correctly in your pic. That clip would be #10 on the parts fiche. Of course they dont include which screw goes in there on that screen! But it is a phillips (or more correctly - JIS). As I recall it is the longer 5x14, not the 5x11. Way too early and cold to go out to the garage and confirm. It is easy to use the longer one in the wrong place when reassembling and then be left with the wrong shorter one for that location. DAMHIK.

I'd like to take a moment to express my gratitude to Honda for using so many different types of fasteners to keep our minds engaged as we remove all the panels that make our bikes look so good in order to do any work on the engine and electrical system. I sleep easy knowing that they had sound engineering reasons for those decisions, regardless of how tedious it makes dis-assembly and re-assembly.

I have done that exact thing, use the long screw where the short one goes.
I guess you could spin it from being a problem to a reminder to keep your mind engaged.

Mine is missing a couple fasteners. I picked up a kit of all the fasteners from a bike someone disassembled, paid $25 for it. Of course, there's still the issue of figuring out exactly what goes exactly where.

Of course I know the experienced and smart mechanic will devise a system to mark and keep the fasteners organized for re-assembly.

Unfortunately at this point I am merely a stubborn mechanic. So far my egg carton organizer has not proven to be fool-proof. Proving only that nothing is fool-proof to the sufficiently determined fool.

Many thanks to all for your replies.

Today, my package of 25 GM Wheel Opening Retainer push clips from Amazon will be arriving so I can return to the bike tomorrow and once again remove the left side panel with a ready supply of plastic push clips to replace all the OEM clips I will destroy in the process of removing them. I will bring my magnetic grid board and grease pencil to chronologically place the fasteners on as I remove them while in search for the misplaced screw. I guess I should also snap a photo with my cell phone of the precise location of each fasterner while holding up a number that corresponds to the grid board. BTW, this is a little off-topic, but does anyone know if the Honda CB500X uses the same plastic clips? ;-)

Many thanks to all for your replies.

Today, my package of 25 GM Wheel Opening Retainer push clips from Amazon will be arriving so I can return to the bike tomorrow and once again remove the left side panel with a ready supply of plastic push clips to replace all the OEM clips I will destroy in the process of removing them. I will bring my magnetic grid board and grease pencil to chronologically place the fasteners on as I remove them while in search for the misplaced screw. I guess I should also snap a photo with my cell phone of the precise location of each fasterner while holding up a number that corresponds to the grid board. BTW, this is a little off-topic, but does anyone know if the Honda CB500X uses the same plastic clips? ;-)

I’m puzzled about the reported problems with the Honda 90683-GAZ-003 plastic trim clips. I have two NC700Xs and have fully stripped them down multiple times, never losing or breaking a single Honda trim clip. The owner’s manual describes how to operate them, and a bit of practice makes them very easy to use. That being said, I have no experience with the GM clips you mentioned to know whether one style (GM) is better than the other (Honda).

As already mentioned, you can check on line parts illustrations to see if the CB500X uses the same fasteners. From my quick browsing, it appeared they did not, but I didn’t put much time into it.

A0FFAE7C-0F97-485C-812A-313E03BD6FFA.jpg

Last edited:
Greg, even properly removed and inserted, a couple don't seem to hold as tightly when reused and one broke apart.
What I really object to was the $2.56 replacement cost for each clip!

Greg, even properly removed and inserted, a couple don't seem to hold as tightly when reused and one broke apart.
What I really object to was the $2.56 replacement cost for each clip!

I agree that the Honda clips are overpriced. Let us know if the alternate fasteners work better!

Last edited:
I agree that the Honda clips are overpriced. Let us know if the alternate fasteners work better!

Ok, everything is back together and in the right place. The mystery nut clip did attach at the front with the Phillips head screw. Thanks to Ackme for the nut clip info and Agent for his videos.

As far as the 1/4" Wheel Opening Retainers GM 21077123 by Clipsandfasteners, Inc., I got from Amazon (see pic, below) they worked fine with two caveats. First, they are a little longer than the OEM clips, so there might be a location they wouldn't work. Second, I wouldn't want to use them in a hard-to-reach place since to remove them you might have to pry the pusher up with a flat blade screwdriver if a pair of needle nose pliers couldn't grab it. Clips.jpg

Back