• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Is K&N air filter really worth $63?

Afan

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's time to replace my air filter (finally after 20K miles).
But the prices are so different so wonder what's am I missing.

While on THIS online store it's only $18 (free shipping), on Partzilla is $35 + shipping.

But K&N air filters are $63 (knfilters online store, or on Amazon or eBay). Are they really so good and worth paying $63?!?

Where (and what) are you buying air filters for your NenCy? ;)

Unfortunately, air filter threads are nearly as bad as oil threads, and here I am contributing to what will likely end in controversial thread. I apologize in advance.

Do not use racing filters as there is no need for more air flow on the NC, and the racing filter will likely trap less dirt. The NC700X air filter is quite large relative to the engine size. Adequate air flow is not a problem.

I buy genuine OEM Honda filters from the online part seller with the lowest price. Since I ride in fairly dust free areas, I have no problem going at least 24,000 miles between air filter changes.

If I had a K&N air filter for the NC700X, I would give it to you for free.

I stopped using K&N filters after my experience with my Goldwing. The properly oiled filter pictured below had 35,000 miles on it. It was hardly dirty at all, presumably because it allowed most of the dirt to pass through the engine, instead of trapping it. The pores of the K&N filter are so large that I held my iPhone camera up to the dirty filter, and took a pretty reasonable photo of my garage window THROUGH the used air filter. This suggested to me that the K&N filter is so open that it would fail to trap dirt and protect the engine. I tossed the K&N in the trash and I will never use another one. It's my belief, based on my observations, that K&N oiled air filters do not adequately filter dirt to keep it out of the engine.

Dirty filter
836C371A-D3E5-4088-A83B-FF90BCDE4C10.jpg

Photo taken looking through the dirty filter.
3F3F995A-0824-449A-AD3C-3EB0C88361D9.jpg

Stock OEM every 24,000 miles. I had a bad experience with a K & N in my ST1300 and won’t ever use one again.

IMO on a utilitarian bike you're better off using a stock type filter.

If a stock filter is $19 and a K&N is $63, you're looking at in excess of 3 stock filters for one K&N. If they last 24k, that's 72k on top of what you have now. And that's not even considering the time it takes to clean.

The OEM is designed for the bike by Honda to ensure minimal engine damage combined with correct carburation. What more could one ask for ?

Thanks guys for the help. I really appreciate it.
Never thought about the K&N as bad air filters?!? I use their oil filters, so I thought they are reliable... So, they are ff the table.
Also, didn't know anything abut the "racing" filters too. What helped me to throw the first option, for $18 because of this "This racing air filter has just two layers of cotton to provide even lower air restriction than our replacement air filter for street vehicles..." ;)

So, Partzilla it is... :D

Thanks again.

Unfortunately, air filter threads are nearly as bad as oil threads...
You know, I was thinking for a while is it possible to make something like FAQs? Or something like "What air filter you use" poll? I don't need to ask what filter if 80% responds Honda OEM Air Filter ;)

The OEM is designed for the bike by Honda to ensure minimal engine damage combined with correct carburation. What more could one ask for ?

No, Honda doesn't design, or make, filters. Details of the engine to determine maximum required air flow, and air box dimensions so the filter fits are given to one of their air filter suppliers to come up with appropriate filter. Vehicle mfg's. are no longer vertically integrated. Oh, and just about all motor vehicles are fuel injected. Correct air/fuel ratio is determined by a computer and sensors.

No, Honda doesn't design, or make, filters. Details of the engine to determine maximum required air flow, and air box dimensions so the filter fits are given to one of their air filter suppliers to come up with appropriate filter. Vehicle mfg's. are no longer vertically integrated. Oh, and just about all motor vehicles are fuel injected. Correct air/fuel ratio is determined by a computer and sensors.

I think the content of my suggestion is clear enough without being minutely picked apart. I would also venture to suggest that EFI is not foolproof and indeed will not function correctly if the correct airflow of the filter does not assist.

Accordingly I will adjust my suggestion to say that Honda have approved a suitable filter for their product to ensure proper airflow to the EFI system and minimal engine damage. That ok ?

I have logged every mile and every gallon of gasoline my NCX has covered (closing on 50k miles). The K&N measurably negatively impacted fuel economy over a long period of time. Going back to stock restored mpg. It doesn't matter what theory anyone advances, the observed fact is that air filter differences _can_ and sometimes _do_ impact MPG. Accordingly, they _can_ impact performance.

If I still have that K&N, you're welcome to it for $25 shipped to the Lower 48 States.

Back