• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Spilled fuel

New Commuter700

Site Supporter
Reaction score
nc700xcommuter.com
I seem to have a problem with spilling a few drops of fuel on my seat when I fuel up. I have gotten to the point where I grab a couple of paper towels, shake the nozzle when I pull it out and carefully tip it back as I remove it from the tank. But today I did all that and spilled more on my seat than usual. Maybe I wasn't paying as much attention seeing as how this was my 46th fuel up but I never had this big of a problem fueling a standard tank, which I usually did while sitting on the bike.

Anyone have any tips about what I'm doing wrong? It may be only a few drops but I don't like getting it on the seat and with the mileage this bike gets even a few drops can actually affect the overall mileage.

Maybe have your prostate checked?[emoji16]

Sorry - couldn’t resist. The ball was just hanging over the plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I seem to have a problem with spilling a few drops of fuel on my seat when I fuel up.
Anyone have any tips about what I'm doing wrong? It may be only a few drops but I don't like getting it on the seat and with the mileage this bike gets even a few drops can actually affect the overall mileage.

Waaaaaay over thinking this.........
Check the math..........one ounce spilled ( which is way more than a few drops) especially when it on the seat is .008 of a gallon.
So the difference in 3 gallon fill up on 70 mpg is 69.88.

Just think of how much gas was left in the hose on the pump........especially if the last guy tipped the hose up to get every last drop that he paid for...........and you were the next guy in line ?

I just tip the nozzle up, let it drip, then swing away quick before the next drop falls.
I also only fill on the side stand, from the left side. Easier to tip the nozzle far enough that way.

Don’t hold the filler nozzle over the seat.

When you are done filling, lift the nozzle, let it drip in the tank. Then turn it up and move it to the side of the bike over the hand rail. If it is never over the seat, it cannot drip on it.

JT

If I try to fill up with as much gas as I can, I will have to keep squeezing the trigger lightly until I can get the gas to pour slowly as I watch it.

Sometimes I squeeze a bit too hard and get a blast of fuel that hits that metal rim thing down inside the filler neck. That's how I get a few specks of gas on my seat.
But by the time I grab a paper towel out of the rack, or the rack over at the other island... the gas has already evaporated.

And never fill up a gas tank while seated on the bike. Besides how unsafe this could be (gas in the lap, fire from not being grounded, etc) I have no idea how one puts their credit card in the thing... Is this in a state where you have to pay an attendant? In cash?

This won't work with all situations but I generally use the same gas station on either side of my work commute. I have found that some pumps have less pressure than others and I have made a mental note to which nozzles those are. I go out of my way to use the same pump every time so that I reduce the number of times I splash a little fuel on the seat. I personally don't care too much but I obviously don't want a bunch of fuel on my pants. I only have the splash issue towards the end of topping off the tank. This is where I do quick short bursts of fuel and try not to aim at the "splash guard". Whatever that metal piece is called. A pump with lower pressure really helps here. Plus, if your trying to fill the tank to the very very top, that is what is causing you problems too.

591 drops in a fluid ounce. A couple of drops will not impact your fuel efficiency As posted, keep the nozzle from hovering over the seat and your problem will be solved. My seat is almost 3 inches from the fuel fill.

After filling up just tilt the nozzle skyward and sweep it out from under the raised pillion. Easy-peasy !

Back