• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Kickstand Ten, In the Land of the Dragon, NC Meet Up Event

drdubb

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm still lazy, so most of this is from last year....and the year before...

KSL 10 will occur the weekend before the Memorial weekend, May 17-19. On those dates, motorcycle riders will gather at the Kickstand Motorcycle Lodge for a weekend of fun and frolic. This is an unofficial rally, no fees, no trophys, no embarrasing games, just great riding and camaraderie. Feel free to arrive earlier in the week or stay later...this is your trip.

This rally is just a gathering of like minded riders. There are no planned routes or events. The plan is no plan. The weekend is what you make of it. Some years its epic, some years its just a nice weekend of riding.

Basics...

We stay at the Kickstand Lodge Motorcycle Campground on Highway 28 in Stecoah, NC. Its a simple place, she (Mo) has a handful of cabins and tent sites for rent. They are basic affairs. Call early to reserve. The cabins have linens, but are basic affairs, no electricity, plumbing.
Bring your own tent.
She supplies towels for the bathhouse and there is a washer and dryer available in case you dirty your undies on a screaming curve.
Dinner is cooked and served for a small donation ($10) Cold beverages are also available for rental ($2). Breakfast is also served for a small donation ($5) if one of us gets up and cooks it. Usually someone does. Don't cheat the house. Everything is on the honor system. Bring cash...I don't think they take cards.
Small groups usually form and set out on their own rides. Four is a nice size for a group. Lunch is found somewhere on the road.
The obligatory rides are of course, The Tail of the Dragon and Cherohala Parkway. This makes a nice loop. Get your Dragon sticker at the beginning. Hwy. 28 over through Fontana to the beginning of the Dragon is really fun. If you want to ride the Dragon, I suggest arriving early and doing it Thursday or Friday morning before it fills up with squids and other fools. Tennessee LEOs patrol the road.
28 (hellbender) down to Highlands is nice. Stop at all of the waterfalls. There are also great loops off of the Blue Ridge Parkway.
The fried pie run down to Blue Ridge, Georgia is also popular.
There are a lot of good roads down in North Georgia.
There is more riding than you can do in a weekend.
Other roads, Joe Brown Highway, 68, Tilley road, Warwoman, 107, Wayah Road, Cullowhee Mountain Road, 197, 215, 281, 276.

AmericaRidesMaps.com make great maps that cover the area. I just learned from an inmate that they also have the dirt road maps too. I just ordered mine.

The best deal is to come in on Thursday...run the dragon Friday morning before it fills up with the fools, get your picture, sticker and check that one off the list. Leave Sunday or Monday. Expect to get wet. It always rains some...

We generally sit around in the evening with beverages, a fire, and tell lies etc. Don't forget to donate to the beverage fund.

Usually someone crashes and usually it is a rookie. My first year...it was me.

Some guys trailer their bikes, some ride in. Trailers are nice to go get the crashed guy's bike.

I hope some of you join us. I'll post more information later. Feel free to ask any question.

I'll eventually get around to a sign up page so I can let Mo know how many we've got coming.

By the way...getting to know Mo is worth the trip. She will never forget your name. I am always amazed.

Kickstand Lodge Motorcycle Campground

I'm still lazy, so most of this is from last year....and the year before...

KSL 10 will occur the weekend before the Memorial weekend, May 17-19. On those dates, motorcycle riders will gather at the Kickstand Motorcycle Lodge for a weekend of fun and frolic. This is an unofficial rally, no fees, no trophys, no embarrasing games, just great riding and camaraderie. Feel free to arrive earlier in the week or stay later...this is your trip.

This rally is just a gathering of like minded riders. There are no planned routes or events. The plan is no plan. The weekend is what you make of it. Some years its epic, some years its just a nice weekend of riding.

Basics...

We stay at the Kickstand Lodge Motorcycle Campground on Highway 28 in Stecoah, NC. Its a simple place, she (Mo) has a handful of cabins and tent sites for rent. They are basic affairs. Call early to reserve. The cabins have linens, but are basic affairs, no electricity, plumbing.
Bring your own tent.
She supplies towels for the bathhouse and there is a washer and dryer available in case you dirty your undies on a screaming curve.
Dinner is cooked and served for a small donation ($10) Cold beverages are also available for rental ($2). Breakfast is also served for a small donation ($5) if one of us gets up and cooks it. Usually someone does. Don't cheat the house. Everything is on the honor system. Bring cash...I don't think they take cards.
Small groups usually form and set out on their own rides. Four is a nice size for a group. Lunch is found somewhere on the road.
The obligatory rides are of course, The Tail of the Dragon and Cherohala Parkway. This makes a nice loop. Get your Dragon sticker at the beginning. Hwy. 28 over through Fontana to the beginning of the Dragon is really fun. If you want to ride the Dragon, I suggest arriving early and doing it Thursday or Friday morning before it fills up with squids and other fools. Tennessee LEOs patrol the road.
28 (hellbender) down to Highlands is nice. Stop at all of the waterfalls. There are also great loops off of the Blue Ridge Parkway.
The fried pie run down to Blue Ridge, Georgia is also popular.
There are a lot of good roads down in North Georgia.
There is more riding than you can do in a weekend.
Other roads, Joe Brown Highway, 68, Tilley road, Warwoman, 107, Wayah Road, Cullowhee Mountain Road, 197, 215, 281, 276.

AmericaRidesMaps.com make great maps that cover the area. I just learned from an inmate that they also have the dirt road maps too. I just ordered mine.

The best deal is to come in on Thursday...run the dragon Friday morning before it fills up with the fools, get your picture, sticker and check that one off the list. Leave Sunday or Monday. Expect to get wet. It always rains some...

We generally sit around in the evening with beverages, a fire, and tell lies etc. Don't forget to donate to the beverage fund.

Usually someone crashes and usually it is a rookie. My first year...it was me.

Some guys trailer their bikes, some ride in. Trailers are nice to go get the crashed guy's bike.

I hope some of you join us. I'll post more information later. Feel free to ask any question.

I'll eventually get around to a sign up page so I can let Mo know how many we've got coming.

By the way...getting to know Mo is worth the trip. She will never forget your name. I am always amazed.

Kickstand Lodge Motorcycle Campground
Just ordered the full map package!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Advice from a guy that shows up every year with serious sport bikes (but sadly I can’t recall his name right now), is that leaving on Monday morning makes good sense if you need to depart via US129 north. Trying to get through the Tail of the Dragon with a pickup truck and trailer is better without the Sunday crowds.

I will be there!!!. I ride in either on Thursday or Friday morning (via the Dragon usually). I usually head home on Sunday morning (usually around 7-730am) and the Dragon is usually quiet. The past 2 years, only 1 car and 1 motorcycle both years with little or no oncoming traffic (think most of the other riders/drivers in the area sleeping in from night before).

I will be in the area, I believe, but on the ADV rally in Murphy, NC. Want to follow this thread and maybe hook up when we all get down there. I will be going down Wednesday, but heading home Sunday morning.

I'm hoping to go up on Wed, Leave on Sunday.

Seems like I remember that ADV event last year.

2013-05-181213112_zpsc064e8f0-1-L.jpg

I'm not doing a big trip this year, I'll have to check the vacation calendar at work, but I might make a long weekend out of it.

Down in that area, there are enough roads and twisties that arent "famous" to keep you busy the whole of the weekend. It is a great area and if you have a couple days to ride in the area you wont regret any of it.

I will be down in Murphy from Wednesday (arriving) through Sunday (leaving). I plan on doing a Dragon and Cherohala loop on Thursday if anyone is interested. I'd love to meet up with you guys for that if you are planning on that ride at all. To get to the center of Robbinsville, the map says it will take me 2 hours (roughly) even though it is only 46 miles. Let me know if anyone is interested, we can meet at one of the gas stations in the area, maybe the one just outside Robbinsville to the northwest.

I will be down in Murphy from Wednesday (arriving) through Sunday (leaving). I plan on doing a Dragon and Cherohala loop on Thursday if anyone is interested. I'd love to meet up with you guys for that if you are planning on that ride at all. To get to the center of Robbinsville, the map says it will take me 2 hours (roughly) even though it is only 46 miles. Let me know if anyone is interested, we can meet at one of the gas stations in the area, maybe the one just outside Robbinsville to the northwest.

if it takes you 2 hours to go from Murphy to Robbinsville-you are pushing the bike and not riding it LOL. If I remember correctly though, your campground is north/northwest of Murphy and you would have to ride thru all those traffic lights in Murphy....Only 1 traffic light in Andrews (maybe 2 now)-once you turn onto US129 from US19/US74, it is only like 20 minutes of riding (at speed limit)... I will be riding in on Thursday, tend to get at Deal's gap around noonish (if I take Interstate to Knoxville)....

if it takes you 2 hours to go from Murphy to Robbinsville-you are pushing the bike and not riding it LOL. If I remember correctly though, your campground is north/northwest of Murphy and you would have to ride thru all those traffic lights in Murphy....Only 1 traffic light in Andrews (maybe 2 now)-once you turn onto US129 from US19/US74, it is only like 20 minutes of riding (at speed limit)... I will be riding in on Thursday, tend to get at Deal's gap around noonish (if I take Interstate to Knoxville)....

Oh, I know. It never took me that long previously. I was going by the estimate of the map. It's 46 miles to the gas station just outside of Robbinsville from Crawford's.

I am going to do the Dragon and Cherohala on Thursday, so I am not fighting crowds Friday or Saturday. I'll be headed down Wednesday morning, looking to arrive around 4PM or so.

Oh, I know. It never took me that long previously. I was going by the estimate of the map. It's 46 miles to the gas station just outside of Robbinsville from Crawford's.

I am going to do the Dragon and Cherohala on Thursday, so I am not fighting crowds Friday or Saturday. I'll be headed down Wednesday morning, looking to arrive around 4PM or so.
Which route you going to take, or is that still in the planning stages....

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Back