• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Auxiliary Fuel Tank (one more)

XPaY

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys;

I'm from France and here is my first thread to show you my additional tank setup. I've found a lot of information on that forum so it's my turn to give a feed back

I choosed to put the gas on the side of the bike using amo box. One will be used to put stuff (on the right) and the other will contain fuel. I'll be able to carry 10 Liters more.

My configuration is pretty easy, I just connected the breathe hose to the auxiliary tank. The bike just suck up the additional tank until it's empty, and then is using the main.

When I press the can I can here it "breath" over the aux hose.

It work like a charm since 4 weeks.

Stuff used :

- Ammo can : Boite a munitions US M9 Cal. 50 mm Import kaki

- Fuel valve : Amazon.fr : 2 robinets d'arret Raysen 2KW 3KW pour moteur a essence et reservoir de carburant

- Hatch for the fuel : 38 ou 50mm Bateau Materiel Carburant Nable 316 marine qualite acier inoxydable Key Cap bateau accessoires Prise yacht Caravans1.5 "2" dans Raccords de tuyauterie de Renovation sur AliExpress.com | Alibaba Group

- For the breather hose : and old valve like that one : 90 degree CNC Black Motorcycle Valve Stems Tire 10mm 11.3mm Rim Wheel Aluminum dans Tiges de soupape et Casquettes de Automobiles et Motos sur AliExpress.com | Alibaba Group

+

Chaude En Aluminium Moto Gaz Pit Dirt Bike Carburant Bouchon du Reservoir D'essence Tuyau de Reniflard Tuyau ATV 2Way Valve Reniflard Tube tuyau dans Filtres a huile de Automobiles et Motos sur AliExpress.com | Alibaba Group

schema.jpg

branchement.jpg

tank2.jpg

tank3.jpg

test.jpg

ncvalise.jpg

IMG_20181224_085609.jpg

Feel free to ask me if you have some question

Last edited:
Interesting, but I am a bit curious, where do you plan to go far enough beyond EU borders to be taking such drastic measures? I mean, I am from Europe too, and it is so overpopulated with gas stations everywhere that I figure that a small 1,5 litre plastic FuelFriend[emoji2400] canister which I carry with me sometimes for longer trips to the unknown will take me to the nearest gas station no matter where in EU I am :) Just kidding of course, I am sure you do have your reasons, I am only jealous of your craftsmanship and envious of your approximate range of over 700 km between fill-ups. BTW, you could almost travel across my whole country and back with that range and fill-up at the same station where you started from :D

Last edited:
Intriguing. Kinda adds to the excitement of a low side slide also [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting, but I am a bit curious, where do you plan to go far enough beyond EU borders to be taking such drastic measures? I mean, I am from Europe too, and it is so overpopulated with gas stations everywhere that I figure that a small 1,5 litre plastic FuelFriend[emoji2400] canister which I carry with me sometimes for longer trips to the unknown will take me to the nearest gas station no matter where in EU I am :) Just kidding of course, I am sure you do have your reasons, I am only jealous of your craftsmanship and envious of your approximate range of over 700 km between fill-ups. BTW, you could almost travel across my whole country and back with that range and fill-up at the same station where you started from :D

I made this 95% for the fun, and 5% because I don't want to visit the gas station to often

I'll also convert the bike to E85, it's half the price for a liter in France

I only do comuting with that bike

It looks like you can still open the ammo box lid, correct? I wonder if the lid seal is compatible with fuel. You could take it to a skilled welder and seal that lid.

I would love to have a larger tank on my NC. At the moment, I just use a small fuel bottle for emergencies.

JT

I'll take a look a the lid seal.

If it don't react with the fuel correctly, I'll weld the top of the box.

Yes

It's like if you do it yourself using a pipe and your mouth with water

I understand how a siphon works but the set-up you describe is not a siphon because air under atmospheric pressure is introduced at the end of the hose connected to the top of the stock tank (where the original stock vent hose connected). It's a physical impossibility to move fluid uphill unless the upper level of fluid in the lower vessel (motorcycle tank) remains below the upper level of the fluid in the auxiliary tank (ammo can). When air is introduced in the connecting hose the siphon breaks and flow stops.

It's hard to see from the pictures but what I think happens is the ammo can is mounted high enough that the upper level of the gasoline when the ammo can tank is topped off is above the level of the top of the motorcycle tank and gasoline flows under gravity alone into the lower tank until the two levels equalize. You mentioned about 10 liters is gained. Why not the entire volume of the ammo can - 30 to 40 liters?

To fix the siphon issue you could plug the main tank drain hose; it's best not to have it there anyway.
Either that or have a fuel pump controlled by hand switch push the fuel from the aux. to the main tank.

By the way, it looks like you have tanks on both sides, is this correct?

It's a physical impossibility to move fluid uphill unless the upper level of fluid in the lower vessel (motorcycle tank) remains below the upper level of the fluid in the auxiliary tank (ammo can). When air is introduced in the connecting hose the siphon breaks and flow stops.

It's hard to see from the pictures but what I think happens is the ammo can is mounted high enough that the upper level of the gasoline when the ammo can tank is topped off is above the level of the top of the motorcycle tank and gasoline flows under gravity alone into the lower tank until the two levels equalize. You mentioned about 10 liters is gained. Why not the entire volume of the ammo can - 30 to 40 liters?

I made 5 times the tests, looking at the inside of the amo can and it ALWAYS go dry before using the main.

The amo can is lower than the main (when it's full)

I'm sorry I really get tired about posts telling that "it's no possible without a pump"

I just tried it and it's work, that the fact I really don't care about the theory

The amo can is 13L (when you do the math); the fuel pump tell me 10L which seems to be realistic because i can't use all the size.

I posted a picture that shown the inside of the can!!!

Last edited:
Hi X.. Very neat, simple project. I think I understand how the ammo box feeds the main tank while riding...
- Fuel pump draws fuel ( from the main tank) for the engine, creating a low pressure situation in the main tank
- Since the line between the fuel tanks is sealed, the low pressure 'sucks' fuel from the ammo can into the main tank
- So, it's not truly a siphon but, rather, a closed system in which the fuel pump draws from the main tank and the main tank draws from the ammo can.

When you fill up at the petrol station, you open and fill both tanks, correct?

I like your paint job, too...

I love these projects, and am one of the people that find the fuel range on these bikes to be frustratingly short (probably true of nearly all bikes ;) )

It looks like you used a new hose to pull fuel from the aux tank but I just want to be sure that you made sure it was compatible to be used as a fuel line. Apparently the breather hose already on our bikes, while part of the fuel system is not compatible as a fuel line and can degrade over time when it has fuel in it.

I really like the simplicity of your solution compared to most of the ideas I had in my mind.

Back