• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Oil filter again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Therapy

Reaction score
Visit site
One son needs the annual oil/filter service.
I have looked at past threads and remain confused a little bit.
dduelin, following your link for the filters I note shipping doubles the cost. Maybe worth it?
The Fram site search results in 6017A. Parts Search | FRAM The NC is there.
We have some in the garage that are Fram 7317. If my damaged neurons remember it is the ones we bought a while back (1-2 years??) after my forum searches. I think I searched the Civic and came up with that number back then. We have 5 of them. And no other Honda vehicles. Just the 3 NCs.

What should I do?

Chatting online with "FRAM" they say the 6017 and 7317 differ in external length only.
They say the pressure bypass is 9-15.

Marty
Support Agent
Good
Marty
Hello. How may I help you?

Jeff Schinkel
oil filter for Honda motorcycle NC 700
NC700X years 2012, 2014 and NC700XD 2015
Marty
is this atv

Jeff Schinkel
Site search is not consistent.
Some years are not listed.
All are Motorcycles.
Marty
will check

Jeff Schinkel
Two wheel 670cc motorcycle
IT seems almost every single Honda vehicle uses the 7317, but your site lists 6017A for the 2014 NC700X.
Marty
i show for 2012 nc700x is a ph6017a

Jeff Schinkel
Other years do not show a choice for NC700
my search shows no choice for NC700 in the 2012
Marty
i show nc700 x for 2012 only

Jeff Schinkel
We cannot source a 6017A in area
Marty
did you check walmart

which year do you want

Jeff Schinkel
When I search the 2014 I get a choice for NC700 on your site.
Son is at Walmart. No joy.
Marty
the filter is in a black bpx

Jeff Schinkel
We have 3 NC700s.
Marty
b lack box

Jeff Schinkel
2012, 2014 and 2015 XD model
Marty
are you asking for all three years

yes true but look for the black box only

Jeff Schinkel
Original entry: oil filter for Honda motorcycle NC 700
NC700X years 2012, 2014 and NC700XD 2015
3 bikes
3 years
3 filters
Marty
ok will ccheck

Jeff Schinkel
Every honda car uses the 7317
What is the blow-by pressure relief rating of the 6017 and the 7317?
Marty
all the bike take a ph6017a

do not use the 7317 on the bike all filters are based on apps only

Jeff Schinkel
What is the difference between the 6017 and the 7317?
based on apps only
What does that mean?
Marty
both filter are 9-15 lbs

Jeff Schinkel
Then is it the size of the casing?
Marty
7317 is tall 6017 is short

Jeff Schinkel
my sources say the common pressure differnces between filters are - Some filters are 8-11, some 11-14, some 14-18 psi.
Seems odd the Fram is so wide a variable.
If it is just he case size then we can use the 7317. It fits.
What other parameters are there? Filter size in microns?
Marty
if you use the 7317 this will be at own risk

9:33 am
Source says - Honda engineers apparently like a relatively low filter efficiency and relatively high oil pressures and spec this.
I get the risk.
That is why I am asking about the specs. All of them.

9:35 am
As far as I know the filtering capacity of Fram is dependent on the part number Prefix. Right? Pressures are in the rest of the part number.

But it depends on whom you get to talk to right?

Last edited:
Are you stuck on using a FRAM filter? I switched to the K&N Filter with the nut on the end. It is the KN -204. Make it easier to remove the filter.

The Honda motorcycle filter is shorter.
I usually use Mobil 1, Bosch or Purolator for the bike (easily available in my area). I also use Fram 7317 for my CR-V (easy to get at Walmart when oil is on sale).
The Mobil 1 M1-110 fits my car. The M1-108 is shorter. The 108 is the same size as the stock Honda mc filter.
Basically I buy whatever is on sale that fits my CR-V and use them on my car, NC700X and ST1300.

JT

Last edited:
For some reason we all must have bought a couple as we have 5 in the garage.
My son questioned the correct one to use quoting the 6017 from the Fram site.
I had to start all the research over again because I can no longer remember a lot of things. I review/research things and reach a decision. I can remember my decision but not the reason for it.
I thought asking would make it simpler to return my confidence in questioned decision. I only was interested in Fram, yes. Have been using for my whole life, just like Castrol GTX. Cheap and available. I have never had an oil related failure. 250k miles on bikes and ?? in cages.
My mother, for years, told me not to get old.

There is plenty of room to use the longer filter on the NC. I use the Fram on my car for 8000 mile oil change intervals. It has 95,000 miles on it now. I guess it will work fine.
I like the Mobil 1 better because they are easily available off the shelf and black in color. An orange filter Sticking out in front would be more visible.

JT

I use the napa brand gold (black in color)
And made by WIX
222ca4fcf581903e3b7897fc3ff84a97.jpg

The one in the pic is the exact one I use on my NC, it's actually for a civic or accord (99% of Honda's use the same size and bypass pressure, some are a little longer but that's just more filter material to more better [emoji1360][emoji16])

Only Honda I know of with a unique filter is the coupe S2000

Last edited:
I've been using the 7317 filters for 25 - 30k miles now, excepting one interval where I had a Bosch 3300 on it. They fit and work perfectly in all respects. I use either the Tough Gard or the Ultra according to whim. The 6017A is the Fram filter for nearly all Honda motorcycles made for a couple decades(?), and the 7317 is the Fram filter for essentially all Honda automobiles for I truly don't know how many decades. The last analysis I ran showed that my used oil was significantly cleaner than new oil from the same bottle when I used the 7317.

Are you stuck on using a FRAM filter? I switched to the K&N Filter with the nut on the end. It is the KN -204. Make it easier to remove the filter.

Or a HiFloFiltro HF204....

I use the napa brand gold (black in color)
And made by WIXThe one in the pic is the exact one I use on my NC, it's actually for a civic or accord (99% of Honda's use the same size and bypass pressure, some are a little longer but that's just more filter material to more better [emoji1360][emoji16])

Only Honda I know of with a unique filter is the coupe S2000

I see this morphing into a never ending oil (filter) thread. Why are we posting about other filters? The question is specifically about the FRAM 7317, which the OP has 5 of.

Last edited:
I see this morphing into a never ending oil (filter) thread. Why are we posting about other filters? The question is specifically about the FRAM 7317, which the OP has 5 of.

I missed the part about him having 5 filters and was going to recommend something better, IMO. Didn't intentionally try to derail the topic.

I missed the part about him having 5 filters and was going to recommend something better, IMO. Didn't intentionally try to derail the topic.

It’s fine, nothing personal. I don’t mean to be heavy handed, but these type threads tend to take on life and grow into monsters if we don’t stay on topic.

I bought an oil filter at Wal-Mart. don't remember the brand but it was the number listed in the book hanging from the oil filter shelf at the store. I also ordered an oil filter wrench from Amazon, the kind that slips over the end of the oil filter and has a square hole that a 3/8 ratchet will fit into. The wrench wouldn't fit over the filter that I bought at Wal-mart, so I thought Oh great Amazon sent me the wrong wrench. But then I got down on the floor to see if the wrench would fit the filter that was on the bike, perfect fit. So I took the filter back to the store and then ordered a genuine Honda filter from Amazon.

I've been doing some reading on the topic just because I'm curious and almost every thread I have read says the PH6017A is used on Honda motorcycles and the PH7317 is used with Honda cars. The only difference is the height and I assume this is because a car filters more oil over a bike. Many Gold Wing riders report using the PH7317 and have done so for years without issue. It seems to boil do to a clearance issue and from what I have seen and read, the NC will not have a problem. Seems like you have nothing to be concerned about.

I've been using the 7317 filters for 25 - 30k miles now, excepting one interval where I had a Bosch 3300 on it. They fit and work perfectly in all respects. I use either the Tough Gard or the Ultra according to whim. The 6017A is the Fram filter for nearly all Honda motorcycles made for a couple decades(?), and the 7317 is the Fram filter for essentially all Honda automobiles for I truly don't know how many decades. The last analysis I ran showed that my used oil was significantly cleaner than new oil from the same bottle when I used the 7317.

Thanks.
I don't understand cleaner after use though. :confused:

Thanks.I don't understand cleaner after use though. :confused:

My interpretation is that after using the new oil from the same bottle first with the 6017A filter, and at the next oil & filter change used the 7317 filter. Then he sent both used oil samples for analysis and the oil used with the 7317 filter had less crud in it. Note: he uses either the Tough Guard (TG7317) or Ultra (XG7317), which are better filters than the plain 7317. Clear as crankcase sludge.

Or... With the Fram filter, he can pour used oil in the crankcase, drive 88 mph and after 8,000 miles he can bottle it up like new!

a5e61e0592b256f86a8a9b1dddb1d1af.jpg

JT

Last edited:
Thanks.
I don't understand cleaner after use though. :confused:

I had particular analyses called particle counts run on the used oil and on the remaining new from one of the bottles I'd filled the bike with. The used oil had considerably fewer particles of all analyzed sizes (a range of sizes that are the sizes that cause essentially all engine wear) in it than the new had. What that basically means is that the Tough Gard 7317 is a _very_ good filter, and the Ultra is an even better filter than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back