• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Dale's Rack questions for those of you who have them

melensdad

Reaction score
Visit site
I tend to ride with my butt planted firmly on the back part of the seat. That means my rear end is in contact with, and pressed against, the front portion of the rear seat.

Saving up my couch and pocket change to purchase a Dale's Rack ... but I'm curious about how the comfort.

As I sit in contact with the rear seat and as that will now be in contact the downturned metal lip of the Dale's Rack, will my delicate derrière notice that it is pressed against bent metal or has the discomfort of the NCx seat so corrupted my heinie nerves that it won't even notice being pushed up to hard metal.

What say the Dale's Rack users amongst us?

Your arms are apparently longer than mine, as I’ve never sat with my butt against Dale’s rack, except maybe for an occasional stretch. In times when I did contact the rack, there was no discomfort.

Same for me. I have Dale's rack and have not any seating problem with it. I do have the Shad seat and modified the slope by elevating the front.

I don't have the rack, and I sit my NC just like you do. Will follow this thread as I want one. But I'm thinking of taking a cold winter ride today. The thought of a frozen aluminum plate stuck to my rear brings to mind a insulated pad that is velcroed to the plate in the cold. (Patent pending)

I’ve got a Sargeant seat and Dales rack, and I too will sit far back on the drivers seat, especially when I’ve got my feet on my highway pegs. No discomfort at all. It doesn’t feel like a metal part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have the rack, and I sit my NC just like you do. Will follow this thread as I want one. But I'm thinking of taking a cold winter ride today. The thought of a frozen aluminum plate stuck to my rear brings to mind a insulated pad that is velcroed to the plate in the cold. (Patent pending)

Perhaps you should wear pants when you ride? :cool:

12162016_christmas_story.2e16d0ba.fill-735x490.jpg

Stock seat, Dale's rack, 6'1" long arms. I sit similar to you and have no issues. Don't even realize it but I'm up against the aluminum often.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

This is good, as I am getting one this week. But I need the ability to strap down to the seat I never use more than anything else. I guess one could always throw some padding on that part.

I'm right there with everyone else. On occasion, I intentionally slide myself way back in the seat and cannot tell I'm up against a metal plate. Also, that portion of the rack is bent as a downward angle so it is almost like a butt stop.

Really thinking I'm going to be accelerating my savings for a Dale's Rack by shaking the loose change out of the coats of holiday visitor who stop by the house.

It sounds like there is no discomfort for the rider who may be a bit taller and sits a bit farther back. The Dale's Rack would solve several issues for me and I never ride 2 up so it really doesn't pose any real downside other than leaving the gas cap exposed.

Might have to look for a locking gas cap?

Really thinking I'm going to be accelerating my savings for a Dale's Rack by shaking the loose change out of the coats of holiday visitor who stop by the house.

It sounds like there is no discomfort for the rider who may be a bit taller and sits a bit farther back. The Dale's Rack would solve several issues for me and I never ride 2 up so it really doesn't pose any real downside other than leaving the gas cap exposed.

Might have to look for a locking gas cap?

The Ruckus locking gas cap is interchangeable with the NC.

Locking gas cap thread: locking gas cap

Dale also sells one along side the rack.

I'll be throwing money at him this weekend for a rack. IT will also help solve some packing issues and allow me to take a more comfortable sleep system without sacrificing time having to unstrap everything to fill up. I have been heming and hawing about this one since I got the bike, time to just get it.

Just got mine mounted (been away for a bit.) There is about a 1.5 inch gap between the front of the rack and the rear of the saddle. I havent been out riding with it yet, but I didnt even feel the rack when I was sitting on it in the garage. I do have a different seat than the original NC (Shad), so that could be the difference.

I am gonna love this thing for trips where I need to carry more gear. I can strap the pannier bags (which strap over the rear seat) and not have to displace them to fill up. I can also strap a few extras like my camp chair on it, again without having to remove it to fill up.

I do recommend getting a locking gas cap, whether it is from Dale or another place.

Made a 2 hour ride today with the new rack, and didn't feel it at all. The old panier seat I always felt on my tailbone, and after a full day of riding it got to be a literal pain in the ***. I don't see this rack doing that, even though the front of it is not padded.

He sells the locking cap as well, with 2 keys. Must have, IMO

Yeah I ran the rack for years, with an auxiliary fuel tank and never once felt anything behind me. I also never ran a locking gas cap, but then again I guess I've never worried much bout someone siphoning my gas?

I don’t use a locking gas cap on my Dale rack either. The bike isn’t unattended all that much (unless it’s in the garage), and the tank only holds about $10 of gas? The cap is around $40-50 (according to google)? Gas gets to $10/gal I’ll consider it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stuff a rag in the rack’s hole and no one would even know there’s a gas cap there.

Back