• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC700X or NC750X auto model as your only m/c

Honda333

Reaction score
Visit site
Old guy here. I have owned ridden, and enjoyed many styles and types of motorcycles. IF you could only have (1) motorcycle because of space, point in your life, age, what ever, would the NC 700 XD abs or 750 XD abs auto trans model be your choice for the only mc you could own ? I am considering either of these models as possibly the last mc purchase I make. Please offer your opinions why this mc over others. Thanks in advance.

It depends entirely on whether I’d ride single or two up. If I were never taking a passenger, the NC700/750 could be my only motorcycle. However, I would stay with the manual transmission for simplicity and reliability. But since I involve my wife with the sport, currently my single bike choice would need to be a GL1800. While the NC could take a passenger, it is far from ideal for that purpose. (Of course going to a single bike GL1800 would mean giving up off road riding, so don’t force me to make a choice).

If you are going to ride solo and you like the DCT, I think the NCXD could work well for you.

Last edited:
I have a NC700X for single riding and commuting. Planning to get panniers and set it up for 1up camping.
I also have a ST1300 that I ride mostly 2up with my wife. I also rode it on a 4500 mile trip this summer. It handles the freeway much better than the NC.

Because my wife likes to ride, if I could only keep one it would be the ST. If she didn’t ride, I would keep the NC.

I’m blessed that my wife told me to get the second bike.

JT

I don't think there is an appreciable difference between the two models. There are increases with the 750, but I doubt you would be able to either notice or utilize them. If both bikes were in front of me at the time of purchase, I'd go with the cheaper of the two and use the difference on gasoline.

I’d stick with my ST1300 if I could only have one bike. The NC is a great bike, but tiring to ride long,long distances. The ST gets only 2/3 the miles per gallon, though, and is no good for off-road.
Tough choice!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old guy here. I have owned ridden, and enjoyed many styles and types of motorcycles. IF you could only have (1) motorcycle because of space, point in your life, age, what ever, would the NC 700 XD abs or 750 XD abs auto trans model be your choice for the only mc you could own ? I am considering either of these models as possibly the last mc purchase I make. Please offer your opinions why this mc over others. Thanks in advance.

My wife is 57, I'm 58 ... we purchased DCT versions of the NC700x and NC750x as her & his motorcycles. Probably our last bikes, assuming they hold up as well as we expect them to hold up.

FWIW, I do notice the difference in power in the 750 over the 700 but neither is a sport/high performance bike

I had only one choice. I don't have room or the money right now for another bike. That said, my choice in the NC700x was because I wanted the best commuter bike and this one hit all the points. It's not the fastest bike, it's not the most comfortable, it's probably not the best one for all lot of things. But it gets fantastic fuel mileage, Oil changes are at 8k and other maintenance is relatively easy, it runs great on the freeway at 75 mph and I could put some storage on it. All in, I did the research and came up with this bike for the best commuter. If I was looking for a highway cruiser I would want something larger. If I was looking for a trail bike, it would probably be smaller with better suspension. Something to bop around my neighborhood? I might go with a scooter. But for this one purpose, that is going 50 miles each way back and forth to work, the NC does the job great...and I get to use the carpool lane.

Thanks for your replies. Wife and I rode for many yrs, went many places. She doesn’t care to ride anymore- so it’s just me. Medical issues mean heavy bikes are out. I had 6 cyl wings,big v- twins, fast sport bikes. At a point were she enjoys her hobbies and mine have narrowed down to motorcycles, although I’m at a point that “one” bike that will/ would work to fill my needs. I’d bought a new Indian Scout 2 yrs ago. It’s a lot of fun, low CG,fast, good mileage, but the riding position is not the best. Besides after relocating I need to travel more unimproved roads and desolate areas, but still need to travel hwy for appointments, etc.. The whole reason for this post about the NC 700/750 x or DC. I don’t want upkeep,insurance,batteries, maintenance on additional mcs anymore. A friend of mine wanted to sell me his 2013 V-Strom for a very good price because of his recient condition. But it’s heavier than I want, and I don’t need to go 130 mph or 0-60 in two seconds anymore. Besides it sits too high. I’ve mellowed out. Just want to have so fun solitude riding to/ where ever strikes me, and that includes a little off roading at times.

Until a recent gremlin set in, I was enjoying my bike in much the way you plan. Trips to downtown, out of town, shopping runs where I buy one small bag of food that can fit inside my frunk or a big bag that can fit in my top case and errands. Still waiting until I can tour the roads that burned up here in Malibu to see what's gone or what remains.

The only thing to remember is that it is still a motorcycle and that means it's not maintenance-free. Unlike a car you need to spend time working on it
- chain cleaning and lubing
-making adjustments so it fits better
-adding accessories and farkles- seat, windscreen, luggage, centerstand, heated grips, etc.

The NC700/750 carries its weight well. I like DCT so yes I could live with the combination as my only bike. I am 67 and as such I am tending to lean towards lighter bikes as I get older. Accordingly I see a CB500X on the horizon at some point. Other than not having DCT it will pretty much do all that You require and indeed will carry you to the ends of the Earth if You so require. It will cruise at 80mph all day and has comfortable ergonomics. With the new model having a 19" front wheel I believe it would be better on unimproved roads than an NC. Just one to consider.

You could always buy a used one and ride it for a while. If you like it, keep it. If not, send it down the road and buy something else. After all, it is only a motorcycle.

JT

Until a recent gremlin set in, I was enjoying my bike in much the way you plan. Trips to downtown, out of town, shopping runs where I buy one small bag of food that can fit inside my frunk or a big bag that can fit in my top case and errands. Still waiting until I can tour the roads that burned up here in Malibu to see what's gone or what remains.

The only thing to remember is that it is still a motorcycle and that means it's not maintenance-free. Unlike a car you need to spend time working on it
- chain cleaning and lubing
-making adjustments so it fits better
-adding accessories and farkles- seat, windscreen, luggage, centerstand, heated grips, etc.
Cars need maintenance too! Many people don't think so. Sure they need less. I remember when they didn't. Fluid changes, tires, most people ignore their car's maintenance schedules in the owners manual. Brake fluid and transmission fluid often get forgotten about.[emoji16]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

NC700/750X DCT would be a good choice for you. I bought mine with the thought that it might be my last bike. The main reason was the very low CG and the DCT. The low CG makes it easy to handle when pushing it around. My last bike was a 650 VStrom. I liked it a lot but it was tall and very top heavy. I also considered the CB500X. I test rode one and liked it, but the NC actually felt lighter pulling it off the sidestand and I really liked the low end torque. In the end, I bought the NC. If I had to replace it, I would probably buy another one.

Another geezer here. I bought my 750 XD to be my last bike. Reasons, arthritis in both wrists and thumbs make clutch work painful. The very low CoG makes riding a breeze. It feels much lighter than it is.

I also have a Can Am for two up touring with my wife. My Harley has been cross country many times and I wish it could be my last bike. I love it dearly. But the weight and clutch just won't allow it. I still ride it on "good" days. But the reality of life is waking up wondering what part will hurt today.

Someday my nephew will get the Harley. I hope later rather than sooner. Then the NC will be the last two wheeler.

Another geezer here. I bought my 750 XD to be my last bike. Reasons, arthritis in both wrists and thumbs make clutch work painful. The very low CoG makes riding a breeze. It feels much lighter than it is.

I also have a Can Am for two up touring with my wife. My Harley has been cross country many times and I wish it could be my last bike. I love it dearly. But the weight and clutch just won't allow it. I still ride it on "good" days. But the reality of life is waking up wondering what part will hurt today.

Someday my nephew will get the Harley. I hope later rather than sooner. Then the NC will be the last two wheeler.

I understand completely. I have 3 completely worn out knuckles, arthritis in both hands,back,knees along with neurological problems. Riding my Scout is fun, as you say on “ good” days when everything doesn’t hurt as much. One reason I was considering the 700 or 750 DC. With a more conventional seat/hands/feet positional and the auto trans feature might get me to ride a bit more.

The whole reason for this post about the NC 700/750 x or DC. I don’t want upkeep,insurance,batteries, maintenance on additional mcs anymore. A friend of mine wanted to sell me his 2013 V-Strom for a very good price because of his recent condition. But it’s heavier than I want, and I don’t need to go 130 mph or 0-60 in two seconds anymore. Besides it sits too high. I’ve mellowed out. Just want to have so fun solitude riding to/ where ever strikes me, and that includes a little off roading at times.

You made a couple comments that caught my attention so I'll throw in my two cents. There have been several conversations over a Manual vs a DCT. I will choose the manual every time but several riders on this forum have or have had carpal tunnel and swear by the automatic transmission to help with this problem. Especially as it related to heavy traffic areas. I like having total control so stick with the manual intentionally. You also made mention of a different bike being too high. Have you sat on a NC700? I would consider myself average height and I cannot flat foot this bike. Many people have had to install lowering links so although the bike has a low center of gravity it can still be a little tipsy at stops if you cannot flatfoot the bike. You mentioned upkeep. I don't know what you have rode previously but remember that this bike has a chain which requires oiling and changing every 10-14k. No belt or shaft drive here so for someone like me, I go through a chain just about every year and I'm oiling it every 5-6th tank. You made ride less so it won't be an issue. Many aspects of maintenance are easy on this bike except for maybe the air filter. It is buried.

For about the same weight as an NC you can ride an Africa Twin, which is a better motorcycle in almost every way. No frunk and I suspect the center of gravity is a little higher. It also comes in DCT.

i was enjoying myself so much when I started riding again ( 3 years ago) that I actually entertained the idea of "stepping up" to an Africa Twin. After thinking about it and riding one, I decided that, for me, the AT is not actually an upgrade at all. It's more powerful, it works better off-road, it has taller tires, etc etc.... But it is not an upgrade at all when judged strictly as a commuter, which is what I need in a bike.
Much better mpg, frunk, lower rider positioning, lower CG, less cost, relatively low maintenance, relatively simple maintenance, etc

At my age, I will not be doing another Barstow-to-Vegas. I just need something to get me around town with a smile on my face. The fact that it's powerful enough to ride the twisty two-lanes in the county is pure gravy.

I really love my NC700 and as silly as it may be, I brag about it all the time. I have yet to see a bike that would convince me to abandon her.
thom

For about the same weight as an NC you can ride an Africa Twin, which is a better motorcycle in almost every way. No frunk and I suspect the center of gravity is a little higher. It also comes in DCT.

I own both and a VFR1200X, all DCT.

Despite the fact that the NC700X and AT might be close on the scale does NOT translate to the "feel" weight of the two bikes. If I had no idea about bike weights, I'd guess my AT weighed 100 - 150 lbs. more than my NC700X just going by feel alone. Plus, the AT is much more top heavy and you feel its weight more frequently than with the NC. Not to mention, its quite a bit taller.

One major PITA on the AT is tubes. I had a flat during a ride last week and even with all the tools and a spare tube on the bike, it took me two hours on the side of the road to change it and get going again. Thankfully it happened at a convenient location at a convenient time at a convenient temperature and and I had time to spare. Compare that to 10 minutes plugging a tubeless tire setup like the NC or my VFR. And much less stuff you have to carry on the bike to do the deed.

The VFR is much nicer on the highway than the AT which is much nicer on the highway than the NC. And by that I mean interstate travel, hours at 75 mph kind of thing. If you subtract that from the equation, then things get much more equal. With the right tires, my NC will tear up a rough gravel road as easily as my AT will. But throw in some unmaintained stuff and the AT's suspension really starts to shine.

At 47, if I could only have one bike... whew. That's a really tough call for me. I'm a big guy. Well over 6 feet and heavy, so I feel more comfortable on the AT or VFR, but that said, the NC is a blast to ride. Putting ego aside, it literally does everything I need a bike to do. I suspect a NC750X would even more so.

If I was under 6 feet tall and lighter and older/past my adrenaline junkie cravings, I'd buy a NC750X DCT, farkle it out like crazy and never look back.

All that said, one of my buddies has a 650 Burgman and he loves it. He said his favorite thing is to pass Harley riders at 100 mph on it :D

This is a very difficult question to ask of this or any forum. You have riders with 5 months experience here and riders with 50 years behind them and you have riders that are happy riding to work and back and riders that happily ride to CA and back.

The NC can do both with aplomb with the requisite additions of equipment and it's a rare bike that enthusiastic owners leave as it came out of the box. The NC is no different. It needs modifications to wind management and suspension to compete with more capable bikes that cost $5,000 to $10,000 more new and the cost differences new (or used) buys a lot of farkles and gasoline. IMO the NC is the modern era equivalent of the BMW airheads of the 70s to 90s. They possess adequate power to travel long distances and operating costs are very low. Other bikes may be faster, quicker, flashier or more luxurious but a simple bike with less can be more. If one typically day rides close to home the NC needs very little to excel in that role. Several hundred dollars fixes the fork and a few hundred more in a seat are well spent.

My only concern with the NC as the last bike for the autumn years is the seat height. The center of gravity and mass are commendably low and centralized but we have to touch the ground with our feet at some point and push the bike around garages and parking lots. I personally raised the seat height on mine as a result of suspension and seat mods and it's the limit for me at approximately 33.75". I'm 63 with a >29" leg reach to ground. I know I can take my NC 1 to 1.5" down as I age.

Back