• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Time/speed on highways

Honda333

Reaction score
Visit site
Needing to travel approximately 150 miles 2-3 times a month at highway speeds 65-75 mph. Maybe not the ideal bike for interstate travel, but I am thinking this shouldn’t be an issue. (?) I know the bike is capable, but I don’t want to prematurely wear it out either. Being a long stroke motor the 700 should at least be turning a lot lower RPM than say a Suzuki 650 V Strom ( and I hear those guys run 70-80 all day long). I have owned ,wrenched on and rode many bikes, but this may be my last, so I want to have fun with it for 10-15 yrs ( hopefully). Thanks for any replies, suggestions, feedback. Great Forum BTW.

Needing to travel approximately 150 miles 2-3 times a month at highway speeds 65-75 mph. Maybe not the ideal bike for interstate travel, but I am thinking this shouldn’t be an issue. (?) I know the bike is capable, but I don’t want to prematurely wear it out either. Being a long stroke motor the 700 should at least be turning a lot lower RPM than say a Suzuki 650 V Strom ( and I hear those guys run 70-80 all day long). I have owned ,wrenched on and rode many bikes, but this may be my last, so I want to have fun with it for 10-15 yrs ( hopefully). Thanks for any replies, suggestions, feedback. Great Forum BTW.
You have no need to worry. Just keep up with the maintenance items. Valves are an easy 1 to 2 hr job. Put an auto chain oiler on it. I like my Cameleon plus. Excellent DIY threads on here. If you plan on putting over 200,000 miles on it I still think you don't have to worry. Especially as you know how to wrench!!!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

We know of several NC700Xs with over 100,000 miles on them. I don't know of any properly maintained NC700Xs that have worn out. I'd say don't worry about it.

I run 100 miles a day back and forth to work between 70 and 75 most of the time.This bike is the manual. I just passed 7000 miles but I expect that I will get 100k out of this bike. That said, I am probably going to go with the smaller rear sprocket in the next couple of months. But for right now this bike is running around 4000 rpms at 75 mph. Which is not bad for a 2 cylinder, especially water-cooled, and should be able to do that all day long. Sitting on the stock seat all day is another story...

Thanks for the replies. I’ll be getting a new NC700 X after the first of the yr. I see a NEW 2014 on a showroom floor that seems reasonable in price. I’m coming from much bigger bikes and know that torque wins in the real world. I’m glad to hear others have rode many highway miles at 70+, 4000 rpm doesn’t seem to bad, especially from a well made engine/ bike. Good to hear/ see others with high mileage on this forum too. Although I’m old, I can hardly wait. ( anticipation!). I’m also going to post elsewhere adout a new modular helmet I’m looking at, to get feedback ( if any ) on the one I thinking about. Thanks.

Last edited:
I've done a handful of Saddlesore 1000's on NC700Xs, riding 70-80 mph for at least 1000+ miles in 18 hours or less. They don't miss a beat and the bike gets 50 mpg at a steady 80 mph as long as there is little headwind.

Speaking of modular helmets, it is one of those that is more likely to cause trouble.

I've had issues with my past 2 modulars on long rides of over 50 miles.
With my current Shoei Neotec 1 I was getting a pinching feeling right at my hairline on my forehead, right in the middle. I pulled over to give my head some relief and upon examination (of the helmet) saw that there were several possible issues. It could be the stitching of the lining or the interior hard padding that forms a block shape right there. I put on the helmet and made sure it felt smoothed down and didn't have an issue for the next 80 miles home.
I will be bringing along some moleskin on my next long ride in case the issue returns.

As for the NC700X DCT, it ran fine, just like I was riding to work. There is a drop in MPG the faster I go over 70 mph, which can limit my range.
My Sargeant seat made the bike very comfortable, with no need to pull over every 50-60 miles and get off the bike for a few minutes, like on my previous Ninja 250 and Ninja 650R.

I wear a modular and did 16x400(avg) mile days in a row. No problem. I think the shape of your head needs to match the shape of the helmet..and of course the right size.

All good to know about the bike / speed / info and the info about helmets. Probably only reasonI though the HJC Max ll would be good is because I’ve owned a lot of that brand over the yrs. they fit my head better than a few Shoei helmets I’ve owned. Not opposed to other brands though. I try to keep an open mind , study tests, reviews, and any other info. when a new purchase of anything comes up.

All good to know about the bike / speed / info and the info about helmets. Probably only reasonI though the HJC Max ll would be good is because I’ve owned a lot of that brand over the yrs. they fit my head better than a few Shoei helmets I’ve owned. Not opposed to other brands though. I try to keep an open mind , study tests, reviews, and any other info. when a new purchase of anything comes up.
Try a shuberth

Needing to travel approximately 150 miles 2-3 times a month <big snip>I want to have fun with it for 10-15 yrs

10 years would put you at around 65,000 miles and 5 years after that you will still be a tick under 100,000 miles.

I think you will be good!

It isn't how many years the motorcycle will last it is the number of miles.

...something to consider. I have a 2012 manual NC, I too have a lot of Interstate/freeway in my area to get anywhere. I am currently running a 17T primary, 39T rear sprocket(thanks Chris) and a slightly taller rear tire of 150/70-17. Each netted me a couple of hundred lower rpm's. Right now i'm running about 3k at 80mph according to my Montana 600. The felt torque/pull of the NC is incredible when you drop a gear and roll the throttle to pass someone. Gotta love the NC! :{)

This morning the 405 freeway was really moving (a big rarity) and I was pushing 80 mph indicated.
When my off ramp was coming up I got over into the right hand lanes and dropped down to 73-75 and it felt much more stable and smooth and the lower speeds.
I don't know if it's the aerodynamics, suspension or what, but the NC is not like those bigger adventure bikes that can really take the hits on the suspension and feel planted at those higher speeds.

This morning the 405 freeway was really moving (a big rarity) and I was pushing 80 mph indicated.
When my off ramp was coming up I got over into the right hand lanes and dropped down to 73-75 and it felt much more stable and smooth and the lower speeds.
I don't know if it's the aerodynamics, suspension or what, but the NC is not like those bigger adventure bikes that can really take the hits on the suspension and feel planted at those higher speeds.
Most manufacturers have to compromise on things to keep the price down. Honda chose the suspension and the brakes on the NC700X. Adventure bikes are thousands more in cost. Brakes and suspension are adequate for most people who will use this bike. For ~ $1000 or less you can really change your suspension all around. Will make a big difference for you especially if you are a bigger person. After two years all of my bikes get new fork springs as they seem to really dive after two years. I'm 6'3 270#

yeah...I upgraded to Cogent suspension. Really changed the bike. Now I need some new tires. My PR4's are getting odd shaped.

PR3, PR4, PR5...the progression and price continues...but I like the tire. Had thought about getting an 80/20 tire for this year. Maybe some Shinko 705's.

I really wish we had the VFR800x over here in the US. It looks a complete package without a big pricetag ($11k approximately). It also has standard ABS, traction control, an adjustable windscreen and adjustable suspension that is superior to the NC. Surprisingly, it isn’t offered with the DCT even though the VFR1200 has it. The VFR seems to have the perfect blend of engine size, horsepower, torque and an insanely smooth ride. The rider reviews of that bike seem to be really good as well. The handlebar vibration around 75 mph on my 2015 NC really hurts me on 300-400 mile days. I am still dealing with some numbness and tingling from a 1,600 mile trip I took about 3 weeks ago.

Last edited:
I really wish we had the VFR800x over here in the US. That bike seems like the perfect size engine without a big pricetag ($11k approximately). It also has traction control and adjustable suspension that is superior to the NC. Surprisingly, it isn’t offered with the DCT even though the VFR1200 has it. The 800 It has the perfect blend of engine size, horsepower, torque and an insanely smooth ride. The rider reviews of that bike seem to be really good as well. The handlebar vibration around 75 mph on my 2015 NC really hurts me on 300-400 mile days. I am still dealing with some numbness and tingling from a 1,600 mile trip I took about 3 weeks ago.

In a prior post you said you have SW-Motech hand guards. I’m curious if you removed any bar weights and if that’s increasing your handlebar vibration. I have all my stock weights in place with cycle gear hand guards, and bar vibration is not something that ever crosses my mind on my NC. I do know that some NCs are smoother than others, so maybe it’s just random chance on the bar vibration.

Back