• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Garage Tools

Sasmaster

Reaction score
Visit site
I’m a new rider and new owner of a 2012 standard model nc700x. Now that the bike is in the garage I figure its time to invest in some additional tools for maintenance. I dont have motorcycle specific tools, just metric sockets. What tools would you recommend to complete the “motorcycle” garage?

Thanks in advance!

Would get 27mm socket/wrench for rear wheel axle. Also to remove the front wheel, you’ll need a 17mm allen I believe. Chain tools are helpful as well as wheel bearing removal tool. If you plan to do your own tires, there’s a lot of tools for that as well. Air pump would be good. That’s all I can think of on top of my head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're going to replace your chain, get a master link rivet tool. I use a Motion Pro PBR tool, and it has done about four chains without any trouble.

Working on a motorcycle, you absolutely must have a set of torque wrenches. Guessing at how tight the bolts are is total nonsense, and can lead to fasteners breaking, aluminum threads stripping, or things coming loose. You will need two, possibly three torque wrenches to cover the range from at least 7 inch pounds to 72 foot pounds.

Ditto on needing a 17mm hex bit for the front axle.

You'll need feeler gauges to adjust the valves.

What you think are Phillips screws on a Japanese motorcycle are really made to the Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS), and are shaped slightly different than Phillips. If you get a set of #1, #2, and #3 JIS drivers from Vessel or other brands, you'll be amazed how much better grip you'll get on the cross head screws.

RJR Cool Tools > Screwdrivers > JIS

Last edited:
I am reminded of the garage scene in the movie Gran Torino. I've been collecting tools for 45 years, long enough to know I have a certain odd one but not sure where it is.

A set of combination (box end/open end) 8mm to 17mm wrenches cover almost any motorcycle fastener in my garage and on the NC700X. The rear axle is a 27mm nut and a 22 mm bolt. I have sockets this size but prefer to use box end wrenches instead - a standard 1 1/16" and 7/8" oddly enough also fit these fasteners.

+1 on the JIS screwdrivers. Best things since sliced bread. They also work well on regular screws too.

I also have a chain alignment tool. Motion Pro I think. It clamps on the rear sprocket and has a steel rod that helps you align the rear wheel&sprocket to be in line with the chain. It is fairly simple and inexpensive. Not absolutely needed but it is helpful.

JT

Thanks for the advice guys! I'll definitely look into acquiring those tools. What about a lift table? They don't seem too expensive.

there are a few that others have "home built" on here. And of course there is always the Harbor Freight model that works pretty good, or a good used one on craig's list possibly.
:{)

Never used a lift table before. All the general maintenance items are fairly easy. I use an anti fatigue mat in the garage to cushion the garage floor when changing oil or lube / adjusting the chain.

JT

If it doesn't have the center stand, get it. Lift table might be helpful but most of your maintenance can be done just sitting on the center stand. Also, a good set of torx sockets are helpful, I find.

FYI many electronic and brand specific ,special and even priority tools,testers, and equipment can be purchased from the Owatonna tool co, in Owatonna Wisconsin.

Back