• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Rubbing noise on the chain/sprocket

Gr8Wahooka

Reaction score
Visit site
So here's a curious one. Last weekend I tightened up the chain, cleaned and lubed it all up. Took the bike for a test ride and it sounded like something was rubbing around the chain or sprocket. It didn't affect performance at all but it just sounded odd. Not sure if the brake pads are a little off or what it might be. The chain/wheel is all aligned correctly. I squirted some extra chain oil around the front and rear sprocket but still this sound persists. Should I be concerned?

Tight chains are noisy. Make sure you didn’t overtighten it. I always set mine to the far loose side of spec. Chains seem to last longer that way.

Tight chains are noisy. Make sure you didn’t overtighten it. I always set mine to the far loose side of spec. Chains seem to last longer that way.

Alright, I'll give that a try. I don't think I over tightened it, but it was really, really loose. I'm surprised it didn't jump the sprocket.

+1 on tight chain being noisy. Also, don't forget to set the chain tension on the side stand, not the center stand.

-Saturday

Nothing like resurrecting an old thread, but I think this is what I need to do tomorrow for my bike too: I've noticed a rubbing noise from the front sprocket as I ride, particularly as I decelerate (if I hold in the clutch and let it coast to a stop).

I was trying to think why the sound wasn't constant but came rhythmically - and it occurs if I've set my chain slack not at a tight point but a loose point, it's probably the tight point that's making the rubbing noise as it goes around the sprocket...

Long as the chain isn't too tight and you can't see anything out of place upon thorough visual inspection, I wouldn't worry about it. If something is wrong, it will make itself known later. LOL

Back