• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Replace a missing horn?

StrudelMan

Reaction score
Visit site
I virtually never have occasion to use the horn on my NC700, so I was a bit surprised the other day when I finally tried to beep at a van merging into me, only for it not to work. I checked it out when I got home and found a rather stark reason - my horn was missing altogether, apparently torn or broken right off the bike, along with the wires running to it. Picture attached:

20181101_195922.jpg

I'd like to replace it, obviously. The problem is with those power wires for it. There's no visible trace of them left on the bike, and the shop manual I have is surprisingly unhelpful in telling or showing exactly where they're supposed to come from.

shop.jpg

The only place that seems plausible to me is up into the wiring harness there. Problem is, it seems awfully small - and as you can see, I've cut into mine a decent distance and have only been able to find the two wires going to the O2 sensor and the EOP switch. Which leaves me a bit stumped. Can anybody help me out? Where are those horn wires actually meant to hook up? And if they eventually end up going into a junction somewhere above the engine, as I suspect, am I going to be able to attach a new one without taking virtually all the bodywork off my bike?

Hm. Yes, that's a little unclear - the horn wires might be that pair a little to the left of where they show "24," perhaps? Though if so, it does seem to show them heading into that bundle that I cut into without success. Thanks for the link.

According to the Service Manual (all NC700 models), the wires for the horn are Black with a Green trace (hot) and solid Green (ground).

Here’s a snapshot of the horn portion of the schematic showing these two wires.

d82f67b46ce215cad359c5c560c2c577.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

According to the Service Manual (all NC700 models), the wires for the horn are Black with a Green trace (hot) and solid Green (ground).
I just looked at the wires and both are solid black. Kinda dark in my garage so i will look agauhin later with a bright light, but if there is green, it is a very dark (blackish) green

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Yes they do go into the wire bundle. According to the schematic, should be 4 wires in that small bundle.
All right! That's what I really needed to know. Guess I've got to cut further up to find out where the things were detached...

edit: Yep, found the broken ends - they were way the heck up in the bundle, near the first bend in the adjacent metal frame. Still wonder if somebody just randomly broke and tore off my horn, or if the shop did it when they fixed my transmission and I simply didn't notice at the time.

Last edited:
All right! That's what I really needed to know. Guess I've got to cut further up to find out where the things were detached...

edit: Yep, found the broken ends - they were way the heck up in the bundle, near the first bend in the adjacent metal frame. Still wonder if somebody just randomly broke and tore off my horn, or if the shop did it when they fixed my transmission and I simply didn't notice at the time.

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but what was the repair done to the transmission?

I've got a 2012 stock horn I could let you have for shipping costs, if you need it.
Already ordered a new one, but thanks for the offer.

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but what was the repair done to the transmission?
The gear selector got stuck in --; my understanding is that it had a bad shifter pin, which had to be replaced. Fortunately it was still under warranty at the time.

The gear selector got stuck in --; my understanding is that it had a bad shifter pin, which had to be replaced. Fortunately it was still under warranty at the time.

Thanks for the feedback. It seems that the common DCT failures are the shifter pin, the shift motor, the shift angle sensor, as well as problems from a weak battery condition.

Back