• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Larger Rear Sprocket on DCT

Hondo53

Reaction score
Visit site
:DI accidentally ordered Chain and Sprockets for the non DCT version. When I got them in and checked the book.....OOPS. So I thought about it and then found a post in here where someone else had done the same and installed the larger rear sprocket and liked the results, so I thought why not try it. Dang if I don't love it.
I have a 2012 DCT and I have not liked the Drive setting as it lugs too much. Now it only barely lugs. And the Sport setting is now Super Sport. I also have more spunk off the line and acceleration is improved. I am running 60mph at 3000 rpm and 80 at apx. 3100 rpm. Also a longer chain with a larger sprocket should last longer. Only downside I see is it may cost me some MPG.

I see no reason why the DCT did not come with the same chain and sprockets as the standard version does.

IMHO Spike out

Last edited:
The internal transmission gear ratios are slightly different on DCT vs manual. The final drive gearing difference (39 vs 43 rear) compensates and makes the overall gearing for the two models very close to the same.

The actual speedometer accuracy would have been affected by your sprocket swap. Your speedometer vs tach reading would not have changed since the bike doesn’t know you put a different sprocket on back.

The internal transmission gear ratios are slightly different on DCT vs manual. The final drive gearing difference (39 vs 43 rear) compensates and makes the overall gearing for the two models very close to the same.

The actual speedometer accuracy would have been affected by your sprocket swap. Your speedometer vs tach reading would not have changed since the bike doesn’t know you put a different sprocket on back.
Yep, Greg. I’ve been enjoying use of 16/41 sprockets on my DCT’s for years and absorb the poorer gas mileage.

Ray

GPS 40 reads 42 and GPS 70 reads 75 on Speado... But I can live with it and adjust. Might just keep me from getting a ticket or two.

Doesn't the ABS work less efficiently?
It seems it kicks in a bit late which can cause the rear tire to start sliding/skidding a bit.
I've gone from 42T to 44T rear sprocket due to smaller than OE wheels (17" from OE 18")
The extra 2T corrects the speedo error caused by the smaller wheel size,
but the change in ABS and TC made me nervous.
The solution provided by RallyRaid is a modified ABS ring for the rear tire to make the ECU happy.

I went 1 tooth down on the front and it made a significant difference in performance and being able to wind out 6th gear. I believe I tried to go 2 teeth and the computer was all confused and shifting was all off.

Back