• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Any DOT 4 LV users here?

MZ5

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a big bottle of Pentosin DOT 4 LV to flush the brakes on my pickup. Figured I'd use it on the bike, too. Anyone else here used the LV stuff in their NCX? Any differences or anomalies to report, vs. 'regular' DOT 4?

I don't use the Low Viscosity DOT 4 in my NC, but BMW calls for it for my 1200GS that has ABS. It may work better, or be easier to bleed an ABS system (small diameter passageways in the controller) with lower viscosity brake fluid. I have seen that there are a number of folks that use regular DOT 4 in their BMW's without any issues. I know if I ran out of regular DOT 4 and had LV DOT 4, I would use that.

I think I’m about to find out how it feels and works in the NCX. :)
I do have a bit of ‘regular’ on hand, but it was first opened a couple years ago and it’s just a plastic bottle, so I believe it’s going into the recycle drum.

I think I’m about to find out how it feels and works in the NCX. :)
I do have a bit of ‘regular’ on hand, but it was first opened a couple years ago and it’s just a plastic bottle, so I believe it’s going into the recycle drum.

Do not use opened brake fluid. It is a hygroscopic fluid, meaning that it absorbs moisture from the air. Once a bottle of brake fluid is opened water gets into it. Several years old and it is a guarantee. You do not want water in your brake fluid, it is bad for the system.

And plastic containers let various molecules through them, too. That's part of the point, and why I don't intend to use my 'leftover' fluid. I forgot it was there, else it'd already have been recycled.

To tie this off:
The DOT 4 LV fluid feels the same in my non-ABS machine, as far as commuter-type riding is concerned.

Low viscosity fluid should be easier to bleed, with less chance of air bubbles.
Reason being, low viscosity allows the air bubbles to float to the 'top' faster.

Test it by shaking two small clear bottles of each type and see how long it takes for the bubbles to clear out.

And plastic containers let various molecules through them, too.

Same can be said of ANY material. Everything is porous.
It's a question of time and environment.
Take a bottle of brake fluid that has rested at the bottom of the ocean for some time, or a bottle that is used that has been in an air conditioned basement.
I'm happy to use brake fluid that has sat in an opened bottle for a year. I'm just a teeny bit happier to toss it and use a fresh bottle.
Seriously though, close the lid tight and store it inside next to your cereal and you'll be fine for a year or two.

Back