• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

How long have your tires been lasting on the NC700?

Hollaway21

Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought another set of the Shinko 705's which will be my 3rd rear tire and 2nd front tire. Unfortunately I cannot install them myself and will have to pay a little more, but I got them during an Ebay %15 off shipped both to my house for ~$149. I was at first very tempted to try the Michelin Pilot Road 5's but couldn't justify the cost difference. I do roughly ~50 miles a day commuting M-F, go on 1-2 big trips a year and the occasional weekend camping trip.

Here is my current Shinko 705 rear tire at a little over 9,500 miles:

rear 2.jpg
rear 3.jpg
rear tire 1.jpg

Here is my Shinko 705 front tire at a little over 17,600 miles:

(Look at the 2nd picture closely to see some bulging I am not sure what that is but I am sure it means it's ready to be replace)

front 3.jpg
front 2.jpg
front tire 1.jpg

new tires.jpg

I feel these tires have lasted me a really long time but am I trying to stretch too many miles out of them?

How long have you been getting out of your make and model of tires on the NC700?

Hey Holl, that is fantastic mileage!! Good for you! I'm so glad to hear that you have had such good luck with your 705's. After reading a lot of reviews and great feed-back from a lot of folks here, I have decided to run a set/pair of them on my NC for my Alaska trip spring of 2019. Those should easily last me up there and back! I only got 5800 miles out of my original factory tires, so i grabbed a pair that were on sale just to get me through the remainder of this riding season. I have a local/small Mom-Pop tire shop that lets me use their tire machine so i can do my own. Then balance them myself as well with the axle shaft on a pair of stands. Works pretty good to! :{)

I ride Continental Motion tires and get 10K out of them consistenly.

Do the Shinko tires have "TWI" marks? Thread Wear Indicators? If so, that might help you determine when they've worn down enough to be replaced.

I’ve only ever run pure street tires on my NCX. Without checking my service log closely, I believe I’ve had all the different tires I’ve tried last from 10k to 15k miles for a rear tire. Fronts last longer for me. Maybe 2x as long, maybe not, but much longer than rears. I’ve run Metzeler, Michelin, Continental, and Pirelli on the NCX. The Contis lasted the shortest for me, but were the lowest priced. Longest lasting were either OEM Metzies or Michelins, but I haven’t worn out a rear Pirelli yet for comparison.

How long have you been getting out of your make and model of tires on the NC700?
First off, I want say how knarly those tires look on your bike. For looks alone I would give them a try :cool:

Factory tires were Pirelli Scorpions. Replaced at 10,260 miles.

Next were Michelin Pilot V they went another 10,558 miles.

After the Michelins I tried Dunlop RoadSmart II. Liked these a lot. Replaced them 11,114 miles later. Liked the RoadSmarts so much I went looking for another pair....

Found out the RoadSmart III had replaced the II so I spooned a pair of IIIs on. Today, after 17,556 miles, I replaced just the rear. Front looks hardly worn but I haven't measured it.

My go to tire is now the Dunlop RoadSmartIII. Love it.

EDIT: every single one of these tires sets EXCEPT for the RoadSmartIII were replaced prematurely. I was heading out on a long ride and couldn't be bothered with tire changes mid trip. All of those tires could have gone thousands of miles more. I also run TPMs.

Last edited:
When I was trying to decide whether to try and commute on a bike I was talking to the Honda salesman and mentioned that one of the factors involved is the higher cost of MC parts. He wanted to claim that wasn't true and when I pointed out that tires alone can cost more for two than 4 on my pickup he couldn't believe it. I had also priced other parts for comparison like the radiator which is 5 times more than the one I just got for my pickup. I did know going in that tires alone would make a big difference in total cost per mile and I know that I will probably have to replace the factory tires around 10k, if I'm lucky. Thank you ld_rider, I know that I will be getting the Dunlops when that happens.

Anyway, let me spell it out. 4 tires on my pickup run me under $300 and last around 40 to 50 thousand miles. I don't expect that on the bike. If I get 15k (average) and pay less than $400 a pair then I think that I'll be happy. I am much more laid back than I was with my last bike though. I haven't smoked the tire all the way through the intersection with this bike.

I've been running the Bridgestone brand since new.

OE tires were the T23's, upgraded to the T30, and now have the T30 Evo's. Current mileage is 25,000 with the T30 Evo rear needing replacement soon. Average it all out and it is about 8k-ish on the Bridgestones.

Mostly commuting 20 miles a day with some weekend jaunts.

I used 705's on my KLR, so both lighter and less power than the NC. I sure would have liked to get your mileage out of them. I guess I ran the bike harder than I thought.

When I was trying to decide whether to try and commute on a bike I was talking to the Honda salesman and mentioned that one of the factors involved is the higher cost of MC parts. He wanted to claim that wasn't true and when I pointed out that tires alone can cost more for two than 4 on my pickup he couldn't believe it. I had also priced other parts for comparison like the radiator which is 5 times more than the one I just got for my pickup. I did know going in that tires alone would make a big difference in total cost per mile and I know that I will probably have to replace the factory tires around 10k, if I'm lucky. Thank you ld_rider, I know that I will be getting the Dunlops when that happens.

Anyway, let me spell it out. 4 tires on my pickup run me under $300 and last around 40 to 50 thousand miles. I don't expect that on the bike. If I get 15k (average) and pay less than $400 a pair then I think that I'll be happy. I am much more laid back than I was with my last bike though. I haven't smoked the tire all the way through the intersection with this bike.

$300 for a set of truck tires!?! They are often more than that each here. but yah they will last 80,000 km where two rear and one front motorcycle tire would cost me $500 and last 20,000. I would spend $2,000 on bike tires in 80,000 km compared to $1,200 on truck tires.

The big difference for me is fuel efficiency. I have been riding around 10,000 km a year. With fuel at about $1.30/l I save ~$1300 in fuel, but then pay ~$1100 in insurance. So ignoring regular maintenance, compared to just having my truck using my NC in the summer for commuting costs me $100 more tire wear, I save $1300 in fuel, but then I pay $1100 in insurance. So it nets a $100/year saving! Oh but then I need gear and farkles. Yah having and commuting by motorcycle doesn't really help my wallet, but I feel it helps my mental health.

To answer the original question: using Shinko 805s on the rear and a TKC80 on the front I have been getting a bit better than 12k km (7k miles) on the rear and 20k km (12k miles) on the front riding a combination of dirt gravel and pavement. Change your tires when you feel its time. What you are doing seems pretty reasonable.

Last edited:
$300 for a set of truck tires!?! They are often more than that each here. but yah they will last 80,000 km where two rear and one front motorcycle tire would cost me $500 and last 20,000. I would spend $2,000 on bike tires in 80,000 km compared to $1,200 on truck tires.

The big difference for me is fuel efficiency. I have been riding around 10,000 km a year. With fuel at about $1.30/l I save ~$1300 in fuel, but then pay ~$1100 in insurance. So ignoring regular maintenance, compared to just having my truck using my NC in the summer for commuting costs me $100 more tire wear, I save $1300 in fuel, but then I pay $1100 in insurance. So it nets a $100/year saving! Oh but then I need gear and farkles. Yah having and commuting by motorcycle doesn't really help my wallet, but I feel it helps my mental health.

To answer the original question: using Shinko 805s on the rear and a TKC80 on the front I have been getting a bit better than 12k km (7k miles) on the rear and 20k km (12k miles) on the front riding a combination of dirt gravel and pavement. Change your tires when you feel its time. What you are doing seems pretty reasonable.
I also ran the math and even using an old Honda accord instead of my truck, my results were the same as yours, little to no savings, and yet I'm very rarely driving the cat or truck (2 or 3 weeks a year)

I'm in California where it's legal to split lanes and traffic is horrible so riding the motorcycle is a great improvement [emoji3]

Volume and competition create lower prices on manufactured goods.
There is less volume and competition on motorcycle tires than on automobile and truck tires.

What size are you getting the 705's. I see 150's but haven't see 160's

Of the two close sizes, the 150/70 works best. Plus, it’s cheaper than the 170/60.

The 150/70 has a bit more diameter than the stock 160/60, so your gearing will be a little bit taller, and your speedo will read a tad less than actual speed.

Thanks...I was thinking about the Shinkos for my next set. Been thinking about doing the MABDR and probably use these tires. I had them on my DR650 when I did the first part of the TAT. Only had trouble on one sandy section and thats because I don't know how to ride sand.

Only had trouble on one sandy section and thats because I don't know how to ride sand.

Don't blame yourself. The heavy front end and small front wheel of the NC is not the right tool for riding in sand, anyway.

Back