• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

How many miles on your DCT?

ld_rider

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got 50,000+ miles, mostly under extreme riding conditions (two Iron Butt rides) with no issues.

I commute about 60 miles/day on it during the school year unless there is freezing rain or snow. I do ride it year round and it has never been on a battery tender. Since I have the summers off, I do most of my high mile rides then.

How has your DCT been treating you?

How has your DCT been treating you?

Responding to the questions literally, my 2012 Ford Fiesta DCT has 103,000 miles. The clutch pack was replaced under warranty at 97,000 miles due to jerky engagement, slippage, and noise. Ford extended the warranty to 100,000 miles due to the vast number of problems and customer complaints they’ve had with their DCT, called the PowerShift transmission. Currently the transmission in my car is working well. The sole reason I chose the DCT was that it’s an automatic that can be towed indefinitely behind an RV with four wheels down.

With Ford dropping most cars from its lineup, their DCT will likely die, too. News articles I noticed say that BMW is dropping DCT as an option in its cars. It seems possible that the use of DCT in automobiles may have reached it’s peak and is fading.

Last edited:
It seems possible that the use of DCT in automobiles may have reached it’s peak and is fading.
Agree, especially with the highly efficient CVTs that are becoming ubiquitous in economy cars.

DCTs will probably be found only in expensive super cars like Porsche, Lambos, and of course Ferrari and McLaren where the pursuit of pure performance trumps the economy and smoothness of conventional autos and CVTs.

My 2015 has 45000 miles.
Only needed tires, chain, oil changes, and a battery. Almost all miles are 2 up.

My 2013 DCT, that I bought late in 2014, has 27,000 miles, mostly from 2015 and 2016. My current 2-hour-each-way commute is very boring so I choose to drive my car.
No problems other than being dumb once in a rear tire change and I had to replace the rear brake sensor (THANKS Showkey for the help.)

A 2015 bought new the end of August 2015. ~20,000 miles and zero issues. I rode only for fun, no commuting, but it hasn’t let me down once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Responding to the questions literally, my 2012 Ford Fiesta DCT has 103,000 miles. The clutch pack was replaced under warranty at 97,000 miles due to jerky engagement, slippage, and noise. Ford extended the warranty to 100,000 miles due to the vast number of problems and customer complaints they’ve had with their DCT, called the PowerShift transmission. Currently the transmission in my car is working well. The sole reason I chose the DCT was that it’s an automatic that can be towed indefinitely behind an RV with four wheels down.

With Ford dropping most cars from its lineup, their DCT will likely die, too. News articles I noticed say that BMW is dropping DCT as an option in its cars. It seems possible that the use of DCT in automobiles may have reached it’s peak and is fading.
I remember reading an article about consumer complaints at DCT transmissions in automobiles a few years ago. The premise was that something like 90% of DCT owners have never owned or driven a manual transmission car and they expect a DCT to behave as smoothly, quietly, and transparently as a torque converter transmission does instead of the sound and sensations of a dual clutch manual transmission shifting itself with an automatic gear change mechanism. Even if the vehicle is operating exactly as designed some owners do not like it. Honda was forced to redesign it's DCT transmissions 5 years ago by adding a torque converter to smooth the operation when starting and stopping. This seemed to quell consumer complaints that plagued pure DCTs in automobiles.

BMW reportedly believes DCTs cannot handle high output engines and are going back to torque converter type automatics in the future. In smaller, lighter fuel efficient automobiles DCT and CVT transmissions may still offer advantages over torque converter automatics.

BMW reportedly believes DCTs cannot handle high output engines and are going back to torque converter type automatics in the future. In smaller, lighter fuel efficient automobiles DCT and CVT transmissions may still offer advantages over torque converter automatics.

Honda CVT on the (automotive side) use a torque converter. They dropped the start clutch because of poor feel (drive ability), chatter and short life. Converter resolved those issues.

Back